Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Raised head brass machine screws.

I'm making up some fiendishly complicated A/V outlets for a job - SCARTS,
S-Video, BNC, UHF, phonos, and a few other assorted connectors all on two
two-gang brass panels. And would like to secure the connectors where
applicable with raised head brass screws to match the plate fixing ones.
Where I can use the 3.5mm ones I have, as I've plenty of those, but some
of the connectors require smaller ones - 3mm and 2mm both 10mm or so long
would be ideal - although BA or anything else of approx the same diameter
would be ok too.

I've given up Googling - plenty say they have such things but turn out not
to - or are just the easily obtained 3.5mm electrical fixing size.

--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
[...]

EKP will be able to help - particulalry in BA sizes:

http://www.ekp.supplies.btinternet.co.uk/

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

In a similar situation, I ended up drilling out the mounting holes by 0.5mm
to accept the screws I had.

Depends on the feasability of this: if it involves wrecking the connector,
then it's obviously a no-go...

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Mawson wrote:
I've given up Googling - plenty say they have such things but turn

out not
to - or are just the easily obtained 3.5mm electrical fixing size.

Dave,

EKP will be able to help - particulalry in BA sizes:

http://www.ekp.supplies.btinternet.co.uk/

Looking at their site, the one thing they don't appear to do is raised
head. But they don't seem to have an online cat so I'll contact them next
week.

--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ron Lowe ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS wrote:
In a similar situation, I ended up drilling out the mounting holes by
0.5mm to accept the screws I had.

Depends on the feasability of this: if it involves wrecking the
connector, then it's obviously a no-go...

It would with some of the connectors.

--
*Dance like nobody's watching.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
I've given up Googling - plenty say they have such things but

turn
out not
to - or are just the easily obtained 3.5mm electrical fixing

size.

Dave,

EKP will be able to help - particulalry in BA sizes:

http://www.ekp.supplies.btinternet.co.uk/

Looking at their site, the one thing they don't appear to do is

raised
head. But they don't seem to have an online cat so I'll contact them

next
week.

--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

They will make to order as well !

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Mawson wrote:
Looking at their site, the one thing they don't appear to do is raised
head. But they don't seem to have an online cat so I'll contact them
next week.

They will make to order as well !

Doubt the client would pay for that. ;-)

--
*Why is a boxing ring square?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In a similar situation, I ended up drilling out the mounting holes by
0.5mm to accept the screws I had.

It would with some of the connectors.

Could you have a chassis panel behind the front decorative plate, mount
the connectors on the chassis panel and just have them poking through
holes in the front plate?

Then you wouldn't need any visible fixings.

It would certainly be one way but increase the cost considerably. And
space is already tight.

I also considered glueing.

Owain

--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I'm making up some fiendishly complicated A/V outlets for a job -
SCARTS,
S-Video, BNC, UHF, phonos, and a few other assorted connectors all on
two
two-gang brass panels. And would like to secure the connectors where
applicable with raised head brass screws to match the plate fixing
ones.
Where I can use the 3.5mm ones I have, as I've plenty of those, but
some
of the connectors require smaller ones - 3mm and 2mm both 10mm or so
long
would be ideal - although BA or anything else of approx the same
diameter
would be ok too.

Might be worth talking to Folkestone Engineering Supplies:

http://www.metal2models.btinternet.co.uk/ptscrews.htm

who list every other head type, but do say they have many more unlisted
ones. Once you get down to 8 or 10 B.A., the difference between raised
and countersunk heads can't be more than a gnat's wotsit anyway.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Autolycus wrote:
Might be worth talking to Folkestone Engineering Supplies:

http://www.metal2models.btinternet.co.uk/ptscrews.htm

who list every other head type, but do say they have many more unlisted
ones. Once you get down to 8 or 10 B.A., the difference between raised
and countersunk heads can't be more than a gnat's wotsit anyway.

Smallest I'd want is 6BA and only a couple.

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 19:37:42 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I'm making up some fiendishly complicated A/V outlets for a job - SCARTS,
S-Video, BNC, UHF, phonos, and a few other assorted connectors all on two
two-gang brass panels. And would like to secure the connectors where
applicable with raised head brass screws to match the plate fixing ones.
Where I can use the 3.5mm ones I have, as I've plenty of those, but some
of the connectors require smaller ones - 3mm and 2mm both 10mm or so long
would be ideal - although BA or anything else of approx the same diameter
would be ok too.

I've given up Googling - plenty say they have such things but turn out not
to - or are just the easily obtained 3.5mm electrical fixing size.

Try:

http://www.modern-screws.co.uk/model.htm

Or use stainless throughout:

http://www.a2a4.co.uk/acatalog/csk_machine_screw_raised_head_A_4.html

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
It would certainly be one way but increase the cost considerably. And
space is already tight.
I also considered glueing.

Just fill the box with squirty foam, push it all together and hope it
holds until the invoice is paid.

Wouldn't have the nerve the amount I'm charging. ;-)

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 02:14:28 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Just fill the box with squirty foam, push it all together and hope it
holds until the invoice is paid.

Wouldn't have the nerve the amount I'm charging. ;-)

s/squirty foam/poting compound/

B-)

--
Cheers