Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New boiler flue location

Hi

I need to get a new boiler installed. I will be getting a condensing
combi boiler and I want to relocate it to the cellar. The problem I
have is getting the flue out. The best place would mean the flue
exiting the cellar less than 300mm from the ground which is,
apparently, against the regs. Is it possible\allowed to have the flue
exit the house close to the ground but then have a 90 degree elbow to
take the flue and air intake up the wall to an acceptable height -
perhaps even to the eaves?

I have looked at the Vaillant ecoTec boiler flue options and they
appear to have these elbow fittings and extension tubes.

Thanks

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

just ensure that cellar is not airtight as the burner has to breathe
air in.

I doubt that you can get any modern condensing boilers that are not also
room sealed (i.e. balanced flue).

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it possible\allowed to have the flue exit the house close to
the ground but then have a 90 degree elbow to take the flue
and air intake up the wall to an acceptable height - perhaps
even to the eaves?

No problem. In fact, it is often only possible with a condensing boiler, as
the flue operates at such a low temperature.

You may have trouble getting rid of the condensate in a cellar installation.
Consider a condensate pump, such as a Sanicondens, to pump it away to the
drain. Do not accept the condensate just dripping onto the ground, like most
cowboy installers would have you believe is acceptable.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi

Thanks Christian

I have a drain in the cellar so that sholdn't be too much of a problem.

Mike

Christian McArdle wrote:
Is it possible\allowed to have the flue exit the house close to
the ground but then have a 90 degree elbow to take the flue
and air intake up the wall to an acceptable height - perhaps
even to the eaves?

No problem. In fact, it is often only possible with a condensing boiler, as
the flue operates at such a low temperature.

You may have trouble getting rid of the condensate in a cellar installation.
Consider a condensate pump, such as a Sanicondens, to pump it away to the
drain. Do not accept the condensate just dripping onto the ground, like most
cowboy installers would have you believe is acceptable.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi

thank you all for your help.

Cheers

Mike

John Rumm wrote:
wrote:

just ensure that cellar is not airtight as the burner has to breathe
air in.

I doubt that you can get any modern condensing boilers that are not also
room sealed (i.e. balanced flue).

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I need to get a new boiler installed. I will be getting a condensing
combi boiler and I want to relocate it to the cellar. The problem I
have is getting the flue out. The best place would mean the flue
exiting the cellar less than 300mm from the ground which is,
apparently, against the regs. Is it possible\allowed to have the flue
exit the house close to the ground but then have a 90 degree elbow to
take the flue and air intake up the wall to an acceptable height -
perhaps even to the eaves?

I have looked at the Vaillant ecoTec boiler flue options and they
appear to have these elbow fittings and extension tubes.

It's the location of the flue "terminal" that's governed, not the tubes
leading to it, as I read the regs. I also have a boiler in the cellar,
which exits via a 45 degree bend and through the external wall before
turning vertical again - it has an extension which takes it to about 6'
off the ground which although perhaps not strictly necessary does at
least mean it is well out of the way. I would imagine 45 degree bends
are better for gas flow, and it gets around the problem of the cellar
ceiling being too near ground level to go straight out.

You may well find that the flue piping is in fact fairly standard and
you are not constrained to what a particular manufacturer sells. A
joint clamp on the inner pipe of my flue failed and I was informed it
was a "standard 2" pipe", or something. Naturally, you cannot just buy
a standard 2" pipe clamp, so I fabricated one of my own.

--
"The moral majority is neither."