Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tools for grown-ups

Anyone explain this:

When all the others:

- have no such restriction?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone explain this:

When all the others:

- have no such restriction?

===========================
Possibly because the screwdrivers could be classed as 'stabbing'
implements - i.e. knives. The recent 'Knife amnesty' was intended to take
all dangerous knives out of circulation.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

Possibly because the screwdrivers could be classed as 'stabbing'
implements - i.e. knives.

A quick glance at other screwdrivers would seem to support this
suggestion...

alternatively it is because they set contains a mains tester
screwdriver, and everyone knows they are leathal! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Anyone explain this:

When all the others:

- have no such restriction?

===========================
Possibly because the screwdrivers could be classed as 'stabbing'
implements - i.e. knives.

lots of tools in that catalog are potential murder weapons. Many far
more so than a screwdriver.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Anyone explain this:

When all the others:

- have no such restriction?

Possibly because the screwdrivers could be classed as 'stabbing'
implements - i.e. knives. The recent 'Knife amnesty' was intended to take
all dangerous knives out of circulation.

That'll be it, for sure.

I hope everyone here took their screwdrivers down to the nick to hand in?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looks like you're right, however you can have one of these:

or even just one of these:

However you can't have these:

Banning sale of screwdrivers to under 18's - I think we've lost the
plot

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "
saying something like:

Anyone explain this:

When all the others:

- have no such restriction?

Safety Weasels and / or Legal Weasels advising them of potential
liabilities. The same sort of weasel thinking that led to many charities
refusing to take old PCs for re-use.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone explain this:

When all the others:

- have no such restriction?

===========================
Possibly because the screwdrivers could be classed as 'stabbing'
implements - i.e. knives. The recent 'Knife amnesty' was intended to take
all dangerous knives out of circulation.

By far the most common murder weapon is a kitchen knife. Screwdrivers and
penknives over 2 and 3/4 inches probably figure very low in the numbers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

lots of tools in that catalog are potential murder weapons. Many far
more so than a screwdriver.

The BBC had a report today where someone on the New York subway took
powered saws of some sort to use to rob people - I think it said they
swung it at the victim too, and the police are treating it as attempted
murder...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 13:47:55 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

I've not noticed any restrictions on, for example, chainsaws. Perhaps we
ought to launch a campaign. Won't somebody think of the children?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...w-attack_x.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My daughter got asked to produce proof of age when buying a cheese
grater from Matalan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Possibly because the screwdrivers could be classed as 'stabbing'
implements - i.e. knives. The recent 'Knife amnesty' was intended to
take all dangerous knives out of circulation.

That'll be it, for sure.

I hope everyone here took their screwdrivers down to the nick to hand in?

A guy I work with - a props man - driving home after work work was
stopped and subsequently arrested, for wearing a Leatherman in his belt,
along with a torch and pack holding tape and scissors. He was held at a
local police station for 5 hours before being released with no charge.
Seems it was the locking blade on the Leatherman that caused the problem.
I and many of my colleagues also carry them too and from work - although
mine doesn't have a locking blade. Wonder if he had been white rather than
black if the outcome would have been the same?

--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grumpy owd man wrote:

My daughter got asked to produce proof of age when buying a cheese
grater from Matalan.

I am just trying to visualise the scene now... "give me your wallet, or
else I am going to give you a nasty scratch really slowly!" ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message ilgate.org
from "Grumpy owd man" contains these words:

My daughter got asked to produce proof of age when buying a cheese
grater from Matalan.

I've never actually bought anything from Matalan - they asked for my
name and address, I could see why they needed it so I declined and left.
Someone told me it had changed - so I went back but it was still the same.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from John Rumm contains these words:

My daughter got asked to produce proof of age when buying a cheese
grater from Matalan.

I am just trying to visualise the scene now... "give me your wallet, or
else I am going to give you a nasty scratch really slowly!" ;-)

Sounds like my then three year old daughter wandering round the back
garden dressed as a dalek. She dumped the whisk in favour of a cheese
grater and merrily threatened people with "EXFOLIATE".

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 22:38:38 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Seems it was the locking blade on the Leatherman that caused the problem.

