David Gale

Default Bathroom Fans

My wife and I recently bought our first house, which is, of course, a
fixer-upper. One of our "immediate" repairs is to add fans to the two
bathrooms that don't currently have them (go figure--two bathrooms with
showers, no fans, one half-bath with a fan). What brands would you
recommend?

My wife likes the sound of the fan, so I'm thinking 1.0-2.0 sones would be
great. The main bath is about 65 square feet, while the other is only about
30 (yes, it's really small), though we're considering expanding that one
eventually, so it'd probably get the same size fan as the main bathroom.

I went to Home Depot, as well as my local hardware store, to check out their
selections, but most of the "demo" models were either not plugged in or
broken, so I couldn't test many out.

Also, would the light in a fan/light combination be bright enough to act as
the primary light source?

Thanks in advance,
-David

Art

If installation allows I would look for a fan with the motor at the exhaust.
Can be more powerful and quiet. Also use a timer switch so it can run
several minutes after a shower and the bath is empty..... it will turn off
automatically getting more of the humid air out.

"David Gale" wrote in message
[...]

Bob in CT

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:41:14 -0400, David Gale
wrote:

[...]

The lights that come in the low noise Panasonic fans aren't. You need
another light. Personally, regardless of what your wife says, I'd put in
Panasonic fans. It's nice not hearing anything when you shower.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Joseph Meehan

David Gale wrote:
[...]

I just put in a Braun a few months ago. It is quiet and the light is
plenty bright for a small to mid size bath. I kept it on a dimmer, but if
you do not need to dim it a fluorescent lamp could be even brighter.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

David Gale

"Art" wrote:
If installation allows I would look for a fan with the motor at the

exhaust.
Can be more powerful and quiet. Also use a timer switch so it can run
several minutes after a shower and the bath is empty..... it will turn

off
automatically getting more of the humid air out.

Installation would allow that (ceiling goes straight to unfinished attic),
but, again, my wife has made it clear that she likes some noise from the
fan, so she wouldn't. And we're still newly-wed enough that she gets to
veto. ;-)

Will look into the timer switch. Thanks!

-David

Joe Bobst

My wife likes the sound of the fan, so I'm thinking 1.0-2.0 sones would be
great.

If sound doesn't matter, then pick a fan with the highest CFM rating. Most
decent sized bathrooms work best with approximately 100 CFM units. In ant size
rating there will be a variety of prices, but none are all that costly. Notice
the difference in quality of the pricier ones, like plated hardware, better
paint, etc.

Also, would the light in a fan/light combination be bright enough to act as
the primary light source?

NO. You'll need auxilliary lighting over your vanity mirror. And consider one
of the new night-lamp/outlet combos from Pass & Seymour-Lergrand (TM8HWL-ICC).
It has a LED nightlamp set that will probably outlast your house. These are
required in hallways by some building codes but IMHO they're handy as can be
scattered all around the house in dark areas. They come in white, almond and
ivory colors so far, but not brown or black,.so you may have to paint your own.
HTH

Joe

xrongor

Also, would the light in a fan/light combination be bright enough to act
as
the primary light source?

if by primary you mean sole light source, i think not. not necessarily
because it isnt bright enough, but because its probably not in a good
location. better to also have lights at the mirror itself. keeps the
ladies happy. its also nice when you need to fix/clean something in there
and can brighten it up real good instead of working around your shadow.

randy

David Gale

"Joe Bobst" wrote:
My wife likes the sound of the fan, so I'm thinking 1.0-2.0 sones would

be
great.

If sound doesn't matter, then pick a fan with the highest CFM rating. Most
decent sized bathrooms work best with approximately 100 CFM units.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. She wants the noise; I don't want too much;
hence my desire for 1.0 to 2.0. I was eyeing a .8 sones model at HD, but
she said it was too quiet.

Also, would the light in a fan/light combination be bright enough to

act as
the primary light source?

NO. You'll need auxilliary lighting over your vanity mirror.

Yes, we're planning on that. We currently have a POS ceiling light as the
primary, with auxillary lights alongside the mirror; I was wondering whether
I could replace the primary with a fan/light combo, or if I should replace
it with a light and add in a fan next to it. My big question there is how
bright the lights are after being filtered through the standard
glazing--since all the fan/light combos we saw had translucent white glazing
rather than totally transparent, it's hard to know how bright a 100-watt
bulb would look. Would the light from a fan/light combo be strong enough to
act as a primary (not sole) light source?

