David Billington

Default Spot welder, fuzzy or simple timed?

I am considering getting a spot welder for some impending car
restoration and want to get a 2mm + 2mm capacity unit. Ebay is one
source where the simple timed units appear regularly but I was wondering
if anyone came comment on benefits or drawbacks with the fuzzy logic
controlled ones such as
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=010110013

TLA

Christopher Tidy

David Billington wrote:
I am considering getting a spot welder for some impending car
restoration and want to get a 2mm + 2mm capacity unit. Ebay is one
source where the simple timed units appear regularly but I was wondering
if anyone came comment on benefits or drawbacks with the fuzzy logic
controlled ones such as
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=010110013

I can't comment on the advantages and disadvantages of different types
of spot welder, but I do know that a some of the gear Machine Mart sell
is of a pretty dodgy quality. When I was looking for a power hacksaw a
while back I looked at the Clarke brand machines and decided to get a
used (1960s) Qualters and Smith machine instead. I've always been glad
that I did; there's no comparison really!

Chris

David Billington

I am aware of the quality situation, I buy from machine mart when its
not going to be used to any great extent. The spot welder is I believe
of Italian manufacture and probably of better quality than the chinese
stuff they sell judging from one I have seen. I have gotten a 4x6
bandsaw from them and it got some issues but has more than paid for
itself. MM has there place. I always wondered how they could call one of
the lathes they sell a "precision toolroom lathe" in the printed
catalogue, I thought trading standards might have thoughts on the
accuracy of that description on a £700 chinese lathe.

Christopher Tidy wrote:

David Billington wrote:

I am considering getting a spot welder for some impending car
restoration and want to get a 2mm + 2mm capacity unit. Ebay is one
source where the simple timed units appear regularly but I was
wondering if anyone came comment on benefits or drawbacks with the
fuzzy logic controlled ones such as
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=010110013

I can't comment on the advantages and disadvantages of different types
of spot welder, but I do know that a some of the gear Machine Mart
sell is of a pretty dodgy quality. When I was looking for a power
hacksaw a while back I looked at the Clarke brand machines and decided
to get a used (1960s) Qualters and Smith machine instead. I've always
been glad that I did; there's no comparison really!

Chris

Christopher Tidy

David Billington wrote:
I am aware of the quality situation, I buy from machine mart when its
not going to be used to any great extent. The spot welder is I believe
of Italian manufacture and probably of better quality than the chinese
stuff they sell judging from one I have seen. I have gotten a 4x6
bandsaw from them and it got some issues but has more than paid for
itself. MM has there place. I always wondered how they could call one of
the lathes they sell a "precision toolroom lathe" in the printed
catalogue, I thought trading standards might have thoughts on the
accuracy of that description on a £700 chinese lathe.

Sounds like you probably visit Machine Mart more often than me. I just
thought I'd mention it in case you were new to the scene and weren't
aware of the market for second hand equipment. I remember when I first
saw a Machine Mart catalogue and thought "Cool!", not realising that
there was much better stuff available. A portable spot welder probably
won't be so easy to find second hand. I hope you locate something that
does the job.

Best wishes,

Chris

David Billington

I've got my eye on one on ebay at the moment, its local and looks in
good nick. They typically go for around £150 - £180 depending on
condition and accesories. I was just trying to find out if the fuzzy
controller gave any benefits as I haven't found any information on the
www yet other than places selling them.

Christopher Tidy wrote:

David Billington wrote:
[...]

Stryco blade welder Jim Levie Metalworking 18 December 17th 04 08:54 PM
Home Brew Spot Welder Howard Eisenhauer Metalworking 10 April 26th 04 07:58 AM
spot welder kklein Metalworking 9 January 28th 04 03:19 PM
Spot Welder homebrew? Soldering gun? Mark Metalworking 15 January 23rd 04 07:06 PM
Question on Miller Spot welder tips Roy Metalworking 2 January 19th 04 03:00 AM