Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tumble dryer requirements

It's not exactly a DIY question, but I can't find a better UK group to
ask, and you're always all so helpful (flatter, flatter).

I'm looking for a tumble dryer to go in my cellar. (It's dry enough
and the washing machine and freezer are already happily working down
there). Apparently I'm being a bit fussy because I can find very few
machines that do what I want.

1) It has to be a condenser, because I can't vent it down there.

2) I want a pump-to-drain option because I can't be arsed with
fiddling about emptying tubs of water all the time.

3) In a token nod towards global warming (and my leccy bill) it has to
have a humidity sensor so that it turns itself off when the stuff is
dry.

All I can find is the Hoover HHD780X which seems to fit the bill and
is not too bad at around £250 delivered.
http://www.hoover.co.uk/docs/product.asp?id=221

Any opinions on this model, Hoover dryers generally, or any other
recommendations?

Cheers!

Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PS I've just been doing late night google research, and have decided
that Hoover dryers may well be a pile of cack, not least because they
put a lot of moisture into the air. I've decided that I really want a
Bosch, but they don't make them with the pump-to-drain option.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:
PS I've just been doing late night google research, and have decided
that Hoover dryers may well be a pile of cack, not least because they
put a lot of moisture into the air. I've decided that I really want a
Bosch, but they don't make them with the pump-to-drain option.

You don't want a Bosch, trust me...

Miele.
http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/p....do?sku=325848

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grunff" wrote in message
Martin Pentreath wrote:
PS I've just been doing late night google research, and have decided
that Hoover dryers may well be a pile of cack, not least because they
put a lot of moisture into the air. I've decided that I really want a
Bosch, but they don't make them with the pump-to-drain option.

Not directly no, but my Classixx condensors water tray (well drawer) is at
the top. There is a pump which runs up to this, you could modify a little
and clamp a hose onto the outlet into the drawer???

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Feb, 09:09, Grunff wrote:

You don't want a Bosch, trust me...

Miele.http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/p....do?sku=325848

Hi Grunff,

Miele would be fine, and that model looks perfect, except again it
won't do the pump-to-drain thing.
Doesn't seem much to ask to me, I would have thought it would be
fairly standard on the high-end machines,
but in fact in seems to be the low-end machines that have it.

Cheers!

Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:

Miele would be fine, and that model looks perfect, except again it
won't do the pump-to-drain thing.

It certainly does - we have one sitting in our utility room doing just that!

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Feb, 09:59, Grunff wrote:
Martin Pentreath wrote:
Miele would be fine, and that model looks perfect, except again it
won't do the pump-to-drain thing.

It certainly does - we have one sitting in our utility room doing just that!

--
Grunffhttp://www.greendoug.com- a forum for all things environmental

OK, fantastic, the Comet website is strangely silent on that point! It
looks like you've
solved my problem.

Cheers!

Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:

OK, fantastic, the Comet website is strangely silent on that point! It
looks like you've
solved my problem.

Sad as it may sound, that is probably my favourite domestic appliance of
all time.

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Feb, 23:28, "Martin Pentreath"
wrote:

[...]

Better option:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Clothes_Dryer

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Second to Mrs Grunff, I'm sure you meant to say :-)

Shhh! She reads this!

--
Grunff
http://www.greendoug.com - a forum for all things environmental

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Feb, 18:11, Grunff wrote:
Owain wrote:
Second to Mrs Grunff, I'm sure you meant to say :-)

Shhh! She reads this!

--
Grunffhttp://www.greendoug.com- a forum for all things environmental

I too have a miele condenser, a T4262C and it does all you require.

However, we have just moved house and in our last house we had a
vented AEG (integrated) tumble dryer, it was fantastic. If I could
choose again, I'd have vented, they are more efficient and quicker
(well, in my experience). the better ventilated your room, the better
performance and efficiency you will get from your condenser so as you
are in basement, consider installing a vent / fan if it can be done
fairly easily.

I shopped around on the net a lot for our washing machine and tumble
dryer, this was in december and I got the best price inc delivery from
coop-electrical:

http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/...E-TDR-T4262W-W

Good Luck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-22 14:03:42 +0000, Owain said:

Grunff wrote:
Sad as it may sound, that is probably my favourite domestic appliance
of all time.

Second to Mrs Grunff, I'm sure you meant to say :-)

Owain

Don't endanger the poor guy's life.

Besides... this is really the punchline to "why do brides wear white?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-02-22 14:03:42 +0000, Owain said:

Grunff wrote:
Sad as it may sound, that is probably my favourite domestic appliance
of all time.

Second to Mrs Grunff, I'm sure you meant to say :-)

Owain

Don't endanger the poor guy's life.

Besides... this is really the punchline to "why do brides wear white?"

You may want to consider a used Miele dryer or a 'graded' one. It may
not matter to you if it has a few scratches.
I bought a washer and dryer on EBay, both four years old and look like
new. They are built for 20 years use. The build quality is exceptional.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

If a few scratches aren't a problem in that location you may want to
consider a 'graded' dryer. I personally bought mine off Ebay, not new
graded but used and four years old with matching washing machine. They
look like new and I've never seen such good build quality. Miele
washers are built to do 5000 washes.
Another thing I would recommend are those Victorian style airer rails
that hang by pulleys from the ceiling- again sold on EBay. If you have
the room they would cut your drying bills if at least some drying was
done naturally.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham wrote:
I can vouch for Miele.

Our first Miele washing machine lasted 20 years and we had 5 children
all of whom had washable nappies.

Our first Miele tumble dryer (a condenser) lasted 18 years.

Both were bought in Germany long before the brand became established
here. Needless to say both were replaced by Mieles and we also have a
Miele dishwasher.

Sometimes even the cheapies can surprise you though. We've had our White
Knight gas tumble dryer for 17 years now and it's still going strong.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Miele.http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/p....do?sku=325848

WHICH said:

Miele T234C Novotronic

BEST BUY

This condenser tumble dryer from Miele is a Best Buy because it dries
evenly and has an excellent condenser.

It's a sensor dryer with a maximum capacity of 6kg, and takes 120
minutes to dry a full load of cottons fully. The sensor worked
perfectly in our tests, stopping drying at just the right time for
ironing or popping in the cupboard.

This entry-level model has a wide range of sensor programs. There's a
15 minute cold programme for airing clothes and a 60 minute fixed anti-
crease phase when the drier finishes.

Convenient features include LEDs, which light up to tell you which
stage of the drying cycle the machine has reached. You can choose
whether to have a program end buzzer.

As with all the Miele condenser dryers we've tested, getting at the
heat exchanger is a bit of a chore, but the water container and lint
filter are easy to clean.

Pros: Dries evenly, excellent at trapping water.

Cons: No delayed start function, door opening cannot be reversed.

Help With Tumble Dryer Nigel Heather UK diy 9 January 10th 06 01:52 PM
Help with tumble dryer please Andrew Cosway UK diy 2 June 3rd 05 03:36 PM
Tumble Dryer Marsha UK diy 15 February 17th 05 02:00 PM
tumble dryer which? Janet Tweedy UK diy 13 February 17th 04 09:34 PM