Thanks again,
-David

Joseph Meehan

David Gale wrote:

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. She wants the noise; I don't want too

much;
hence my desire for 1.0 to 2.0. I was eyeing a .8 sones model at HD, but
she said it was too quiet.

You have my pity. You must love her greatly to live with a woman who
WANTS the noise. She's one in a million.

BTW when you get it home it will sound much louder than it did on
display. The small room makes it sound a lot louder. Take a small radio
into the bath and set the volume to a nice level. Now got to HD and play it
at the same level, I doubt if you can hear it.

Thanks again,
-David

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

m Ransley

Sones as a sound rating is BS and deceptive, DB or decibils is more
realistic. Sones are Apx 1/10 th of Db . a 3 Db increase takes a
doubling of power in amplifiers. Panasonic is quiet and good, But my
Broan has a 3 way switch , Lights on a dimmer, Heat lamp and fan on a
timer, all custom. If wife likes noise, get CFM and be happy.

Mike Fritz

David Gale wrote:
"Joe Bobst" wrote:

snip

NO. You'll need auxilliary lighting over your vanity mirror.

Yes, we're planning on that. We currently have a POS ceiling light as the
primary, with auxillary lights alongside the mirror; I was wondering whether
I could replace the primary with a fan/light combo, or if I should replace
it with a light and add in a fan next to it. My big question there is how
bright the lights are after being filtered through the standard
glazing--since all the fan/light combos we saw had translucent white glazing
rather than totally transparent, it's hard to know how bright a 100-watt
bulb would look. Would the light from a fan/light combo be strong enough to
act as a primary (not sole) light source?

Thanks again,
-David

100 watts would probably too much heat for such a small lamp. Make sure
you look into that.
--Mike
FireBrick

I STRONGLY suggest and agree with a timer.
For a major reason that most people are not aware of.
When the CO meters/alarms became popular, the Fire Dept. I served with was
plagued with many alarms from homes were people came home from work/whatever
to find their CO alarm sounding.

With our very accurate meters we would indeed find evidence of CO in the
home but now could not find a cause.
After a couple of these calls we found a common thread.
The people were showering and then leaving the house.
But for whatever reason they were NOT turning off the bathroom exhaust fans.

We soon found from the manufacturers that even a small exhaust fan could
evacuate enough air that the house would pull a negative pressure and normal
furnace or water heater gases were not venting to the outside but being
pulled into the house setting off the alarms.

In today's tight house construction techniques, not enough make up air was
entering the cracks and crevices.

After explaining the situation to the Village inspectors, they introduced a
building code that all home exhaust fans in new or remodeled residences be
wired onto timers.

A strong safety issue if you shower before retiring for the night and forget
to turn off an ultra quiet exhaust fan.

"David Gale" wrote in message
[...]

David Gale

"Mike Fritz" wrote:
100 watts would probably too much heat for such a small lamp. Make sure
you look into that.
--Mike

Most of the fan/light combos I looked at said they used 100 watt bulbs, so
I'm assuming that's not too hot for them.

-David

Bill

wrote:

[...]

Hey David!
Consumer Reports says the Panansonic model is the best ceiling exhaust
fan on the market. I did a quick Google "Froogle" search for a
Panasonic FV-08VQ2 and came up with several websites of vendors who
sell these fans. Check out this one:

http://www.atrendyhome.com/pawhli110cfm.html

This exhaust fan should give you years of trouble free quiet
service...your wife may hate it since it does not make any noise!

:-)
Regards,
Bill

Terry

"David Gale" wrote in message
My wife and I recently bought our first house, which is, of course, a
fixer-upper. One of our "immediate" repairs is to add fans to the two
bathrooms that don't currently have them ...