Apart from the racist aspect of this, there's also the issue that the UK
knife law over "locking" knives is specifically stated as being based on
knives that lock and are released by use of a button (lever locks are a
grey area). A Leatherman, or similar tools with over-centre retention,
are clearly not locking knives under the terms of this act.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 23:00:22 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

I've never actually bought anything from Matalan - they asked for my
name and address, I could see why they needed it so I declined and left.

Usenet regulars won't be at all surprised to find that I spent a most
enjoyable half hour arguing with a Tesco manager over my right to a
refund for faulty merchandise (one of their Xmas MP3 players that didn't
last an hour) without giving my name and address. Their position was
admittedly weakened as I'd paid cash and already had their refund folded
in my wallet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 01:09:48 +0100, Paul Andrews wrote
(in article ):

My daughter got asked to produce proof of age when buying a cheese
grater from Matalan.

It's all for the grater good...

You just wanted a slicer the action..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:29:30 +0100, Andy Dingley said:

Apart from the racist aspect of this, there's also the issue that
the UK knife law over "locking" knives is specifically stated as
being based on knives that lock and are released by use of a button
(lever locks are a grey area). A Leatherman, or similar tools with
over-centre retention, are clearly not locking knives under the
terms of this act.

Some Leathermen (is that the correct plural?) have a lever lock, e.g.
the Crunch:

http://www.leatherman.com/products/t...ch/default.asp

I just hope I'm never pulled over whilst cycling, my Topeak Alien
cycle multi-tool has a similar lock. "Carrying *two* illegal weapons:
you *must* be a terrorist".

http://www.topeak.com/2006/products/tools/alien2.php

If the potential consequences weren't so serious, watching our
(allegedly) learned friends arguing about whether it's a knife with a
mole wrench/chain tool attached or the other way round could be
endless hours of (expensive) amusement. And as for my Yorkshire Billhook:

http://wylie.me.uk/Piccies/yorksbillhook.jpg

--
Alan J. Wylie http://www.wylie.me.uk/
"Perfection [in design] is achieved not when there is nothing left to add,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
Apart from the racist aspect of this, there's also the issue that the UK
knife law over "locking" knives is specifically stated as being based on
knives that lock and are released by use of a button (lever locks are a
grey area). A Leatherman, or similar tools with over-centre retention,
are clearly not locking knives under the terms of this act.

This Leatherman does have a locking button - or sort of slide thing,
really.

--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 23:00:22 +0100, Guy King wrote:

I've never actually bought anything from Matalan - they asked for my
name and address, I could see why they needed it so I declined and left.
Someone told me it had changed - so I went back but it was still the
same.

It is still the same. So why don't you want them to know that you live at
No 69 Acacia Avenue Toytown? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from John Stumbles contains these words:

Matalan
It is still the same. So why don't you want them to know that you live at
No 69 Acacia Avenue Toytown? :-)

'Cos last time they asked for proof of address!

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message ilgate.org
from "Grumpy owd man" contains these words:

My daughter got asked to produce proof of age when buying a cheese
grater from Matalan.

I've never actually bought anything from Matalan - they asked for my
name and address, I could see why they needed it so I declined and left.
Someone told me it had changed - so I went back but it was still the same.

You hadn't moved in the meantime?

Mary

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've never actually bought anything from Matalan - they asked for my
name and address, I could see why they needed it so I declined and left.

Usenet regulars won't be at all surprised to find that I spent a most
enjoyable half hour arguing with a Tesco manager over my right to a
refund for faulty merchandise (one of their Xmas MP3 players that didn't
last an hour) without giving my name and address. Their position was
admittedly weakened as I'd paid cash and already had their refund folded
in my wallet.

Oh well done! Anyone who stands up to Tesco deserves a medal.

Mind you, it would be better not to shop there in the first place.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 15:56:14 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Mind you, it would be better not to shop there in the first place.

They're open at 3am. I used to shop there a lot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mind you, it would be better not to shop there in the first place.

They're open at 3am. I used to shop there a lot.

So did I.

No more though. I know my individual protest won't make an iota of
difference but my name won't be on the supporters' list.

Mary