Janet Tweedy

Default tumble dryer which?

Our 3yr old Aquatronic dryer has just gone on the blink yet again, so
we intend to get a new one (probably Miele). The Aquatronic was a
Condenser which, though doing the job (when it worked), it did fill the
room with a fair bit of steam.
Tapping into expert knowledge here, would it be better to go back to a
vented dryer, are they more efficient/reliable? Don't mind bashing a
hole in the wall ( my earlier ones had a pipe through the door but I
Wouldn't go back to that method.)
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Andy Hall

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:31:32 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Our 3yr old Aquatronic dryer has just gone on the blink yet again, so
we intend to get a new one (probably Miele). The Aquatronic was a
Condenser which, though doing the job (when it worked), it did fill the
room with a fair bit of steam.
Tapping into expert knowledge here, would it be better to go back to a
vented dryer, are they more efficient/reliable? Don't mind bashing a
hole in the wall ( my earlier ones had a pipe through the door but I
Wouldn't go back to that method.)

We've had a Miele tumble dryer in daily use for about 12 years and
this one vents to the outside.

It had one fault in early life (a failed on/off switch replaced under
warranty) and has otherwise performed faultlessly It still looks as
good as new.

I think that if you can deliver the damp air outside it makes sense.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Lurch

wrote:

Our 3yr old Aquatronic dryer has just gone on the blink yet again, so
we intend to get a new one (probably Miele). The Aquatronic was a
Condenser which, though doing the job (when it worked), it did fill the
room with a fair bit of steam.
Tapping into expert knowledge here, would it be better to go back to a
vented dryer, are they more efficient/reliable? Don't mind bashing a
hole in the wall ( my earlier ones had a pipe through the door but I
Wouldn't go back to that method.)

I'd go for, and recommend, a vented every time.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
the q

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Our 3yr old Aquatronic dryer has just gone on the blink yet again, so
we intend to get a new one (probably Miele). The Aquatronic was a
Condenser which, though doing the job (when it worked), it did fill the
room with a fair bit of steam.
Tapping into expert knowledge here, would it be better to go back to a
vented dryer, are they more efficient/reliable? Don't mind bashing a
hole in the wall ( my earlier ones had a pipe through the door but I
Wouldn't go back to that method.)
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Surprisingly the cheapo Crusader condenser dryer (similar to a Creda IIRC),
came out very well in the Which magazine we've had one for several years no
problem, it's coped with Vet-bed from puppies and now sadly Rough collie
OAP's .

The Q
Rough Collies Rule OK!

Christian McArdle

Our 3yr old Aquatronic dryer has just gone on the blink yet again, so
we intend to get a new one (probably Miele). The Aquatronic was a
Condenser which, though doing the job (when it worked), it did fill
the room with a fair bit of steam.

Personally, I prefer condensing types.

I have a Bosch integrated condensing model. My mother has a free standing
Miele vented. Both have reliable sensor mechanisms.

The vented is a pain quite apart from the need for an ugly hole in the wall
that prevents the machine being relocated. The hose is always getting
snagged and the "Clear airways" light comes on. It is very hard to position
the machine back in its hole, as the hose gets crumpled and the extra space
required for it behind means the machine sticks out 10cm from the worktop.
The condensing Bosch doesn't have this problem and can be plumbed into a
drain, so there is no need to empty the tray every time. The Bosch is more
energy efficient, especially during the winter where the extra heat is
useful.

Condensing types are not all the same. The Bosch produces about four times
(literally!) the water of my old Hoover condensor. That is despite moving
from a 1200 spin to 1600 spin washing machine at the same time. The clothes
go in practically dry and end up almost filling the huge tray (I haven't got
round to plugging the drain in yet). There is no steam or dampness in the
room.

Christian.

P.S. Bosch and Miele are both excellent makes. When comparing the two, I'm
really comparing condensing and non-condensing models, not the brands.

Janet Tweedy

In article , the q
writes

Surprisingly the cheapo Crusader condenser dryer (similar to a Creda IIRC),
came out very well in the Which magazine we've had one for several years no
problem, it's coped with Vet-bed from puppies and now sadly Rough collie
OAP's .

