PJ

Default Cleaning flue component for combi boiler

Hi

I have a flu component in my combi boiler which I need to clean very
thoroughly. It is called a "flue elbow" by the manufacturers and this is
quite a good description I think. In this flue elbow are a couple of little
tubes which are part of the pressure sensor mechanism. The flue elbow looks a
bit like a part of an extremely large carburettor.

The problem is that this flue elbow seems to get coked up every couple of
years and this interferes with the pressure sensor. The small tubes for the
pressure sensor probably get coked up I guess. I can get a pipe cleaner down
them but I don't know of any solution that could be used to assist with
cleaning of them.

The main flu elbow itself is an aluminium casting. The smaller tubes within
it are definitely metal but it is hard to know which one, they aren't
aluminium, they could be copper, but they seem to hard for copper to me.

I'd like to know if there is a solution of some sort that could be applied to
this component to bring it up shining like new?

TIA

--
Patrick

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:07:26 +0000, PJ wrote:

[...]

Wash the component in water, blow out the tubes with air (lock for Air
duster from screwfix). Do not get water in then rubber/plastic tubes or APS.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

The Natural Philosopher

Ed Sirett wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:07:26 +0000, PJ wrote:

Hi

I have a flu component in my combi boiler

sounds like you need a doctor then.

PJ

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:09:18 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote
(in message .uk):

Wash the component in water, blow out the tubes with air (lock for Air
duster from screwfix). Do not get water in then rubber/plastic tubes or APS.

Hi

Thank you for your reply. My original post was over two weeks ago but I was
away unexpectedly which is why I now post after such a lengthy period.

The flue component is completely metal, I'm wondering if there is something
stronger than water and air pressure that I could use to decoke this?

Is there a solution of some kind that will dissolve coking?

Thank you

--
Patrick

Ed Sirett

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:05:38 +0000, PJ wrote:

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:09:18 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote
(in message .uk):

Wash the component in water, blow out the tubes with air (lock for Air
duster from screwfix). Do not get water in then rubber/plastic tubes or APS.

Hi

Thank you for your reply. My original post was over two weeks ago but I was
away unexpectedly which is why I now post after such a lengthy period.

The flue component is completely metal, I'm wondering if there is something
stronger than water and air pressure that I could use to decoke this?

Is there a solution of some kind that will dissolve coking?

If the flue is full (oreen half full) of coke/carbon/soot you have a serious problem with
the boiler and there will be much damage elsewhere as well and if fact you
had better get it fixed properly from top to bottom.

Sorry to disappoint.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 38 November 12th 03 11:10 PM
gas boiler thermocouple Stoney UK diy 56 October 20th 03 09:02 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM
Fitting a flue Jonathan Curtis UK diy 3 July 29th 03 07:03 AM