Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimmable Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs/Lamps (CFLs) *do* exist

Hi all,

contrary to general opinion, dimmable CFLs do exist. The trouble is,
I've only seen reference to them on the USA market. A few web-links
shows their existence:

TCPI 'SpringLamps' at http://www.tcpi.com/index.php

if you look at the (pdf) product catalog (sic) you'll see them at the
bottom right of the page:

http://www.tcpi.com/admin/attachments/pg.5_Springlamp.pdf

Also GreenLite USA http://www.greenliteusa.com/

http://www.greenliteusa.com/products/dimmable.asp

it costs $13.28 at the US Amazon.

The USA Dept. of Energy have a neat website that shows 29 dimmable
CFLs.

Go he
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=cfls.advanced_cfl_search,
tick the 'Dimmable' box, then the 'Find CFLs' button to see the
results.

And finally, a bit old, but there is also:

http://www.buildinggreen.com/auth/article.cfm?fileName=070209a.xml

"Philips Lighting introduced the Earth Light® Dimmable CFL in 1997"

Now all of these are US products, which won't work on UK voltage, and
I'm aware this is uk.d-i-y. Short of using a step down transformer on
the lighting circuit and sourcing all the lamps/bulbs from the USA
(what would Part 'P' have to say about that I wonder), has anyone come
across dimmable CFLs for UK/European use?

Sid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article .com,
writes:
Hi all,
contrary to general opinion,

Yours?

Er - no. I was just driven to pointing out they do exist by the
answers in the thread in this newsgroup titled "Dimmable Halogen
Lighting". I was (and am) aware that they exist, but apparently not
available as simple plug-in replacements for standard bayonet lamps in
the UK. Sorry if I have overgeneralised from a few particulars. Sloppy
thinking on my part.

dimmable CFLs do exist. The trouble is,
I've only seen reference to them on the USA market.

as has been mentioned here several times.

Well, apologies for the redundant message.

Now all of these are US products, which won't work on UK voltage, and
I'm aware this is uk.d-i-y. Short of using a step down transformer on
the lighting circuit and sourcing all the lamps/bulbs from the USA
(what would Part 'P' have to say about that I wonder), has anyone come
across dimmable CFLs for UK/European use?

Dimming electronic control gear is available for CFLs without
integral control gear, but make sure you are sitting down when
you find out the price...

I'd be interested to know where from, and yes, I am sitting down. I'm
aware (but not familiar) with dimmable fluorescents used in offices,
but 'all' I'm after (along with several other enquirers, it seems) is a
simple replacement for bayonet mount tungsten lamps that can be
controlled by standard 'wallswitch' dimmers. As I pointed out in the
original post, they are available in the USA, so it seems odd they are
not easily/generally available over here. I'd be very happy to be
demonstrated to be completely wrong, however, and all I need to do is
wander over to my local 'shed'.

Sid

Posted to uk.d-i-y
pen

has anyone come
across dimmable CFLs for UK/European use?

Yes. Megaman have just brought them out. See
http://www.megamanuk.com/newsroom/in...ew_prod_id=194

Pen

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message . com
from "pen" contains these words:

Yes. Megaman have just brought them out. See
http://www.megamanuk.com/newsroom/in...ew_prod_id=194

Hmm, distinct lack of price!

--
Skipweasel
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

wrote:

pen wrote:
has anyone come
across dimmable CFLs for UK/European use?

Yes. Megaman have just brought them out. See
http://www.megamanuk.com/newsroom/in...ew_prod_id=194

Pen

Unfortunately, it's not dimmable as such - it simply has 4 pre-set
levels of brightness. While this may well be adequate for many
purposes, it's not continuously variable.

It's not very clear if it does this when attached to a conventional
dimmer.