Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

Default Extraction fans in kitchen and bathroom

I'm in the middle of sorting out the rewiring of a property and am led
to believe that extraction fans are required in the kitchen and bathroom
if it is to be let. Is that correct?

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" wrote in message
I'm in the middle of sorting out the rewiring of a property and am led to
believe that extraction fans are required in the kitchen and bathroom if
it is to be let. Is that correct?

--

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...F_ADF_2006.pdf

There ya go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

I'm in the middle of sorting out the rewiring of a property and am led
to believe that extraction fans are required in the kitchen and bathroom
if it is to be let. Is that correct?

no

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
I'm in the middle of sorting out the rewiring of a property and am led
to believe that extraction fans are required in the kitchen and bathroom
if it is to be let. Is that correct?

Only if the rooms concerned are undergoing a change of use (ie different
room is now the kitchen and/or bathroom) or if one or both is completely
internal; or if the property was built since the current regs came into
being which say that new builds must comply.

Nothing specific to being let; however IMHO if you're rewiring the place
anyway you'd be nuts not to incorporate both... it will benefit the
property in keeping it properly ventilated. Let properties are
notorious for condensation/mould problems.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
I'm in the middle of sorting out the rewiring of a property and am led
to believe that extraction fans are required in the kitchen and bathroom
if it is to be let. Is that correct?

They are required in most cases as part of building regs anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 04/01/2007 21:35 HLAH wrote:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...F_ADF_2006.pdf

There ya go.

Thanks! All I have to do now is translate it into English!

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 04/01/2007 21:35 HLAH wrote:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...F_ADF_2006.pdf

There ya go.

Thanks! All I have to do now is translate it into English!

Well if you do, do bear in mind the other replies which point out that
these building regs are irrelavant to your letting scenario; as are
basically the regs themselves unless your property was built since they
were released...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 06/01/2007 18:57 Lobster wrote:

Well if you do, do bear in mind the other replies which point out that
these building regs are irrelavant to your letting scenario; as are
basically the regs themselves unless your property was built since they
were released...

One response was a clear 'no' but another was 'They are required in most
cases as part of building regs anyway'. Which leaves me confused!

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 06/01/2007 18:57 Lobster wrote:

Well if you do, do bear in mind the other replies which point out that
these building regs are irrelavant to your letting scenario; as are
basically the regs themselves unless your property was built since
they were released...

One response was a clear 'no' but another was 'They are required in most
cases as part of building regs anyway'. Which leaves me confused!

I suspect the "no" was in connection with the letting scenario, which is
correct; and the "They are required in most cases as part of building
regs anyway" is also correct, but the building regs concerned may or may
not apply to you, as I tried to explain in my post. Both those answers
suffered from being too brief, hence they were apparently totally
contradictory!

If you want a one-word answer to your query: tell us when the property
was built, and whether you are changing the use of either bathroom or
bedroom.

You might also want to look at my (conicidental) current thread about
condensation in rented properties, which is why I said I thought you'd
be daft not to go ahead and fit the extractors regardless! :-)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
F wrote:
[...]

There is no requirement for a property to meet current building regs,
whether a private dwelling or let. There is thus no blanket requirement
for fans.

For many years it has been a requirement to have forced ventilation for
bathrooms with no other means of ventilation, ie for the minority of
b'rooms with no window, fixed vent, etc.

For a more precise answer you'd have to have told us when it was built
and what the ventiation situation was with b'room and kitch.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 07/01/2007 14:29 Lobster wrote:

OK, the answer is definetely "NO" to installing extractor fans then,
from a legal point of view.

Thanks.

But I still think you should reconsider!

Understood!

But a big NB he as there are existing fixed vents do bear in mind
that they may well be very necessary if you have certain gas appliances:
that's a whole new can of worms. Try the Gas Fitting FAQ at:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html

Tonight's required reading!

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

F wrote:
On 07/01/2007 14:29 Lobster wrote:

OK, the answer is definetely "NO" to installing extractor fans then,
from a legal point of view.

Thanks.

But I still think you should reconsider!

Understood!

I agree so far as Building regs are concerned...but....

Perhaps you also need to consider whether the house will become an HMO
(House in Multiple Occupation) on being rented out.

*IF* it does then it probably will require to meet additional Building
Reg-type rules imposed by the local council (& you as landlord will
need to register with the council). The few sets of HMO rules I have
seen (from a variety of councils) indicate each council makes up its
own rules though they do have lot in common. Pattern is of a pig's
breakfast of cribbed regulations.

The effect of many HMO rules is to force imposition of (& compliance
with) the latest (ie current) Building Regs on property which would
otherwise be exempt - so in your case you could be forced to instal
ventilation as a condition of letting. There's also a tendency for
individual councils to add Nanny-state rules.

A single house can become an HMO simply by being shared by 3 or more
unrelated tenants (eg students). Regardless of occupancy, HMO regs can
apply to a house with 3 stories - eg with an attic room. Becoming an
HMO has Planning Permission implications & may not be so simple to
reverse out of. BEWARE.

It would be a good idea to check (anonymously so you don't alert the
council) what HMO rules are applied in your area.

Beware also of the stealth HMO registration tax (hundreds of smackers).
If you have HMOs in n council areas you need to register n times
(that's n x the original no of smackers).

If you own several HMOs in a single council area, that also = an
enhanced no of smackers, though only 1 registration is required
(SFAIUI).

Consider careful *LEGAL* drafting of the tenancy agreement to limit
occupation to tenants approved (& hence numbers limited) by yourself (&
make sure the tenants must indemnify you if anything they do makes the
house an HMO).

+++++
On the other front, be very careful before blocking an air vent into
any room with a gas, oil or soild fuel heater. It is something I would
avoid even if the regs appeared to allow it. Maybe you can find an
alternate path for the duct? - eg reroute it into the ceiling/floor
void above between joists - but if you do you will need to box the duct
in plasterboard to make it fire-proof.

HTH

Bathroom fans Sparks UK diy 10 September 15th 06 01:11 AM
Kitchen extraction fan Grumps UK diy 16 January 30th 06 03:46 PM
Bathroom Extraction System - help! [email protected] UK diy 2 August 16th 05 01:10 PM
Bathroom extraction fans - extract to undefloor space? DaveŁ UK diy 7 November 22nd 04 12:24 AM
Bathroom Fans David Gale Home Repair 35 August 29th 04 08:14 AM