Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Nice jewellery - no drawers !

HI Owain

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 19:25:18 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Adrian wrote:
There's never enough space on my market stall to display 'all' of the
hand-made glass jewellery that I have with me. When a customer asks to
see 'the other stuff', I end up having to 'burrow' through boxes of
stuff - which al looks a bit unprofessional.
So - what I was looking for was the sort of thing that used to be
called a 'collectors cabinet' - having wide but shallow drawers g -
to store and display the boxed up jewellery (boxes are less than one
inch tall)... Maybe 4 - 6 drawers - each one maybe 1ft x 2ft....

Bisley make metal filing cabinets with shallow drawers, in A4 or A3 size

http://www.bisley.co.uk/multidrawers.asp

Look a bit 'officey' (not surprising, perhaps ? g)
Also may be a bit heavy...

Plan chests might be too big, but wooden ones often go for a pittance
second-hand because so many drawing offices are moving to CAD and not
keeping lots of drawings.

http://www.bisley.co.uk/planfiles.asp

Yes - similar problems to the other units above

The type of plastic trays in storage units used in primary schools are
"gratnell trays", eg

http://www.classroomessentials.co.uk...6&dept%5Fid=19

Pricey !

Probably easiest to make your own though out of some plywood for the
sides and dividers with hardboard bottom. Route out a groove in 3 sides
and have the fourth side shallower, and you can have a slide-in lid
(clear plastic) which will show off everything nicely, keep stuff from
moving about, and protect against sticky- or light-fingered punters.

I think you are probably right....
Don't need dividers - could probably get away with treewood (say 1.5"
x .5") for the sides and hardboard or very thin ply for the bottoms.

Then just need some kind of framework into which they can slide.

Don't need the slide-in lid, it'll all be under close supervision g
- also, people need to be able to take stuff out and move it in the
light . try it on etc....

Looks like I need to do some diy - though that was going to be the
answer g

Thanks
Adrian