kklein

Default spot welder

Need help with Miller spot welder. It's a LMSW-52. I bought at auction
while back and don't really have a steady use for it, but sometimes
something comes up and I'll try it. At first it would weld but now I can't
get any heat out of it. The transformer hums but no weld. Any tips on what
to check or look for would be greatly appreciated. Anybody have one of
these?
kk

Tom Gardner

On my Miller, the top tong moves to clamp. It is electrically connected to
the welding supply with a stack of copper straps or braided copper flat
cable. Check the connections here and see if they broke.

"kklein" wrote in message
Need help with Miller spot welder. It's a LMSW-52. I bought at auction
while back and don't really have a steady use for it, but sometimes
something comes up and I'll try it. At first it would weld but now I

can't
get any heat out of it. The transformer hums but no weld. Any tips on

what
to check or look for would be greatly appreciated. Anybody have one of
these?
kk

Backlash

Four things needed for proper spot welds..Heat, current, time, and clean,
properly prepared tips of the proper material. Dirty tips are a likely
culprit, if you have used it before. It is a sensitive area. Lightly
sandpaper and retest. I assume you're attempting to weld steel? Nonferrous
materials like brass and such require capacitive discharge welders, in my
experience.

RJ

"kklein" wrote in message
Need help with Miller spot welder. It's a LMSW-52. I bought at auction
while back and don't really have a steady use for it, but sometimes
something comes up and I'll try it. At first it would weld but now I

can't
get any heat out of it. The transformer hums but no weld. Any tips on

what
to check or look for would be greatly appreciated. Anybody have one of
these?
kk

Martin H. Eastburn

Measure the voltage on the arms when 'running'. Voltage ?

If so - then there is oxide in the threads and this limits the current
in the tips. Perhaps the almost pointed tips are plated. Look at them -
can they conduct ?

What are you trying to weld - some light steel strips ? or just the tips.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

Roy

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:08:51 -0500, "kklein" wrote:

===Need help with Miller spot welder. It's a LMSW-52. I bought at auction
===while back and don't really have a steady use for it, but sometimes
===something comes up and I'll try it. At first it would weld but now I can't
===get any heat out of it. The transformer hums but no weld. Any tips on what
===to check or look for would be greatly appreciated. Anybody have one of
===these?
===kk
===

If the transformer is good, and the tongs are making a good
connection, I would zero in on the tips. MAke sure they are clean and
that the diameter of the tips do not exceed Millers recomended tip
diam size and that they align with each other and make full contact.
The metal your joining has to be relatively clean between them if its
near the max thickness of the limits of the machine. On thinner metal
it may work ok with slighly more dirty metals but the cleaner the
better. It sounds like your not making real good contact between the
sandwhiched layers of metal and the welding tips. Make sure there is
sufficient toggle / tong clamping pressure as well. Snug but not
overly tight.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
kklein

The only practical thing I recall using it for was to reweld an idler pulley
I'd replaced the bearing in. Two halves were thin steel stampings. Worked
pretty well though. Experimented with some stainless sheet material and
worked okay. When I last tried though the steel didn't even get hot. I
will check for oxidation. I remember an old weller solder gun that would
need periodic loosening and retightening of the tip to get it to heat.
Presumably oxide issues.
om...