kklein

Default spot welder

Loved your web site. Too many ideas to do. Always wanted to cast some
stuff and now I know exactly what to do with those satellite dishes.
"Roy" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:08:51 -0500, "kklein" wrote:

===Need help with Miller spot welder. It's a LMSW-52. I bought at

auction
===while back and don't really have a steady use for it, but sometimes
===something comes up and I'll try it. At first it would weld but now

I can't
===get any heat out of it. The transformer hums but no weld. Any tips

on what
===to check or look for would be greatly appreciated. Anybody have one

of
===these?
===kk
===

If the transformer is good, and the tongs are making a good
connection, I would zero in on the tips. MAke sure they are clean and
that the diameter of the tips do not exceed Millers recomended tip
diam size and that they align with each other and make full contact.
The metal your joining has to be relatively clean between them if its
near the max thickness of the limits of the machine. On thinner metal
it may work ok with slighly more dirty metals but the cleaner the
better. It sounds like your not making real good contact between the
sandwhiched layers of metal and the welding tips. Make sure there is
sufficient toggle / tong clamping pressure as well. Snug but not
overly tight.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.