Jonathan

Default Standalone mains socket timed storage heater - do they exist?

The bloke at B&Q had never heard of them, I can't find them on the web, but
I am SURE that a standalone semi-storage type heater with timer must be
available.
Basically, the central heating has totally mashed up, it's going to be a
while to sort it (months?!?), and to heat the house electrically at day rate
for the evening would be utterly prohibitive.
Is there such a thing as a standalone storage heater? I realise it wouldn't
store as much because the core would have to be lighter, but...something
around £30ish?

Matt Beard

Do you already have the correct meters fitted for economy 7, and are
you already on this tariff? If not then a storage heater of any kind is
useless.

Jonathan

"Matt Beard" wrote in message
ups.com...
Do you already have the correct meters fitted for economy 7, and are
you already on this tariff? If not then a storage heater of any kind is
useless.

Oh yes! Well, there's a radio teleswitch which make the whole house go cheap
for about 7 hours, and is billed at 1/3 the daytime rate, so I reckon that
must be it!

Lurch

On or around Wed, 9 Nov 2005 17:22:07 -0000, "Jonathan"
mused:

The bloke at B&Q had never heard of them, I can't find them on the web, but
I am SURE that a standalone semi-storage type heater with timer must be
available.

They're not.

Basically, the central heating has totally mashed up, it's going to be a
while to sort it (months?!?), and to heat the house electrically at day rate
for the evening would be utterly prohibitive.
Is there such a thing as a standalone storage heater? I realise it wouldn't
store as much because the core would have to be lighter, but...something
around £30ish?

If you only want to spend £30 then I'm not even going to bother
telling you what your options are as none of them are anywhere near
£30.
--
| Stuart @ SJW Electrical. Please Reply to group. |
Jonathan

"Lurch" wrote in message
[...]

OK, one of the options ISN'T fixed storage heaters, and I need to heat 2
bedrooms and one living area on a 30 amp ring main, so I'm open to ideas!

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Jonathan wrote:
OK, one of the options ISN'T fixed storage heaters, and I need to heat 2
bedrooms and one living area on a 30 amp ring main, so I'm open to
ideas!

Basic fan heaters.

--
*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 20:36:23 +0000, Jonathan wrote:

"Lurch" wrote in message
[...]

It has been found to be cheaper (to run) to replace storage heaters with
less powerful electric convectors, on timers and thermostats. IF the
users are out at work all day.

Many programmable room stats (for CH) can switch 10A of pure resistive
load, but 2A of inductive (i.e. CH control gear).

Smiths (not WHSmiths!) do a programmable time switch cum FCU for around
£40.

Low cost Wall mounted convectors often have integral time switches and/or
thermostats.

I suspect that using non-storage electric heating is against the building
regs (Part L probably) however if the net effect is to consume (much) less
units of electricity it is clearly a moral win.

Lurch

On or around Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:23:46 +0000, Ed Sirett
mused:

It has been found to be cheaper (to run) to replace storage heaters with
less powerful electric convectors, on timers and thermostats. IF the
users are out at work all day.

Many programmable room stats (for CH) can switch 10A of pure resistive
load, but 2A of inductive (i.e. CH control gear).

Smiths (not WHSmiths!) do a programmable time switch cum FCU for around
£40.

Low cost Wall mounted convectors often have integral time switches and/or
thermostats.

Exactly what I was about to say, (nearly)!
--
| Stuart @ SJW Electrical. Please Reply to group. |

Weird phone wiring with new flat - help needed with BT Broadband and master socket kiich UK diy 30 August 30th 05 11:04 PM
Storage heater panel and parts Manic Blue UK diy 2 October 7th 03 10:58 PM
Creda Storage Heater Advice Gwyn Edwards UK diy 0 October 5th 03 06:58 PM
Storage heater panel Manic Blue UK diy 0 October 2nd 03 02:50 PM
Question regarding adding an extra socket to the ring main Fiona Reid UK diy 10 September 3rd 03 04:45 PM