kklein

Default spot welder

The only practical thing I recall using it for was to reweld an idler pulley
I'd replaced the bearing in. Two halves were thin steel stampings. Worked
pretty well though. Experimented with some stainless sheet material and
worked okay. When I last tried though the steel didn't even get hot. I
will check for oxidation. I remember an old weller solder gun that would
need periodic loosening and retightening of the tip to get it to heat.
Presumably oxide issues.
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
om...
Measure the voltage on the arms when 'running'. Voltage ?

If so - then there is oxide in the threads and this limits the current
in the tips. Perhaps the almost pointed tips are plated. Look at them -
can they conduct ?

What are you trying to weld - some light steel strips ? or just the tips.

Martin

kklein wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I will check that out.
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
gy.com...

On my Miller, the top tong moves to clamp. It is electrically connected

the welding supply with a stack of copper straps or braided copper flat
cable. Check the connections here and see if they broke.

"kklein" wrote in message

Need help with Miller spot welder. It's a LMSW-52. I bought at

auction
while back and don't really have a steady use for it, but sometimes
something comes up and I'll try it. At first it would weld but now I

can't

get any heat out of it. The transformer hums but no weld. Any tips on

what

to check or look for would be greatly appreciated. Anybody have one of
these?
kk

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn