Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heating pipes proximity to cables

I have had to run the heating pipes about 50mm from the cables which
run throught the joists,.at 90 to each other so they dont run for any
distance together, would it be an overkill to make a heatshield or are
they OK, cables are above the pipes.

Cheers,

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
"Staffbull" writes:
I have had to run the heating pipes about 50mm from the cables which
run throught the joists,.at 90 to each other so they dont run for any
distance together, would it be an overkill to make a heatshield or are
they OK, cables are above the pipes.

Fit pipe insulation on the pipes at that point.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article . com,
"Staffbull" writes:
I have had to run the heating pipes about 50mm from the cables which
run throught the joists,.at 90 to each other so they dont run for any
distance together, would it be an overkill to make a heatshield or are
they OK, cables are above the pipes.

Fit pipe insulation on the pipes at that point.

--
Andrew Gabriel

I would but the pipe is clipped to the joist flush, I suppose I could
staple a 1/2 section,

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article . com,
"Staffbull" writes:

I have had to run the heating pipes about 50mm from the cables which
run throught the joists,.at 90 to each other so they dont run for any
distance together, would it be an overkill to make a heatshield or are
they OK, cables are above the pipes.

Fit pipe insulation on the pipes at that point.

--
Andrew Gabriel

I would but the pipe is clipped to the joist flush, I suppose I could
staple a 1/2 section,

A bit of foam tape (used for joining insulation) would do the trick if
the pipe's clean - you're only trying to reduce the heating of the cable.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

Staffbull wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article . com,
"Staffbull" writes:
I have had to run the heating pipes about 50mm from the cables which
run throught the joists,.at 90 to each other so they dont run for any
distance together, would it be an overkill to make a heatshield or are
they OK, cables are above the pipes.

Fit pipe insulation on the pipes at that point.

--
Andrew Gabriel

I would but the pipe is clipped to the joist flush,

not ideal: Your pipe would still be losing heat into the joist which
is then heats up the air space around the cable.

Standard cable ratings allow for an ambient up to 30deg C, otherwise
cable derating factors apply. Everything possible needs to be done to
keep the ambient air temperature in this space down.

Can't you alter the pipe so that it sits on normal saddle clips? Then
you should be able to fit pipe insulation (eg Climaflex), perhaps just
shaving off a little so that it is snug to the joist.

The heating pipes require insulation throughout any void they share
with cable.

Another option is to divide the void using plasterboard and completely
fill the section carrying the pipes with mineral wool type insulation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull Wrote:
I have had to run the heating pipes about 50mm from the cables which
run throught the joists,.at 90 to each other so they dont run for any
distance together, would it be an overkill to make a heatshield or are
they OK, cables are above the pipes.

Cheers,

Steve

I reckon you'll be OK because the lectric will cool down once its past
the pipes.

--
Nick H
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
Staffbull wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article . com,
"Staffbull" writes:
[...]

Cheers, second option is a go'er I'll do it tomorrow :-)