Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default timed meter

Is it possible to get Scottish Power to fit a timed meter like used on
storage heaters so I can put the washing and drying on at night? I dont
have and dont want storage heater though

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it possible to get Scottish Power to fit a timed meter like used on
storage heaters so I can put the washing and drying on at night? I dont
have and dont want storage heater though

The tariff you refer to is called Economy 7. Not sure if it is still
available to new users
The units might be cheap for the 7 hours over night but they are really
expensive during the daytime. In this way the tariff only makes sense if
nearly all of your consumption is at night.
I suspect that this won't suit your needs.

NB they won't fit two meters and supply you on two different tariffs one on
each at the same address - I tried that!

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Bob Minchin" writes:

"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it possible to get Scottish Power to fit a timed meter like used on
storage heaters so I can put the washing and drying on at night? I dont
have and dont want storage heater though

The tariff you refer to is called Economy 7. Not sure if it is still
available to new users
The units might be cheap for the 7 hours over night but they are really
expensive during the daytime. In this way the tariff only makes sense if
nearly all of your consumption is at night.
I suspect that this won't suit your needs.

Modern (anything in last 30+ years) european washing machines
don't actually use much power per wash either. I suspect you
would have to be running several of them all night before it
became economical.

BTW, Maplin had their plug-in power meter on special offer when
I was in there last weekend. You could use this to work out
exactly how much a wash costs you, but I suspect it's in the
pence range.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Bob Minchin" writes:

"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Thanks, and cheers for the info on Maplin, I've been after one of those
for "toy" vlaue :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02 Dec 2006 10:31:21 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The tariff you refer to is called Economy 7. Not sure if it is still
available to new users The units might be cheap for the 7 hours over
night but they are really expensive during the daytime. In this way
the tariff only makes sense if nearly all of your consumption is at
night.

Not quite true. Yes, the day units are more expensive than normal
domestic tarrif ones and so is the standing charge but you don't need to
have "nearly all of your consumption" at night.

I haven't updated my spread sheet that does the number chrunching for me
but with:

Standing
Charge Peak Off Peak
E7 12.97 6.46 2.46
Domestic 9.39 5.94

To save Standing Charge 1.46 units per night.
To save Peak Rate 0.21 Off Peak units per Peak unit used.

Which works out at about of 1/4 of your consumption required in the off
peak period. Though it varies on consumption of course:

7 peak, 3 off peak, 10 total/day
12 peak, 4 off peak, 16 total/day
16 peak 5 off peak, 21 total/day

All break even or better over the domestic tarrif.

Modern (anything in last 30+ years) european washing machines
don't actually use much power per wash either.

But the dryer does... B-)

BTW, Maplin had their plug-in power meter on special offer when
I was in there last weekend. You could use this to work out
exactly how much a wash costs you, but I suspect it's in the
pence range.

Agreed doing some basic research into actual power used is a good idea.
The couple(ish) units to save the standing charge increase may well be
used by normal consumption by TV, lights, computers, fridge/freezers etc
in the 7 hour off peak period.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

UPDATE: 11 Meter to 10 Meter Yagi Antenna Conversion Brad Electronics Repair 1 June 18th 06 08:49 PM
Standalone mains socket timed storage heater - do they exist? Jonathan UK diy 7 November 11th 05 06:08 PM
timed thermostat fredbloggstwo UK diy 12 October 22nd 05 11:11 PM
Spot welder, fuzzy or simple timed? David Billington Metalworking 4 May 16th 05 03:11 PM
Cupboard light with timed auto-off Apteryx UK diy 6 July 22nd 04 09:52 PM