Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does this exist?

Hi,

I want to be able to bolt things down to my workbench easily using bolts
with plastic moulded "wheel" handles. I don't have access to the underside
of the bench because of the way it is made, so I'm not able to use pronged
tee's :

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...hText=12749-80

So, what I want is a small 22m^2 plate that I can recess into the bench and
screw down from the top, where the plate has a threaded hole in the middle,
maybe even a back nut or threaded sleeve behind it.

Does anything like this exist? If so what are they called and where would I
get some?

It's not an insurmountable problem, but if there is a "thing" that already
exists, so much the better...

Cheers
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorry for replying to my own thread...

A colleague suggested :

And this seems to be a good source of associated things...

http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/jigmaking/

Cheers,

Chris

"Chris Styles" wrote in message
Hi,

I want to be able to bolt things down to my workbench easily using bolts
with plastic moulded "wheel" handles. I don't have access to the underside
of the bench because of the way it is made, so I'm not able to use pronged
tee's :

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...hText=12749-80

So, what I want is a small 22m^2 plate that I can recess into the bench
and screw down from the top, where the plate has a threaded hole in the
middle, maybe even a back nut or threaded sleeve behind it.

Does anything like this exist? If so what are they called and where would
I get some?

It's not an insurmountable problem, but if there is a "thing" that already
exists, so much the better...

Cheers
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Styles wrote:
Hi,

I want to be able to bolt things down to my workbench easily using
bolts with plastic moulded "wheel" handles. I don't have access to
the underside of the bench because of the way it is made, so I'm not
able to use pronged tee's :

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...nid=3VSMNPAIHJ
1KICSTHZOSFFY?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=12749-80

So, what I want is a small 22m^2 plate that I can recess into the
bench and screw down from the top, where the plate has a threaded
hole in the middle, maybe even a back nut or threaded sleeve behind
it.

Does anything like this exist? If so what are they called and where
would I get some?

It's not an insurmountable problem, but if there is a "thing" that
already exists, so much the better...

Cheers
Chris

1/8" Alluminium plate about 2" square with an 1/2" hole drilled in the
center,with a drill/router cut an hole in the bench about the same diameter
of the bolt you intend to use? drop the bolt into the hole,put plate over
the nut and screw it down in all 4 corners of the plate.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-...ngs-208051.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:44:07 -0000, "Chris Styles"
wrote:

|Hi,
|
|I want to be able to bolt things down to my workbench easily using bolts
|with plastic moulded "wheel" handles. I don't have access to the underside
|of the bench because of the way it is made, so I'm not able to use pronged
|tee's :

I made the front of my workbench free of all obstructions so that I could
use a fancy expensive removable vice, which has remained in its box.

I use some big G clamps, which only need a 1 inch lip round the bench.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...26homeRef%3 D
http://tinyurl.com/yh8wk2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:55:01 -0000, "Chris Styles"
wrote:

A colleague suggested :

I've used a fair number of these in softwood for doors held shut by
hand wheels. They have a tendency to come loose with frequent use -
a drop of polyurethane wood adhesive on the outer blades of them when
fitting them helps a lot.

You might find it better to create the recess you were talking about,
put the insert in and then fit a drilled plate over it to provide
extra stability.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

1/8" Alluminium plate about 2" square with an 1/2" hole drilled in the
center,with a drill/router cut an hole in the bench about the same
diameter of the bolt you intend to use? drop the bolt into the hole,put
plate over the nut and screw it down in all 4 corners of the plate.

Axminster sell a similar gadget but with a keyhole slot, so the plate(s)
can be left permanently countersunk into the bench top:
http://tinyurl.com/ymha9l

It should be possible to make something similar at much less cost.
Self-adjusting hold down clamps are cheap, and the plates would be easy
enough to drill and file by hand; it's more about finding an easy source
of pre-cut blanks.

Alternatively, if the OP doesn't mind about drilling through into the
inaccessible space under his bench, Axminster's own-brand clamps with
the toothed stem might do the job:
http://tinyurl.com/uf24t

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Styles wrote:

Hi,

I want to be able to bolt things down to my workbench easily using bolts
with plastic moulded "wheel" handles. I don't have access to the underside
of the bench because of the way it is made, so I'm not able to use pronged
tee's :

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...hText=12749-80

So, what I want is a small 22m^2 plate that I can recess into the bench and
screw down from the top, where the plate has a threaded hole in the middle,
maybe even a back nut or threaded sleeve behind it.

Does anything like this exist? If so what are they called and where would I
get some?

It's not an insurmountable problem, but if there is a "thing" that already
exists, so much the better...

Cheers
Chris

Another option might be to sink short pieces of M12 rod into the
workbench from the top, after drilling and tapping them to take a
smaller bolt. Ie theyre like a sleeve screwed flush into the bench top.

I'm not sure what youre holding with the bolts, but for many jobs
predrilled holes in the wood with coarse thread coach screws may be
good enough. If the wood gets knackered after x years, drill the hole
out cleanly and insert a bit of fat dowel, with glue.

NT

Does it exist? bobs Electronics Repair 8 May 3rd 06 04:51 AM
Dimmable Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs/Lamps (CFLs) *do* exist [email protected] UK diy 7 March 3rd 06 10:15 AM
Integrity. It does exist in the Home Inspection profession- A positive rant. TNinspector Home Repair 15 February 18th 06 02:05 AM
Do Wireless Hot Water Thermostats exist ? Jules UK diy 7 April 1st 05 12:25 PM
does a round table that expands to a larger round table exist? sab Woodworking 0 December 16th 04 11:57 PM