Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The 24K police shower room saga

Some of you may remember a thread a month or two back about the Chief
Constable of North Yorkshire spending £24000 on a refurb of the en-suite
shower room to her office.

Anyway, this evening a report into the issue has been released, and the
author was being quizzed on Radio York.
Original refurb of the 1970's shower room was budgeted at about 6K.
Poor project management is being blamed for costs quadrupling, looks the
like the Police Estates Dept will be carrying the can on this.

Sounds like of couple of ill-considered decisions were made without
examining the implications.
1) Re-arrange the fittings the room - result soil stack had to be moved.
2) Specifying a mixer valve for the shower rather than the previous
instantaneous electric one - result installation of a complete new hot
water feed system. (To be fair, the CC had received an electric shock in
the room apparently)

Couple of other unexpected things, removing some tiles revealed another
layer of tiles, which had to be removed, which then required
replastering - but it's a listed building so special plaster /
techniques had to be used.

Well I'm going to ask if I can pop in a pee next time I'm passing - my
council tax has paid for it!
--
steve

Re-tiling shower room F UK diy 8 January 15th 06 04:11 PM
Shower room Ceiling DJC UK diy 1 September 9th 05 01:47 AM
wet room shower stationarybox UK diy 4 August 29th 05 07:47 PM
Shower room fan!!! PhilÅ UK diy 4 December 4th 04 07:41 PM
buderus delta boiler U012-24K Yalcin Alimoglu Home Repair 3 October 21st 03 03:59 PM