Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thorn proofing wheelbarrow tyre

I am fed up with repairing punctures caused by thorns from the various
shrubs scattered around our perimeter. I was thinking of using some
'Slime' inner tube sealant but it occurred to me that I should be able
to line the inner of the tyre with something that is relatively flexible
but thorn proof. I understand that something is available for bicycle
tyres but I imagine that it would be far too narrow for the barrow tyre.
Grateful for any suggestions for a readily available lining material
which would need to be 70mm or more wide.
--
Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert wrote:
I am fed up with repairing punctures caused by thorns from the various
shrubs scattered around our perimeter. I was thinking of using some
'Slime' inner tube sealant but it occurred to me that I should be able
to line the inner of the tyre with something that is relatively flexible
but thorn proof. I understand that something is available for bicycle
tyres but I imagine that it would be far too narrow for the barrow tyre.
Grateful for any suggestions for a readily available lining material
which would need to be 70mm or more wide.

There are two basic solutions..you CAN get some sort of kevlar banding
that is really puncture proof, but I have been - on the advice of a
local farmer - injecting the slime every time a wheel on my lawn tractor
goes flat. None so injected have gone flat again. It really works. Try it.

Its cheaper than kevlar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Ed is offline

"Robbo" wrote in message

"Robert" wrote in message
I am fed up with repairing punctures caused by thorns from the various
shrubs scattered around our perimeter. I was thinking of using some
'Slime' inner tube sealant but it occurred to me that I should be able to
line the inner of the tyre with something that is relatively flexible but
thorn proof. I understand that something is available for bicycle tyres
but I imagine that it would be far too narrow for the barrow tyre.
Grateful for any suggestions for a readily available lining material
which would need to be 70mm or more wide.

Fit a solid wheel

Put the slime in before you get the puncture. Buy a big pack from a farmers
store and do the bikes as well Ed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:57:29 +0000, Robert
wrote:

I am fed up with repairing punctures caused by thorns from the various
shrubs scattered around our perimeter. I was thinking of using some
'Slime' inner tube sealant but it occurred to me that I should be able
to line the inner of the tyre with something that is relatively flexible
but thorn proof.

My Mate (a gardener) was constantly (every other day) suffering flat
tyres due to thorns on the ride-on mower he used on one of his regular
clients.

I suggested, the owner bought and my mate 'fitted' "Ultraseal" to all
four (big 'balloon) tyres and he hasn't suffered a single puncture
since. ;-)

I believe it's designed for tubeless tyres but has been used on tubed
tyres with good results (are any wheelbarrow wheels tubeless these
days?)

It's more 'industrial' than cycle 'slime' and water soluble etc etc.

http://www.ultrasealbrighton.co.uk/h...lfunction.php?

(just some info .. no connection with the product other than a happy
user in all our trailers / motorcycles etc etc).

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Robert
writes
I am fed up with repairing punctures caused by thorns from the various
shrubs scattered around our perimeter. I was thinking of using some
'Slime' inner tube sealant but it occurred to me that I should be able
to line the inner of the tyre with something that is relatively
flexible but thorn proof. I understand that something is available for
bicycle tyres but I imagine that it would be far too narrow for the
barrow tyre.
Grateful for any suggestions for a readily available lining material
which would need to be 70mm or more wide.

An alternative might be to fit a tyre having a higher ply rating than
the cardboard jobs usually fitted to wheelbarrows.

This not likely to suit ride-on mowers where a more rigid tyre might rut
grass in soft conditions.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-30, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Robert wrote:
I am fed up with repairing punctures caused by thorns from the various
shrubs scattered around our perimeter. I was thinking of using some
'Slime' inner tube sealant but it occurred to me that I should be able
to line the inner of the tyre with something that is relatively flexible
but thorn proof. I understand that something is available for bicycle
tyres but I imagine that it would be far too narrow for the barrow tyre.
Grateful for any suggestions for a readily available lining material
which would need to be 70mm or more wide.

There are two basic solutions..you CAN get some sort of kevlar banding
that is really puncture proof, but I have been - on the advice of a
local farmer - injecting the slime every time a wheel on my lawn tractor
goes flat. None so injected have gone flat again. It really works. Try it.

AOL
Me too.
/AOL

The slime isn't cheap (about 15 quid for 1.5 litres, IIRC) but it's
a damn sight cheaper than repeatedly mending lawn tractor tyres or
new ones at GBP22 each.

Dead right. A fiver to get em fixed with a 20 mile round trip, or a 2
hour wrestle with levers and bowls of water. I got fed up with it
frankly. Was getting 2-3 punctures per cut..

The gloop juts works..

