Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default The 24K police shower room saga

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 19:30:57 +0000 someone who may be Steven Briggs
wrote this:-

Anyway, this evening a report into the issue has been released, and the
author was being quizzed on Radio York.
Original refurb of the 1970's shower room was budgeted at about 6K.
Poor project management is being blamed for costs quadrupling, looks the
like the Police Estates Dept will be carrying the can on this.

That's usually the case. The customer asks for something to be done,
they are told it will be expensive, they say to do it all the same
and then they duck when the costs of their actions come in.

Sounds like of couple of ill-considered decisions were made without
examining the implications.
1) Re-arrange the fittings the room - result soil stack had to be moved.

Sounds possible, depending on the size of the room and the layout.
An expensive change to the project.

2) Specifying a mixer valve for the shower rather than the previous
instantaneous electric one - result installation of a complete new hot
water feed system.

Obviously. An expensive change to the project.

I hope they have taken adequate precautions against legionella.

(To be fair, the CC had received an electric shock in the room apparently)

So what? People are not being struck down every day by instantaneous
electric showers.

I still don't see why she can't use the same showers as everyone
else.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh