Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thorn Olympic 20/35 Boiler - Keeps blowing out . . .

Hi Group,
I'm no expert DIY'er by any stretch, but I have a Thorn Olympic 20/35
Boiler.

It's had various bits over the last few years, including a new pump (it
became a lot quieter then), and a new magnetic value (for when you hold it
in and light the boiler - forgive my ignorance, I'm not sure what it's
called, it might be a thermocoupler?)

The problem I have is this. It's a sucker to light it and takes several
pushes. The reason I have to light it often is that when it's windy outside,
it blows the pilot light out. Is there a simple fix \ is the hole too big to
the vent or .... ?

Any pointers appreciated, as it's always been a problem with the boiler
going out - but it's more of a problem now as it's getting harder to light
each time and I'll end up with a permanent mould on my finger of the push
button ;-)

All the Best,
Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Sky High
writes
[...]

The Olympic was quite a dangerous boiler which was changed from a
positive to a negative pressure boiler IIRC.

You could have a blockage or weak fan - which would stop the fan from
venting the products of combustion, or you could have a blocked jet.

I don't often advise people not to touch, but with your lack of
competence and that boiler, I think you should get someone in who knows
what they are doing

--
geoff