Posted to uk.d-i-y
Staffbull Staffbull is offline

Default Heating pipes proximity to cables

jim wrote:
Staffbull wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article . com,
"Staffbull" writes:
I have had to run the heating pipes about 50mm from the cables which
run throught the joists,.at 90 to each other so they dont run for any
distance together, would it be an overkill to make a heatshield or are
they OK, cables are above the pipes.

Fit pipe insulation on the pipes at that point.

--
Andrew Gabriel

I would but the pipe is clipped to the joist flush,

not ideal: Your pipe would still be losing heat into the joist which
is then heats up the air space around the cable.

Standard cable ratings allow for an ambient up to 30deg C, otherwise
cable derating factors apply. Everything possible needs to be done to
keep the ambient air temperature in this space down.

Can't you alter the pipe so that it sits on normal saddle clips? Then
you should be able to fit pipe insulation (eg Climaflex), perhaps just
shaving off a little so that it is snug to the joist.

The heating pipes require insulation throughout any void they share
with cable.

Another option is to divide the void using plasterboard and completely
fill the section carrying the pipes with mineral wool type insulation.

Cheers, second option is a go'er I'll do it tomorrow :-)