Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews

Default new cast iron soil pipe ?

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
ups.com...
Most people replace cast iron pipes with plastic. Advantages, less
chance of freezing etc.
When my extension is built, I will have a soil pipe boxed in in the
kitchen and wish it to be as quiet as possible, so am considering new
cast iron for at least the indoor section. Anyone fitted new cast iron
? What are the standard sizes, best places to purchase etc. ?
And will it in reality decrease house saleability, since due to
ignorance, many poeple think all old cast iron needs to be replaced
with plastic (like they do with wooden windows) ?
Simon.

We had a cast-iron soil pipe running through the kitchen (boxed in) for the
last 16 years and never ever noticed it apart from the ugly boxing in which
was a PIA.

One of the problems with cast iron pipes is that you can't just cut into
them to add a new inlet into the pipe. Wherever the junctions are that's
where they stay. The pipe is pretty heavy too.

We deliberately had our soil pipe moved last year outside the house just to
get rid of the internal stack (upstairs and downstairs). Can't you route the
stack outside?

Paul