Somewhere the attic was mentioned? While the following is probably obvious:
Make sure, especially if you are in a cool/cold climate to exhaust
'outside'.
The last thing anyone needs is pounds of damp air condensing into water in
their attic or roof space. (People still ask about that! On this and other
similar news groups!)
Again if you are in a cool climate I'll mention that we had to ensure that
the vents to the outside sloped 'down', not 'up' as recommended!
Because in cold weather the warm damp air condensed in the vent pipes and
moisture ran back into the house! All we get now is a slight icicle on the
outer edge of the vent housing. Also when you are assembling/installing the
vent piping, using say a combination of flexible and sections of metal
piping, position the joins so that any moisture that does condense will
drain 'down' the pipe to the outer end. You can also use duct tape and/or
large pipe clamps.
Good luck.

m Ransley

Yea FIREBRICK why not mandate working Flues. BS,BS.BS. your answer

Phisherman

wrote:

[...]

Yes, but you'll need more light for shaving or makeup application. If
sound is not an issue, get the one with the largest cfm. A 30-minute
timer to automatically turn off the fan is nice to have.
Art

Actually our town now requires fresh air vents in the house where a gas
appliance such as a dryer is used so he may have a valid point.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Yea FIREBRICK why not mandate working Flues. BS,BS.BS. your answer

xrongor

"David Gale" wrote in message
"Mike Fritz" wrote:
100 watts would probably too much heat for such a small lamp. Make sure
you look into that.
--Mike

Most of the fan/light combos I looked at said they used 100 watt bulbs, so
I'm assuming that's not too hot for them.

thats the key. just make sure you dont go higher than what it says on the
box. some are rated for less.

randy

MC

Would be great to rig up a moisture sensor to turn on the fan and a timer to
keep in on for a period of time then shutoff automatically.

My fans were wired to a seperate switch, but finally had to wire to the
light switch, got tired of trying to convince the kids and wife to turn the
fan on when they shower and was starting to have a mildew problem.

I like the idea of the timer as would be great to have stay on for a little
longer after they are done.

My biggest issue is they complain all the time when they want to be in the
bath and not taking showers complaining of the noise.

MC

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Sones as a sound rating is BS and deceptive, DB or decibils is more
realistic. Sones are Apx 1/10 th of Db . a 3 Db increase takes a
doubling of power in amplifiers. Panasonic is quiet and good, But my
Broan has a 3 way switch , Lights on a dimmer, Heat lamp and fan on a
timer, all custom. If wife likes noise, get CFM and be happy.

Robert

"David Gale" wrote in message
[...]

How many cubic feet is the bathroom?
L X W X H = CF

Keep in mind the manufacturers sone ratings are typically at very low static
pressures (.1 and below). You add a piece of duct (increasing external
static pressure) to the fan and the sones are an entirely different story.
If your wife likes the noise, I would recommend 1.5 + at least. Broan Silent
series is a nice fan. It's not as quiet as the Panasonic and still a nice
fan.

In order to size the fan properly, you need the cubic footage of the space
to determine the air changes per hour. The fan in my enclosed water closet
is sized at 24 air changes per hour. It only takes 2.5 minutes to remove all
my stink in the morning =)

Rob

David Gale

"Robert" wrote:
How many cubic feet is the bathroom?
L X W X H = CF

About 520. I'd just mentioned the square footage since the fans I was
looking at all said that they were rated for, say, a 50 square foot bath, or
a 100 square...

-David

Joe Fabeitz

Option #1 Send me your wife and I will make her happy. She can stay in my
bathroom and listen to my noisy fan all day long. Can she cook?

Option #2 Buy the best Panasonic bathroom fan you can afford. Forget the
light. Send it to me and I will send you my noisy fan. It's been tested
extensively for both noise AND exhaust functionality. Both you and your new
wife will be delighted and she can remain with you.

Option #3 Combine options 1 and 2. Have your wife BRING a new Panasonic fan
and I'll figure out some other way to make fan-like sounds.

Just trying to be helpful.

"David Gale" wrote in message
[...]

Bob in CT

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:25:43 -0230, Terry wrote:

"David Gale" wrote in message
[...]

You can also insulate the ducting, which is what I did.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Bob in CT

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:26:02 -0400, David Gale
wrote:

"Robert" wrote:
How many cubic feet is the bathroom?
L X W X H = CF

About 520. I'd just mentioned the square footage since the fans I was
looking at all said that they were rated for, say, a 50 square foot
bath, or
a 100 square...

