Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson

Default new cast iron soil pipe ?

Most people replace cast iron pipes with plastic. Advantages, less
chance of freezing etc.
When my extension is built, I will have a soil pipe boxed in in the
kitchen and wish it to be as quiet as possible, so am considering new
cast iron for at least the indoor section. Anyone fitted new cast iron
? What are the standard sizes, best places to purchase etc. ?
And will it in reality decrease house saleability, since due to
ignorance, many poeple think all old cast iron needs to be replaced
with plastic (like they do with wooden windows) ?
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

sm_jamieson wrote:
Most people replace cast iron pipes with plastic. Advantages, less
chance of freezing etc.
When my extension is built, I will have a soil pipe boxed in in the
kitchen and wish it to be as quiet as possible, so am considering new
cast iron for at least the indoor section. Anyone fitted new cast iron
? What are the standard sizes, best places to purchase etc. ?
And will it in reality decrease house saleability, since due to
ignorance, many poeple think all old cast iron needs to be replaced
with plastic (like they do with wooden windows) ?
Simon.

There are better ways to get sound reduction that cast iron. Its very
hard to work with and probably rusts faster than plastic.

I'd use plastic and then cast concrete around it. Cast iron is NOT
quiet. Another possibility is to box in with blockwork, filling the
space between with expanding foam. The foam will asborb high frequencies
and the blocks the lower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
ups.com...
Most people replace cast iron pipes with plastic. Advantages, less
chance of freezing etc.
When my extension is built, I will have a soil pipe boxed in in the
kitchen and wish it to be as quiet as possible, so am considering new
cast iron for at least the indoor section. Anyone fitted new cast iron
? What are the standard sizes, best places to purchase etc. ?
And will it in reality decrease house saleability, since due to
ignorance, many poeple think all old cast iron needs to be replaced
with plastic (like they do with wooden windows) ?
Simon.

We had a cast-iron soil pipe running through the kitchen (boxed in) for the
last 16 years and never ever noticed it apart from the ugly boxing in which
was a PIA.

One of the problems with cast iron pipes is that you can't just cut into
them to add a new inlet into the pipe. Wherever the junctions are that's
where they stay. The pipe is pretty heavy too.

We deliberately had our soil pipe moved last year outside the house just to
get rid of the internal stack (upstairs and downstairs). Can't you route the
stack outside?

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

sm_jamieson wrote:
Most people replace cast iron pipes with plastic. Advantages, less
chance of freezing etc.
When my extension is built, I will have a soil pipe boxed in in the
kitchen and wish it to be as quiet as possible, so am considering new
cast iron for at least the indoor section. Anyone fitted new cast iron
? What are the standard sizes, best places to purchase etc. ?
And will it in reality decrease house saleability, since due to
ignorance, many poeple think all old cast iron needs to be replaced
with plastic (like they do with wooden windows) ?

I really can't see why you'd want a cast iron soil pipe. Disadvantages:
very expensive, heavy, awkward to handle and fit, difficult to cut to
length, etc etc... is it just because you reckon it will be quieter than
plastic (can't comment on whether it would be or not)? That's a
non-issue if you're going to box it in, as it's perfectly possible to
get very good sound proofing that way regardless of the nature of the pipe.

See my experience at http://tinyurl.com/pwmpy (or
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_frm/thread/5449313548382693/a12bbce75715aa26?hl=en#a12bbce75715aa26

- unfortunately google's archive seems tohave lost the first part of the
thread, but hopefully you can get the gist of it.

By the way I'm sure it wouldn't affect the house value one iota -
punters look at windows but not soil pipes - but anyway - if the thing's
boxed in how will they know what it's made of!!??

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"Paul Andrews" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not a Building Control Officer ....
But I am under the impression that all 'new' buildings - post 1960-ish(?) -
had to have the soil pipe routed within the house. Certainly the new-build
house I moved into in 1965 had the stack 'internal'. Am I wrong?

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Brian Sharrock" writes:
I'm not a Building Control Officer ....
But I am under the impression that all 'new' buildings - post 1960-ish(?) -
had to have the soil pipe routed within the house. Certainly the new-build
house I moved into in 1965 had the stack 'internal'. Am I wrong?

I believe you were right (as a result of lots of cast iron soil
pipes freezing and cracking in the extra cold winter of 1962/3).
However, I don't believe it is the case any more, possibly as
a result of the switch to plastic pipes (and global warming;-).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 20:26:20 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

I'm not a Building Control Officer ....
But I am under the impression that all 'new' buildings - post 1960-ish(?) -
had to have the soil pipe routed within the house. Certainly the new-build
house I moved into in 1965 had the stack 'internal'. Am I wrong?

Yes. :-)

But you were right at one time.

Our 1976 house has an internal soil stack. But more recent houses
round here built to more recent regs went back to having external soil
stacks.

Reason? Dunno, might just as well ask why the earth reverses it's
magnetism every so-often.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

I'm not a Building Control Officer ....
But I am under the impression that all 'new' buildings - post

1960-ish(?) -
had to have the soil pipe routed within the house. Certainly the new-build
house I moved into in 1965 had the stack 'internal'. Am I wrong?

I'm not sure when our house was built - probably the 60's. It's a three
bedroom semi. Attached to us is a 4 bedroom semi. All along the road the 4
bedroom semis have the stack outside and the 3 bedroom semis have them
inside..

It's not a huge house and removing the stack has made a big difference in
the bathroom (where the stack was boxed in) and it'll make a big difference
in the kitchen when it's refitted (currently we have the stack but it's no
longer used). In the kitchen in particular, it really messes up the layout
of the units.

Paul

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Brian Sharrock" writes:
I'm not a Building Control Officer ....
But I am under the impression that all 'new' buildings - post
1960-ish(?) -
had to have the soil pipe routed within the house. Certainly the
new-build
house I moved into in 1965 had the stack 'internal'. Am I wrong?

I believe you were right (as a result of lots of cast iron soil
pipes freezing and cracking in the extra cold winter of 1962/3).
However, I don't believe it is the case any more, possibly as
a result of the switch to plastic pipes (and global warming;-).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Well, Thanks to everyone, (Andrew, B Thumbs, Derek and Paul) for answering
my question. So, it was right, then wrong, now it's right again .... . I do
recall that at the time of the 'sixties, the accepted 'expertise' was that
the planet was facing an imminent ice-age; the winter of 61/62 seemed to
reinforce that view. How things change!

--

Brian