Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extraction fans in kitchen and bathroom

Lobster wrote:
F wrote:
On 06/01/2007 18:57 Lobster wrote:

Well if you do, do bear in mind the other replies which point out that
these building regs are irrelavant to your letting scenario; as are
basically the regs themselves unless your property was built since
they were released...

One response was a clear 'no' but another was 'They are required in most
cases as part of building regs anyway'. Which leaves me confused!

I suspect the "no" was in connection with the letting scenario, which is
correct; and the "They are required in most cases as part of building
regs anyway" is also correct, but the building regs concerned may or may
not apply to you, as I tried to explain in my post. Both those answers
suffered from being too brief, hence they were apparently totally
contradictory!

If you want a one-word answer to your query: tell us when the property
was built, and whether you are changing the use of either bathroom or
bedroom.

You might also want to look at my (conicidental) current thread about
condensation in rented properties, which is why I said I thought you'd
be daft not to go ahead and fit the extractors regardless! :-)

David

There is no requirement for a property to meet current building regs,
whether a private dwelling or let. There is thus no blanket requirement
for fans.

For many years it has been a requirement to have forced ventilation for
bathrooms with no other means of ventilation, ie for the minority of
b'rooms with no window, fixed vent, etc.

For a more precise answer you'd have to have told us when it was built
and what the ventiation situation was with b'room and kitch.

NT