Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default boiler replacement

After reading some of the posts here, I was wondering if everyone was of the
opinion that Its not worth getting British gas to replace a boiler. Are
they really that bad!!! Before I hire them to do the job.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"doobydoobydo" wrote:
After reading some of the posts here, I was wondering if everyone was of
the opinion that Its not worth getting British gas to replace a boiler.
Are they really that bad!!! Before I hire them to do the job.

Since they usually sub-contract to local heating firms I don't see that
workmanship should be an issue, but it tends to be more expensive as BG will
want a cut. My only experience of using BG to install a full GCH system in a
1900 semi was that the workmanship was fine (two fitters from a local
central heating firm in a BG van and wearing BG overalls) but the system was
badly designed (as I found out later). Boiler replacement can easily cost
around £1300 so it is wise to get several estimates, ideally from local
firms with good reputations (which will be the same ones used by BG), and in
your case make sure that the choice of boiler is right from all the options
available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"doobydoobydo" wrote:
After reading some of the posts here, I was wondering if everyone was of
the opinion that Its not worth getting British gas to replace a boiler.
Are they really that bad!!! Before I hire them to do the job.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html
Knowledge is power, or so they say.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do not go anywhere near British gas, they are completely incompetant.
They couldnt even repair my heating controls, and I am currently still
chasing them to put right something they did wrong!

They will charge you more, show you no customer service or respect and
generally just mess you around.

Just tye in british gas complaints in google and see how many thousands
of posts you see!
Handy wrote:

"doobydoobydo" wrote:
After reading some of the posts here, I was wondering if everyone was of
the opinion that Its not worth getting British gas to replace a boiler.
Are they really that bad!!! Before I hire them to do the job.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html
Knowledge is power, or so they say.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "doobydoobydo" contains these words:

British gas

No, don't. They're truly dire. Every contact I've ever had with BG has
been an umitigated disaster.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Handy wrote:
Boiler replacement can easily cost around £1300 so it is wise to get
several estimates,

I very much doubt you'd get a figure anywhere near that from BG - in fact
you could more than double it.

--
*If vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Handy" wrote in message
"doobydoobydo" wrote:
After reading some of the posts here, I was wondering if everyone was of
the opinion that Its not worth getting British gas to replace a boiler.
Are they really that bad!!! Before I hire them to do the job.

Since they usually sub-contract to local heating firms I don't see that
workmanship should be an issue,

but that *is* an issue because the customer has lost control of a key issue,
the selection of the installer. Going direct, assuming you succeed in
getting any local installer to show an interest, you can at least form an
opinion.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Handy" wrote in message
"doobydoobydo" wrote:
After reading some of the posts here, I was wondering if everyone was of
the opinion that Its not worth getting British gas to replace a boiler.
Are they really that bad!!! Before I hire them to do the job.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html
Knowledge is power, or so they say.

That FAQ is 20 years out of date.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"doobydoobydo" wrote in message
After reading some of the posts here, I was wondering if everyone was of
the opinion that Its not worth getting British gas to replace a boiler.
Are they really that bad!!! Before I hire them to do the job.

Thanks

Why do you want to replace the boiler? What CH system do you have now? Do
you have cold tank and cylinder? Power shower pump? Good mains pressure?
It is worth re-assessing your requirements while at this stage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)"
I very much doubt you'd get a figure anywhere near that from BG - in fact
you could more than double it.

Agreed. I was thinking of a firm other than BG. BG charge up to £400 just to
do a power flush, which means they sub-contract it and add their take, so it
costs double.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html
Knowledge is power, or so they say.

That FAQ is 20 years out of date.

Then write a new one and submit it for approval.

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Handy wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)"
I very much doubt you'd get a figure anywhere near that from BG - in fact
you could more than double it.

Agreed. I was thinking of a firm other than BG. BG charge up to £400 just to
do a power flush, which means they sub-contract it and add their take, so it
costs double.