Farmer uses it in his off road 4 wheelers that he scurries around on to
check the farm out..all the tracks are alongside thorn hedges..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 29, 11:57 pm, Robert wrote:
I am fed up with repairing punctures caused by thorns from the various
shrubs scattered around our perimeter. I was thinking of using some
'Slime' inner tube sealant but it occurred to me that I should be able
to line the inner of the tyre with something that is relatively flexible
but thorn proof. I understand that something is available for bicycle
tyres but I imagine that it would be far too narrow for the barrow tyre.
Grateful for any suggestions for a readily available lining material
which would need to be 70mm or more wide.
--
Robert

some code 4 self advesive lead flashing stuck inside the tyre before
inflating the inner tube - works a treat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert wrote:
I am fed up with repairing punctures caused by thorns from the various
shrubs scattered around our perimeter. I was thinking of using some
'Slime' inner tube sealant but it occurred to me that I should be able
to line the inner of the tyre with something that is relatively flexible
but thorn proof. I understand that something is available for bicycle
tyres but I imagine that it would be far too narrow for the barrow tyre.
Grateful for any suggestions for a readily available lining material
which would need to be 70mm or more wide.

What about tyre foam?

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hodges wrote:
Robert wrote:
I am fed up with repairing punctures caused by thorns from the various
shrubs scattered around our perimeter. I was thinking of using some
'Slime' inner tube sealant but it occurred to me that I should be able
to line the inner of the tyre with something that is relatively
flexible but thorn proof. I understand that something is available for
bicycle tyres but I imagine that it would be far too narrow for the
barrow tyre.
Grateful for any suggestions for a readily available lining material
which would need to be 70mm or more wide.

What about tyre foam?

I think that is the slime we are talking about.

In my case its fluorescent green slimy foam.

Expensive but worth it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Chris Hodges wrote:

What about tyre foam?

I think that is the slime we are talking about.

In my case its fluorescent green slimy foam.

Expensive but worth it.

Slime is a simple fluid, tyre foam, usually refered to as mousse, is
rather different.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hodges wrote:

What about tyre foam?

I think that is the slime we are talking about.

In my case its fluorescent green slimy foam.

Expensive but worth it.

Slime is a simple fluid, tyre foam, usually refered to as mousse, is
rather different.

Thought so, not used either but AIUI the foam will work better after
serious damage, slime will help for a hole that's small enough to close
itself up.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hodges wrote:

What about tyre foam?

I think that is the slime we are talking about.

In my case its fluorescent green slimy foam.

Expensive but worth it.

Slime is a simple fluid, tyre foam, usually refered to as mousse, is
rather different.

Is it?

Oh well. I can't say I was that bothered.waht it was called,..I got a
can of bright green foamy slimy moussey goop from the garden center, and
it worked.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Chris Hodges wrote:

What about tyre foam?

I think that is the slime we are talking about.

In my case its fluorescent green slimy foam.

Expensive but worth it.

Slime is a simple fluid, tyre foam, usually refered to as mousse, is
rather different.

Is it?

Oh well. I can't say I was that bothered.waht it was called,..I got a
can of bright green foamy slimy moussey goop from the garden center,
and it worked.

Many thanks for all the responses - I will try the Slime and if that
does not work the very thin lead flashing sounds interesting
--
Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hodges wrote:

What about tyre foam?

I think that is the slime we are talking about.

In my case its fluorescent green slimy foam.

Expensive but worth it.

Slime is a simple fluid, tyre foam, usually refered to as mousse, is
rather different.

Thought so, not used either but AIUI the foam will work better after
serious damage, slime will help for a hole that's small enough to close
itself up.

With Ultraseal I think 'small enough' is about 6mm diameter ;-)

'Slime' is fine for cycles but isn't man enough for bigger stuff
(IMHO)..

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. Although Ultraseal is not supposed to be use *after* a puncture I
have personal experience of it being used so on both a motorbike
(Fireblade) and my old Sierra and neither had issues with that actual
problem or further punctures after that ..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes

Chris Hodges wrote:

[...]

It cured a slow leak on my Suzi

(which is the odd one out - a battery, a woman, a washing machine and a
Hi-Fi ??)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
With Ultraseal I think 'small enough' is about 6mm diameter ;-)

'Slime' is fine for cycles but isn't man enough for bigger stuff
(IMHO)..

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. Although Ultraseal is not supposed to be use *after* a puncture I
have personal experience of it being used so on both a motorbike
(Fireblade) and my old Sierra and neither had issues with that actual
problem or further punctures after that ..

It cured a slow leak on my Suzi

Having had the only indication of a tyre carcass starting to fail being
its slow deflation over several weeks I wouldn't use any products like
this in road tyres, when removed for checking the casing ply wires were
comming through the inner lining, with a sealant in place the first sign
might have been rather more dramatic!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , badger.badger
writes
raden wrote:
With Ultraseal I think 'small enough' is about 6mm diameter ;-)

'Slime' is fine for cycles but isn't man enough for bigger stuff
(IMHO)..

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. Although Ultraseal is not supposed to be use *after* a puncture I
have personal experience of it being used so on both a motorbike
(Fireblade) and my old Sierra and neither had issues with that actual
problem or further punctures after that ..

It cured a slow leak on my Suzi

Having had the only indication of a tyre carcass starting to fail being
its slow deflation over several weeks I wouldn't use any products like
this in road tyres,

Fairly new tyres (no visible indication of damage), old, prolly pitted,
rims

I'l take my chances

--
geoff