David Gale

"David Gale" wrote:
My wife and I recently bought our first house, which is, of course, a
fixer-upper. One of our "immediate" repairs is to add fans to the two
bathrooms that don't currently have them (go figure--two bathrooms with
showers, no fans, one half-bath with a fan). What brands would you
recommend?

My wife likes the sound of the fan, so I'm thinking 1.0-2.0 sones would be
great. The main bath is about 65 square feet, while the other is only

about
30 (yes, it's really small), though we're considering expanding that one
eventually, so it'd probably get the same size fan as the main bathroom.

I went to Home Depot, as well as my local hardware store, to check out

their
selections, but most of the "demo" models were either not plugged in or
broken, so I couldn't test many out.

Also, would the light in a fan/light combination be bright enough to act

as
the primary light source?

Thanks to all who responded with helpful replies. In the end, I decided to
go with Panasonics; the main bathroom'll get the 110 CFM fan/light, which is
rated at 1.2 sones; that ought to provide enough background noise for my
wife (for those who had rather crass reasons she'd want the noise: she grew
up in a city, with fairly constant background; we're now living in Vermont,
which is pretty quiet. That's a little disconcerting to her. And, of
course, she likes to be able to tell that the fan's working--if it were too
quiet, the only indication of a problem would be taking a long, hot shower
and having a foggy mirror), while is still on the quiet end of things (which
I'll like). The small bathroom gets a much smaller fan--0.3 sones. And
it's still far more powerful than it needs to be. Ought to be nice.

Thanks again!
-David