Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plumbing a shower

I'm wanting to move our shower from one wall (an outside wall) to
another (stud wall). All walls are titled, but will be re-tiled later.

I have a cold feed feeding the current shower from the loft. I was
planning to re-route the cold feed to the position of the new shower,
which would mean running the pipe in the stud wall along with the
mains supply.

How do I go about running the pipe through the stud wall and make the
necessary bends for lining up for the shower?
I'm not overly fond of plastic push fit connectors, but I'm open to
suggestions.

Thanks

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jan 2007 04:53:32 -0800, "absolute0" wrote:

I'm wanting to move our shower from one wall (an outside wall) to
another (stud wall). All walls are titled,

Are these hereditary titles, or were they bought?

but will be re-tiled later.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorry, I should have explained better.

We are moving the shower so that we can get the ceiling re-artexed.
Once that is done the tiles will be completely replaced and a new
suite installed. I'm not concerned about the appearance of the current
tiles as long as it's water proof for a period of time until we get it
re-tiled.

Dave

On 30 Jan, 13:19, Frank Erskine wrote:
On 30 Jan 2007 04:53:32 -0800, "absolute0" wrote:

I'm wanting to move our shower from one wall (an outside wall) to
another (stud wall). All walls are titled,Are these hereditary titles, or were they bought?

but will be re-tiled later.--

Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

absolute0 wrote:

I'm wanting to move our shower from one wall (an outside wall) to
another (stud wall). All walls are titled, but will be re-tiled later.

I have a cold feed feeding the current shower from the loft. I was
planning to re-route the cold feed to the position of the new shower,
which would mean running the pipe in the stud wall along with the
mains supply.

Which "mains supply" is this?

What sort of shower?

Do you need to run the pipe in the wall, or can you redirect it in the
loft and then come down the wall in a new place? If so then that only
requires that you drill through the top plate rather than having to
cross several studs.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:27:51 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

absolute0 wrote:

I'm wanting to move our shower from one wall (an outside wall) to
another (stud wall). All walls are titled, but will be re-tiled later.

I have a cold feed feeding the current shower from the loft. I was
planning to re-route the cold feed to the position of the new shower,
which would mean running the pipe in the stud wall along with the
mains supply.

Which "mains supply" is this?

What sort of shower?

Do you need to run the pipe in the wall, or can you redirect it in the
loft and then come down the wall in a new place? If so then that only
requires that you drill through the top plate rather than having to
cross several studs.

I'm guessing it is an electric shower so the "mains supply" is
probably for it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, it is an electric shower (new one will be a Mira Advance ATL).
I'd rather not have the pipe on show as this is how we have it at the
moment (hole through ceiling and chrome pipe down to shower)

Dave

wrote:
absolute0 wrote:

I'm wanting to move our shower from one wall (an outside wall) to
another (stud wall). All walls are titled, but will be re-tiled later.

I have a cold feed feeding the current shower from the loft. I was
planning to re-route the cold feed to the position of the new shower,
which would mean running the pipe in the stud wall along with the
mains supply.

Which "mains supply" is this?

What sort of shower?

Do you need to run the pipe in the wall, or can you redirect it in the
loft and then come down the wall in a new place? If so then that only
requires that you drill through the top plate rather than having to
cross several studs.I'm guessing it is an electric shower so the "mains supply" is

probably for it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

absolute0 wrote:

Yes, it is an electric shower (new one will be a Mira Advance ATL).
I'd rather not have the pipe on show as this is how we have it at the
moment (hole through ceiling and chrome pipe down to shower)

Hence why I was suggesting a hole through the top plate of the stud
wall. The pipe then comes down through the wall and emerges into the
back of the shower. Plastic pipe would indeed make this simpler (no
joints in the wall). The final connection to the shower is usually via a
15mm compression elbow.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John,

It's going to be a bit of a pain as I'm limited to space in the loft
(shallow pitch), so plastic pipe sounds like a better option if I'm
going to feed the pipe in from the top. Then there is still the issue
of putting two elbow joints on the bottom of the pipe as it feeds into
the shower from the back, then elbows down to the shower connector.

Dave

On 30 Jan, 16:12, John Rumm wrote:
absolute0 wrote:
Yes, it is an electric shower (new one will be a Mira Advance ATL).
I'd rather not have the pipe on show as this is how we have it at the
moment (hole through ceiling and chrome pipe down to shower)Hence why I was suggesting a hole through the top plate of the stud

wall. The pipe then comes down through the wall and emerges into the
back of the shower. Plastic pipe would indeed make this simpler (no
joints in the wall). The final connection to the shower is usually via a
15mm compression elbow.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

absolute0 wrote:

It's going to be a bit of a pain as I'm limited to space in the loft
(shallow pitch), so plastic pipe sounds like a better option if I'm
going to feed the pipe in from the top. Then there is still the issue
of putting two elbow joints on the bottom of the pipe as it feeds into
the shower from the back, then elbows down to the shower connector.

You only need on elbow - at the join with the shower. That's the nice
thing about plastic in cases like this - it bends round corners.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

absolute0 wrote:

Have you ever used copper push fit compression fittings with platic
pipe?

What like cuprofit? No I have not tried them personally[1]. No reason
for them not to work fine however.

[1] although have tried most other combinations of plastic/copper/brass
fittings and pipe, all with successful results.

--
Cheers,

John.