The Q
Rough Collies Rule OK!

Must admit that's why I like a tumble dryer, it gets rid of dog hairs on
clothes.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Janet Tweedy

In article , Christian
McArdle writes

[...]

That's very useful Christian, I never thought about the room at the back
for the hose, of course that'll be another reason why I ought to get a
condenser!
Best bit of advice for ages, thank you

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Andy Hall

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:10:18 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Christian
McArdle writes

[...]

Some venting dryers, certainly the Miele, have a hose port at the back
and a second and third one at the back on each side. Covers fit those
not in use.

Assuming that the hole can be made in the wall behind the rear port,
then it doesn't result in the machine projecting into the room at all.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Christian McArdle

Assuming that the hole can be made in the wall behind the rear port,
then it doesn't result in the machine projecting into the room at all.

Unfortunately, the hole was preexisting from a previous dryer, so this
wasn't possible. If they drilled a new hole every time, the wall would look
like Swiss cheese!

Christian.

IMM

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Our 3yr old Aquatronic dryer has just gone on the blink yet again, so
we intend to get a new one (probably Miele). The Aquatronic was a
Condenser which, though doing the job (when it worked), it did fill the
room with a fair bit of steam.
Tapping into expert knowledge here, would it be better to go back to a
vented dryer, are they more efficient/reliable? Don't mind bashing a
hole in the wall ( my earlier ones had a pipe through the door but I
Wouldn't go back to that method.)

Just avoid anything made by Hotpoint and you can't go too far wrong. Look
at "Which" mag.

IMM

wrote:

Our 3yr old Aquatronic dryer has just gone on the blink yet again, so
we intend to get a new one (probably Miele). The Aquatronic was a
Condenser which, though doing the job (when it worked), it did fill the
room with a fair bit of steam.
Tapping into expert knowledge here, would it be better to go back to a
vented dryer, are they more efficient/reliable? Don't mind bashing a
hole in the wall ( my earlier ones had a pipe through the door but I
Wouldn't go back to that method.)

We've had a Miele tumble dryer in daily use for about 12 years and
this one vents to the outside.

It had one fault in early life (a failed on/off switch replaced under
warranty) and has otherwise performed faultlessly It still looks as
good as new.

I think that if you can deliver the damp air outside it makes sense.

Condensing dryers with a drain pipe are far better.

IMM

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

Our 3yr old Aquatronic dryer has just gone on the blink yet again, so
we intend to get a new one (probably Miele). The Aquatronic was a
Condenser which, though doing the job (when it worked), it did fill the
room with a fair bit of steam.
Tapping into expert knowledge here, would it be better to go back to a
vented dryer, are they more efficient/reliable? Don't mind bashing a
hole in the wall ( my earlier ones had a pipe through the door but I
Wouldn't go back to that method.)

Avoid super expensive makes like Meile. Mid range tumble dryers are so
cheap, You can change them every 4 years and still be ahead financially and
a new guarantee of 2 years each time if you go to John Lewis.

Janet Tweedy

In article , IMM
writes

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

Our 3yr old Aquatronic dryer has just gone on the blink yet again, so
we intend to get a new one (probably Miele).

Avoid super expensive makes like Meile. Mid range tumble dryers are so
cheap, You can change them every 4 years and still be ahead financially and
a new guarantee of 2 years each time if you go to John Lewis.

Well I had four dishwashers of various types over 10 years (inc. Bosch,
Hotpoint & Phillips) and all of them broke on a regular basis and were
impossible to maintain etc. So I bought a Miele which was no dearer than
the mid-range ordinary ones and the difference is amazing. You can get
to the drain easily, the make and layout is good and the washing is
superb. So I assume that Miele will be better than Hotpoint or Bosch and
worth paying the difference. You might be able to buy a new one and stay
quids in but I want the reliability!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Andy Hall

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:54:44 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , IMM
writes

[...]

I don't think that you would be disappointed