Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bobs

Default Does it exist?

Hi, my PC's 2 IDE channels are both in use leaving me unable to
connect anything further to them. So here's my problem, does a 4 way
IDE cable exist as opposed to the regular 3 way?
Basically i'm trying to fit a slave HDD to up the capacity as opposed
to upgrading my existing HDD. Are my attempts futile? Cheers, Bob.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
I.F.

"bobs" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, my PC's 2 IDE channels are both in use leaving me unable to
connect anything further to them. So here's my problem, does a 4 way
IDE cable exist as opposed to the regular 3 way?
Basically i'm trying to fit a slave HDD to up the capacity as opposed
to upgrading my existing HDD. Are my attempts futile? Cheers, Bob.

This was the 3rd hit when I googled "4 ide card", but you may have to search
a bit more extensively to find a card with user configurable address so you
can use it alongside the onboard IDE!

http://www.nextag.com/Adaptec-189120...RE-PRICES-html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 1 May 2006 15:25:12 -0700, "bobs" wrote:

Hi, my PC's 2 IDE channels are both in use leaving me unable to
connect anything further to them. So here's my problem, does a 4 way
IDE cable exist as opposed to the regular 3 way?
Basically i'm trying to fit a slave HDD to up the capacity as opposed
to upgrading my existing HDD. Are my attempts futile? Cheers, Bob.

What abouting using firewire/usb instead?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
bobs wrote:
Hi, my PC's 2 IDE channels are both in use leaving me unable to
connect anything further to them. So here's my problem, does a 4 way
IDE cable exist as opposed to the regular 3 way?
Basically i'm trying to fit a slave HDD to up the capacity as opposed
to upgrading my existing HDD. Are my attempts futile?

You need to fit an expansion card. Common ones allow 4 devices.

--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW

On 1 May 2006 15:25:12 -0700 "bobs" wrote in Message
id: . com:

Hi, my PC's 2 IDE channels are both in use leaving me unable to
connect anything further to them. So here's my problem, does a 4 way
IDE cable exist as opposed to the regular 3 way?

Nope. The reason being that a standard IDE port can only handle 2 devices.

Basically i'm trying to fit a slave HDD to up the capacity as opposed
to upgrading my existing HDD. Are my attempts futile? Cheers, Bob.

Add-in card. I'd go with a SATA card and SATA drives.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Pete

"bobs" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, my PC's 2 IDE channels are both in use leaving me unable to
connect anything further to them. So here's my problem, does a 4 way
IDE cable exist as opposed to the regular 3 way?
Basically i'm trying to fit a slave HDD to up the capacity as opposed
to upgrading my existing HDD. Are my attempts futile? Cheers, Bob.

If you already have four devices on your IDE chanells then you will have to
use a PCI expansion card or USB external unit. If you go for the PCI
expansion card then you may have trouble with the PSU which is undoubtedly
already struggling with the existing four devices. The best route would be
an external USB device that has it's own power.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Yeah but USB is so slow compared to having the drive hooked up the the IDE
bus..

- Mike

"Pete" wrote in message

"bobs" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, my PC's 2 IDE channels are both in use leaving me unable to
connect anything further to them. So here's my problem, does a 4 way
IDE cable exist as opposed to the regular 3 way?
Basically i'm trying to fit a slave HDD to up the capacity as opposed
to upgrading my existing HDD. Are my attempts futile? Cheers, Bob.

If you already have four devices on your IDE chanells then you will have
to use a PCI expansion card or USB external unit. If you go for the PCI
expansion card then you may have trouble with the PSU which is undoubtedly
already struggling with the existing four devices. The best route would be
an external USB device that has it's own power.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bill Jeffrey

Most computers have two IDE channels (Primary and Secondary), each of
which can handle two devices (Device 0 and Device 1). Have you used up
all four device positions?

Bill
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JW wrote:

On 1 May 2006 15:25:12 -0700 "bobs" wrote in Message
id: . com:

Hi, my PC's 2 IDE channels are both in use leaving me unable to
connect anything further to them. So here's my problem, does a 4 way
IDE cable exist as opposed to the regular 3 way?

Nope. The reason being that a standard IDE port can only handle 2 devices.

Basically i'm trying to fit a slave HDD to up the capacity as opposed
to upgrading my existing HDD. Are my attempts futile? Cheers, Bob.

Add-in card. I'd go with a SATA card and SATA drives.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Michael Kennedy wrote:
Yeah but USB is so slow compared to having the drive hooked up the the IDE
bus..

- Mike

USB 2.0 is pretty quick, probably just as fast as the IDE on an old
motherboard. I would say go with SATA though.