Check the cost of the boiler, add £300-£400 for a straightforward
replacement (or more if it's complicated). Get a list of local CORGIs
from their website and ring round. Tell them what you're willing to pay,
and invite them to drop round if they're interested. They all tell you
they wouldn't cross the road for that sort of money, but a nice local
job on a quiet day is better than nothing, and they all have more quiet
days than they're prepared to admit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html
Knowledge is power, or so they say.

That FAQ is 20 years out of date.

Then

Will you please eff off as you are a complete plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html
Knowledge is power, or so they say.

That FAQ is 20 years out of date.

Then write a new one and submit it for approval.

Will you please eff off as you are a complete plantpot.

More proof you are all mouth and trousers - as if any more was needed.

--
*Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off NOW.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

boiler has started not fireing up intermittedly, pilot light works.

Boiler is 16 years old
'Regular boiler' ie not combi
Cylinder
Tank in loft two I think one smaller .overflow??
power shower
chalky water (limescale)
Don't know about water pressure we are in felpham bognor regis West sussex
9 rads
Bungalow
No trv attached at mo

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"doobydoobydo" wrote in message
After reading some of the posts here, I was wondering if everyone was of
the opinion that Its not worth getting British gas to replace a boiler.
Are they really that bad!!! Before I hire them to do the job.

Thanks

Why do you want to replace the boiler? What CH system do you have now?
Do you have cold tank and cylinder? Power shower pump? Good mains
pressure? It is worth re-assessing your requirements while at this stage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html
Knowledge is power, or so they say.

That FAQ is 20 years out of date.

Then write a new one and submit it for approval.

Will you please eff off as you are a complete plantpot.

More

Will you please eff off as you are a complete plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"doobydoobydo" wrote in message
boiler has started not fireing up intermittedly, pilot light works.

Boiler is 16 years old
'Regular boiler' ie not combi
Cylinder
Tank in loft two I think one smaller .overflow??
power shower
chalky water (limescale)
Don't know about water pressure we are in felpham bognor regis West sussex
9 rads
Bungalow
No trv attached at mo

Go for a high flow hot water combi. Test the mains water pressure. time a
bucket from the cold mains tap. What is the litres per minute.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Stuart Noble
writes
Handy wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)"
I very much doubt you'd get a figure anywhere near that from BG - in fact
you could more than double it.

Agreed. I was thinking of a firm other than BG. BG charge up to £400
just to do a power flush, which means they sub-contract it and add
their take, so it costs double.

Check the cost of the boiler, add £300-£400 for a straightforward
replacement (or more if it's complicated). Get a list of local CORGIs
from their website and ring round. Tell them what you're willing to
pay, and invite them to drop round if they're interested. They all tell
you they wouldn't cross the road for that sort of money, but a nice
local job on a quiet day is better than nothing, and they all have more
quiet days than they're prepared to admit.

Find out who your local authority uses, might not be the cheapest but at
least you know it's a real company that can do a job to a decent
standard

If you're looking for cover, they can probably offer that to you as well

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Go for a high flow hot water combi. Test the mains water pressure. time a
bucket from the cold mains tap. What is the litres per minute.

Water *pressure* is measured in litres per minute now is it?

Graham.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham" wrote in message

Go for a high flow hot water combi. Test the mains water pressure. time a
bucket from the cold mains tap. What is the litres per minute.

Water *pressure* is measured in litres per minute now is it?

If you say so. Duh!

boiler replacement. Cuprager UK diy 5 January 25th 06 10:53 AM
Boiler replacement Boiler man UK diy 13 January 22nd 06 09:59 PM
Boiler Replacement alexbartman UK diy 55 April 12th 05 01:39 PM
Condensing Boiler replacement for my conventional boiler Andy Kaye UK diy 45 March 1st 05 09:54 AM
Boiler Replacement Peter G UK diy 2 January 9th 04 02:29 PM