Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Re-tiling shower room

I've got a shower room to re-tile. The existing tiles (6" x 6") are
coming off without too much trouble but are either leaving adhesive
stuck to the plaster, or are loosening/pulling off the plaster to
various depths.

Do I leave the wall as it is once all the tiles are off and just stick
the new (13" x 9.75") tiles on with 'plenty' of adhesive, or do I remove
the remaining adhesive and risk pulling more plaster off, and then make
good with patching plaster?

I know which I'd rather do!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul-S8

"F" wrote in message
I've got a shower room to re-tile. The existing tiles (6" x 6") are coming
off without too much trouble but are either leaving adhesive stuck to the
plaster, or are loosening/pulling off the plaster to various depths.

Do I leave the wall as it is once all the tiles are off and just stick the
new (13" x 9.75") tiles on with 'plenty' of adhesive, or do I remove the
remaining adhesive and risk pulling more plaster off, and then make good
with patching plaster?

I know which I'd rather do!

I would say remove what you can and patch up to some kind of good working
level otherwise you will battle to get a smooth flat finish for your tiles.
I havent done it myself but a friend tried it and it took longer to spread
different levels of adhesive and try to make a level surface. he had a
couple of tiles that didn't look just right in the end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"F" wrote in message
I've got a shower room to re-tile. The existing tiles (6" x 6") are coming
off without too much trouble but are either leaving adhesive stuck to the
plaster, or are loosening/pulling off the plaster to various depths.

Do I leave the wall as it is once all the tiles are off and just stick the
new (13" x 9.75") tiles on with 'plenty' of adhesive, or do I remove the
remaining adhesive and risk pulling more plaster off, and then make good
with patching plaster?

I know which I'd rather do!

Remove the adhesive (steam wallpaper stripper) and make good the really bad
bits. The repairs don't have to be 'perfect' just something flatish with
the surrounding areas so you can tile on to it.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2006 14:44 John wrote:

Remove the adhesive (steam wallpaper stripper)

Is that because the old adhesive would provide a weak base, or because
it's not going to be flat?

and make good the really bad
bits. The repairs don't have to be 'perfect' just something flatish with
the surrounding areas so you can tile on to it.

Sounding good! I thought I might get a chorus of strip it all down and
re-plaster!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"F" wrote in message
On 13/01/2006 14:44 John wrote:

Remove the adhesive (steam wallpaper stripper)

Is that because the old adhesive would provide a weak base, or because
it's not going to be flat?

Not flat
and make good the really bad bits. The repairs don't have to be
'perfect' just something flatish with the surrounding areas so you can
tile on to it.

Sounding good! I thought I might get a chorus of strip it all down and
re-plaster!

Unless it is REALLY bad you should not have to replaster. You should just
be able to patch plaster any bits that are large (you decide). Small bits
can be left and an allowance made with the adhesive on the relevant tiles,
again you decide which are small and large. Once the tiles are up nobody
will know. Just take your time and care in the laying of the tiles!

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2006 17:17 John wrote:

Unless it is REALLY bad you should not have to replaster.

Sod's Law! There has been a leak through one of the grout joints below
the shower valves. The wall is wet through and the plaster in that area
has fallen away as I've taken the tiles off (not much effort required!).

Looks like I need to strip the entire wall and get a plasterer in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo

If the wall will be tiled, there's no need (in my humble opinion) for
the services
of a plasterer - it doesn't need to be polished to perfection, just
pretty flat and
sound.
Read up on plastering first (search in this newgroup).

HTH

Mungo

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"Mungo" writes:
If the wall will be tiled, there's no need (in my humble opinion) for
the services
of a plasterer - it doesn't need to be polished to perfection, just
pretty flat and
sound.
Read up on plastering first (search in this newgroup).

Should only need to do the scratch (under) coat and level it off
with a straight edge. I would have thought the resulting rough
surface would be fine for sticking tiles to, indeed probably
better than a smooth surface. You do have to let it fully dry
before tiling though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2006 14:39 Mungo wrote:

If the wall will be tiled, there's no need (in my humble opinion) for
the services of a plasterer - it doesn't need to be polished to
perfection, just pretty flat and sound.

The feeds to the shower valve are let into the wall but not far enough
to be flush. The plaster allowed them to be buried a little. I could
chisel out the wall out a little more to accommodate them though...

Read up on plastering first (search in this newgroup).

I'll do that if the chiselling isn't going to be an option.

Thanks for the help.