fredbloggstwo

Default timed thermostat

Hi All,

I am looking for a way to have a night and day setting for the hall CH
thermostat with the (obvious) ability to set the switch over times.

Does such a device exist? If so, do you have any recommendations and is it a
straight substitution for the usual Honeywell unit?

Thanks and regards, Mike

john

"fredbloggstwo" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am looking for a way to have a night and day setting for the hall CH
thermostat with the (obvious) ability to set the switch over times.

Does such a device exist? If so, do you have any recommendations and is it
straight substitution for the usual Honeywell unit?

Thanks and regards, Mike

Try one of these - superb:

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
fredbloggstwo wrote:
I am looking for a way to have a night and day setting for the hall CH
thermostat with the (obvious) ability to set the switch over times.

Have a search for programmable thermostats. They'll do what you want and
more.

www.tlc-direct.co.uk etc.

Does such a device exist? If so, do you have any recommendations and is
it a straight substitution for the usual Honeywell unit?

Not quite - they actually have rather more simple connections, because
they're battery operated. So only two wires needed - and no earth. So they
can replace most thermostats regardless of make.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
mike ring

"fredbloggstwo" wrote in
:

Does such a device exist? If so, do you have any recommendations and
is it a straight substitution for the usual Honeywell unit?

If you want an "exact" replacement look at the Drayton Digistat range.

I use one because it has the same lightswitch size outline as the normal
honeywell, and I needed that for my hovel

mike
fredbloggstwo

"fredbloggstwo" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am looking for a way to have a night and day setting for the hall CH
thermostat with the (obvious) ability to set the switch over times.

Does such a device exist? If so, do you have any recommendations and is it

straight substitution for the usual Honeywell unit?

Thanks and regards, Mike

Thanks Guys

All very helpful, as usual.

Kind regards, Mike

john wrote:

"fredbloggstwo" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am looking for a way to have a night and day setting for the hall CH
thermostat with the (obvious) ability to set the switch over times.

Does such a device exist? If so, do you have any recommendations and is
it a
straight substitution for the usual Honeywell unit?

Thanks and regards, Mike

Try one of these - superb:

I don't know what these ones are like but the earlier smaller Horstmann
progstats were a PITA to use. Sunvic do a nice setback thermostat type
(where you set two temperatures and set times at which it goes from one
temp to theother) but if you want to set multiple different temperatures I
suggest the Honeywell CM67 which is easy to program and to adjust in use,
if you need to. RKM Heating Controls (now called something like heating
controls online) do the best price I've found for these.

Michael Chare

"fredbloggstwo" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am looking for a way to have a night and day setting for the hall CH
thermostat with the (obvious) ability to set the switch over times.

Does such a device exist? If so, do you have any recommendations and is it a
straight substitution for the usual Honeywell unit?

There are a number of units which will allow you to set a temperature profile,
some have an separatel weekend profile

Is this gas or oil fired central heating, and if so is it fully pumped or does
it have gravity hot water?

Is there any existing off/on time switch.

--

Michael Chare

Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
john wrote:

[...]

Always get the CM67 with the optimisation function.

Michael Chare

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

wrote in message
john wrote:

[...]

Unless you have a gravity hot water system, in which case you would likely be
better off with a Danfoss TP9.
(if you use a CM67 with a gravity system you would need to leave the boiler/hot
water on all the time, as the hot water is typically on whenever the whenever
the programmer says the central heating can be on.).

--

Michael Chare

Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
john wrote:

[...]

A CM67 with optimisation will work very well with a system with gravity DHW.
You need to understand how it works and the also the CM67.

Matt

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

A CM67 with optimisation will work very well with a system with gravity DHW.
You need to understand how it works and the also the CM67.

It is a well known drawback of the CM67 that it is not a one box
controller solution if timed hot water is required as there is a total
absence of a second timer in all the CM6* series.

The second box commonly used is unfortunately one of the clunky 6000
series controllers like the ST6100A but that can be hidden out of the
way. :-)

You'd better read the manual again Dribble!

fredbloggstwo

"Michael Chare" wrote in message

"fredbloggstwo" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am looking for a way to have a night and day setting for the hall CH
thermostat with the (obvious) ability to set the switch over times.

Does such a device exist? If so, do you have any recommendations and is

it a
straight substitution for the usual Honeywell unit?

There are a number of units which will allow you to set a temperature

profile,
some have an separatel weekend profile

Is this gas or oil fired central heating, and if so is it fully pumped or

does
it have gravity hot water?

Is there any existing off/on time switch.

--

Michael Chare

I found one in Been and Queued that does what I need. It's a Drayton
Digistat and can replace the old Honeywell wall stat (which was basically a
temperature controlled switch on a normally open set of contacts). The
Drayton has a normally-closed or normally-open set of contacts switched to a
common live. The only thing to watch is that the Drayton doesn't need the
neutral that is normally connected to keep the Honeywell hysteresis resistor
warm. Quite a useful device in that it works on a 5/2 or 7 day cycle.

Again thanks for the pointers and advice

Regards, Mike

mike ring

"fredbloggstwo" wrote in
:

I found one in Been and Queued that does what I need. It's a Drayton
Digistat and can replace the old Honeywell wall stat (which was
basically a temperature controlled switch on a normally open set of
contacts). Quite a useful device in
that it works on a 5/2 or 7 day cycle.

The only downside I found is that a degree in rocket science helps when
setting it up!

mike