Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Extraction fans in kitchen and bathroom

F wrote:
On 07/01/2007 12:14 wrote:

For a more precise answer you'd have to have told us when it was built
and what the ventiation situation was with b'room and kitch.

Apologies for the lack of information.

The house was built in 1959.

Both bathroom and kitchen have been so since 1959. The kitchen will
continue to house a washing machine and gas hob.

OK, the answer is definetely "NO" to installing extractor fans then,
from a legal point of view.

But I still think you should reconsider!

Both kitchen and bathroom have vents in the wall with grills over them.
I'd prefer to block up the one in the kitchen to maximise the amount of
wall cupboard storage. This need to improve storage space, along with
the need to reduce rewiring costs, is the reason for wanting to lose at
least the fan in the kitchen.

But a big NB he as there are existing fixed vents do bear in mind
that they may well be very necessary if you have certain gas appliances:
that's a whole new can of worms. Try the Gas Fitting FAQ at:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html

David