Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan J. Wylie Alan J. Wylie is offline

Default Tools for grown-ups

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:29:30 +0100, Andy Dingley said:

Apart from the racist aspect of this, there's also the issue that
the UK knife law over "locking" knives is specifically stated as
being based on knives that lock and are released by use of a button
(lever locks are a grey area). A Leatherman, or similar tools with
over-centre retention, are clearly not locking knives under the
terms of this act.

Some Leathermen (is that the correct plural?) have a lever lock, e.g.
the Crunch:

http://www.leatherman.com/products/t...ch/default.asp

I just hope I'm never pulled over whilst cycling, my Topeak Alien
cycle multi-tool has a similar lock. "Carrying *two* illegal weapons:
you *must* be a terrorist".

http://www.topeak.com/2006/products/tools/alien2.php

If the potential consequences weren't so serious, watching our
(allegedly) learned friends arguing about whether it's a knife with a
mole wrench/chain tool attached or the other way round could be
endless hours of (expensive) amusement. And as for my Yorkshire Billhook:

http://wylie.me.uk/Piccies/yorksbillhook.jpg

--
Alan J. Wylie http://www.wylie.me.uk/
"Perfection [in design] is achieved not when there is nothing left to add,