Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

Default Whats this Building made of?

Described as a Portal frame steel building

http://i5.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/d7/46/ac_1.JPG
http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/d3/9d/79_1.JPG

Is that asbestos or galvanised steel?

Thanks

apax63 'at' dsl 'dot' pipex 'dot' com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tom" wrote:
Described as a Portal frame steel building

http://i5.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/d7/46/ac_1.JPG
http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/d3/9d/79_1.JPG

Is that asbestos or galvanised steel?

Thanks

Definitely corrugated, but I can't tell what from those photos. If the doors
are corrugated asbestos they will be very heavy and prone to cracking (they
look like they are at least 10' square). So I would guess that the doors are
probably steel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

Phil Anthropist wrote:
"Tom" wrote:
Described as a Portal frame steel building

http://i5.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/d7/46/ac_1.JPG
http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/d3/9d/79_1.JPG

Is that asbestos or galvanised steel?

Thanks

Is there a prize?

Yes, if asbestos the owner gets to keep it.

I have been told it might be 'plastisol' but no one seems to know for
sure at the moment. Hopefully it's either galvanised or coated steel, it
just looks suspiciously like asbestos to me from the inside, although
the corrugated asbestos sheets I have seen elsewhere had wider corrugations.

apax63 'at' dsl 'dot' pipex 'dot' com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tom" wrote in message
Phil Anthropist wrote:
"Tom" wrote:
Described as a Portal frame steel building

http://i5.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/d7/46/ac_1.JPG
http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/d3/9d/79_1.JPG

Is that asbestos or galvanised steel?

Thanks

Is there a prize?

Yes, if asbestos the owner gets to keep it.

I have been told it might be 'plastisol' but no one seems to know for sure
at the moment. Hopefully it's either galvanised or coated steel, it just
looks suspiciously like asbestos to me from the inside, although the
corrugated asbestos sheets I have seen elsewhere had wider corrugations.

All of the corrugated aspestos I've seen is easily distinguishable from
steel because of it's rougher texture and thickness (asbestos sheets are far
thicker than galvanised steel).

Surely this is a question the owner can answer easily, or even yourself upon
inspection?

Failing that, a close-up would help of the sheets, particularly at an
edge/overlap.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Andrews wrote:

8-----
Is that asbestos or galvanised steel?

8-----

Use a magnet.

Edgar
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tom wrote:
Phil Anthropist wrote:
"Tom" wrote:

I have been told it might be 'plastisol' but no one seems to know for
sure at the moment. Hopefully it's either galvanised or coated steel,
it just looks suspiciously like asbestos to me from the inside,
although the corrugated asbestos sheets I have seen elsewhere had wider
corrugations.

Look at the fixing of the sheeting to the purlins/rails - J-bolts or
self/tapping screws

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

Owain wrote:
Tom wrote:
I have been told it might be 'plastisol' but no one seems to know for
sure at the moment. Hopefully it's either galvanised or coated steel, it
just looks suspiciously like asbestos to me from the inside, although
the corrugated asbestos sheets I have seen elsewhere had wider
corrugations.

Have you tried hitting it or sticking a magnet to it? Steel will sound
metallic; asbestos or other fibrous board dead.

Owain

I only have the pictures to go on at the moment, its for sale by a
company that are a bit disorganised and the people I have spoken to dont
seem to know, the building is in the middle of nowhere I think so they
cant just go and try a magnet on it. We are paying for it to be
delivered and dont want to find out its asbestos when it turns up,
though it probably isn't.

http://i15.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/cd/73/08_1.JPG

apax63 'at' dsl 'dot' pipex 'dot' com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Tom contains these words:

Is that asbestos or galvanised steel?

Looks like corrugated steel to me. Why not ask the vendor?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Edgar Iredale contains these words:

Use a magnet.

Bang it! If it's steel it'll go "CLANG".

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tom" wrote in message
Owain wrote:
Tom wrote:
I have been told it might be 'plastisol' but no one seems to know for
sure at the moment. Hopefully it's either galvanised or coated steel, it
just looks suspiciously like asbestos to me from the inside, although
the corrugated asbestos sheets I have seen elsewhere had wider
corrugations.

Have you tried hitting it or sticking a magnet to it? Steel will sound
metallic; asbestos or other fibrous board dead.

Owain

I only have the pictures to go on at the moment, its for sale by a company
that are a bit disorganised and the people I have spoken to dont seem to
know, the building is in the middle of nowhere I think so they cant just
go and try a magnet on it. We are paying for it to be delivered and dont
want to find out its asbestos when it turns up, though it probably isn't.

Easy. Tell them that you will buy it on condition that it is not constructed
using asbestos materials.

Paul

http://i15.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/cd/73/08_1.JPG

apax63 'at' dsl 'dot' pipex 'dot' com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 10:33:50 +0100, Tom wrote:

Described as a Portal frame steel building

http://i5.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/d7/46/ac_1.JPG
http://i12.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/d3/9d/79_1.JPG

Is that asbestos or galvanised steel?

Thanks

--

Looking at what looks like a join on the back wall I'd have said
steel. Asbestos would be too brittle to use as walls like that I

Mark S.

House Building Secrets Ebook markmcc Home Ownership 0 June 19th 05 11:34 AM
Siting a Shed - Building Regs [email protected] UK diy 14 June 6th 05 04:23 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Comments on Steel Buildings for Workshop Pops Woodworking 12 November 6th 03 03:35 PM
Lack of building permit donald girod Home Repair 12 July 7th 03 11:13 PM