-David

The panasonic website tells you how to determine what to buy, and includes
calculations for ducting. I didn't use these, as my bathrooms are tiny.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

FireBrick

I'm not sure I understand your reply.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Yea FIREBRICK why not mandate working Flues. BS,BS.BS. your answer

FireBrick

Fresh air vents are the coming thing.
But most older homes may not have this feature.
Many of the higher efficiency pvc pipe type furnace now also install a
intake pipe that feed fresh air into the combustion process.

ink.net...

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Yea FIREBRICK why not mandate working Flues. BS,BS.BS. your answer

Michael Strickland

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:13:20 -0500, m Ransley wrote:

Broan has a 3 way switch , Lights on a dimmer, Heat lamp and fan on a
timer, all custom.

Is it a timer that you have to turn to a time value or simply push a button
(or flip a switch) and the fan runs for a set amount of time?

Later, Mike
(substitute strickland in the obvious location to reply directly)
-----------------------------------

Please send all email as text only - HTML mail is automatically filtered to the trash and I might not catch it.

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"David Gale" wrote in message
[...]

I have read the posts, and I still agree that you should go
Panasonic...but...

If you are dead set on a noisy fan, Broan makes a nice ventilator that is
214CFM, at 1.8 Sones...runs about $175.
Or, the 90CFM version that is 1.5..

Either way, wire it so you can cut the noisy thing off...it will start to
drone after a while..but then, I have the Panasonics, and thats all we
install in new construction now...

Oscar_Lives

So what the hell is wrong with your wife that she wants a noisy bathroom
fan? I cannot imagine any reason that someone would want a NOISY appliance
in their house. What is up with this?

"David Gale" wrote in message
"Robert" wrote:
How many cubic feet is the bathroom?
L X W X H = CF

About 520. I'd just mentioned the square footage since the fans I was
looking at all said that they were rated for, say, a 50 square foot bath,
or
a 100 square...

-David

Robert

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
So what the hell is wrong with your wife that she wants a noisy bathroom
fan? I cannot imagine any reason that someone would want a NOISY

appliance
in their house. What is up with this?

The noise covers up the fart and plop. Don't you fart and plop?
=D

Rob

Phisherman

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 03:23:08 GMT, "Oscar_Lives"
wrote:

So what the hell is wrong with your wife that she wants a noisy bathroom
fan? I cannot imagine any reason that someone would want a NOISY appliance
in their house. What is up with this?

One reason is that she can FART really loud without anyone noticing.
David Gale

"David Gale" wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all who responded with helpful replies. In the end, I decided to
go with Panasonics; the main bathroom'll get the 110 CFM fan/light, which is
rated at 1.2 sones; that ought to provide enough background noise for my
wife (for those who had rather crass reasons she'd want the noise: she grew
up in a city, with fairly constant background; we're now living in Vermont,
which is pretty quiet. That's a little disconcerting to her. And, of
course, she likes to be able to tell that the fan's working--if it were too
quiet, the only indication of a problem would be taking a long, hot shower
and having a foggy mirror), while is still on the quiet end of things (which
I'll like). The small bathroom gets a much smaller fan--0.3 sones. And
it's still far more powerful than it needs to be. Ought to be nice.

Thanks again!
-David

JerryMouse

David Gale wrote:
"Art" wrote:
If installation allows I would look for a fan with the motor at the
exhaust. Can be more powerful and quiet. Also use a timer switch so
it can run several minutes after a shower and the bath is empty.....
it will turn off automatically getting more of the humid air out.

Installation would allow that (ceiling goes straight to unfinished
attic), but, again, my wife has made it clear that she likes some
noise from the fan, so she wouldn't. And we're still newly-wed
enough that she gets to veto. ;-)

Will look into the timer switch. Thanks!

-David

1. Tell your wife the fan noise might mask the sound of a mainiac with a
knife. Rent "Psycho" from Blockbuster.

2. Tell your wife that since you plan to shower together forever, a
compromise is in order.

Oscar_Lives

wrote:

So what the hell is wrong with your wife that she wants a noisy bathroom
fan? I cannot imagine any reason that someone would want a NOISY
appliance
in their house. What is up with this?

One reason is that she can FART really loud without anyone noticing.

I don't think women are able to fart.