Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimmable Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs/Lamps (CFLs) *do* exist

Hi all,

contrary to general opinion, dimmable CFLs do exist. The trouble is,
I've only seen reference to them on the USA market. A few web-links
shows their existence:

TCPI 'SpringLamps' at http://www.tcpi.com/index.php

if you look at the (pdf) product catalog (sic) you'll see them at the
bottom right of the page:

http://www.tcpi.com/admin/attachments/pg.5_Springlamp.pdf

Also GreenLite USA http://www.greenliteusa.com/

http://www.greenliteusa.com/products/dimmable.asp

it costs $13.28 at the US Amazon.

The USA Dept. of Energy have a neat website that shows 29 dimmable
CFLs.

Go he
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=cfls.advanced_cfl_search,
tick the 'Dimmable' box, then the 'Find CFLs' button to see the
results.

And finally, a bit old, but there is also:

http://www.buildinggreen.com/auth/article.cfm?fileName=070209a.xml

"Philips Lighting introduced the Earth LightŪ Dimmable CFL in 1997"

Now all of these are US products, which won't work on UK voltage, and
I'm aware this is uk.d-i-y. Short of using a step down transformer on
the lighting circuit and sourcing all the lamps/bulbs from the USA
(what would Part 'P' have to say about that I wonder), has anyone come
across dimmable CFLs for UK/European use?

Sid