Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does this exist?

Chris Styles wrote:

Hi,

I want to be able to bolt things down to my workbench easily using bolts
with plastic moulded "wheel" handles. I don't have access to the underside
of the bench because of the way it is made, so I'm not able to use pronged
tee's :

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...hText=12749-80

So, what I want is a small 22m^2 plate that I can recess into the bench and
screw down from the top, where the plate has a threaded hole in the middle,
maybe even a back nut or threaded sleeve behind it.

Does anything like this exist? If so what are they called and where would I
get some?

It's not an insurmountable problem, but if there is a "thing" that already
exists, so much the better...

Cheers
Chris

Another option might be to sink short pieces of M12 rod into the
workbench from the top, after drilling and tapping them to take a
smaller bolt. Ie theyre like a sleeve screwed flush into the bench top.

I'm not sure what youre holding with the bolts, but for many jobs
predrilled holes in the wood with coarse thread coach screws may be
good enough. If the wood gets knackered after x years, drill the hole
out cleanly and insert a bit of fat dowel, with glue.

NT