Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default House improvements?

Hi everyone

I have a semi detached house and want to increase its value before
selling. I thought of some great ideas - anyone have any more?

1. Convert the house into a detached. I've already got the angle
grinder.

2. Fit a jacuzzi in the bedroom. As there isnt room for a separate
bathroom, I thought if I put it under the bed, you can move the bed to
one side and voila, just drop in! Clever huh. It'll reduce head height
downstairs a bit, but not enought to cause any problems.

3. I was chatting to Mr Nseowo the other week, and he reckons
extensions are pretty cheap to do. Warned me about trouble from the
council tho, so I'm not sure bout that one.

4. I plan to build an African style mud hut in the back garden too,
garden shed is always useful.

5. Remove the supporting wall and have a nice big walkthru lounge and
kitchen, will look great.

6. Take out all that stupid woodwork in the loft, half inch chip down
then can use it for accomodation.

Any more smart ideas? I admit mine arent all original...

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Herber

On 24 Jun 2006 15:48:50 -0700, wrote:

Hi everyone

Hi Dr Nick!
Time for some fun!

I have a semi detached house and want to increase its value before
selling. I thought of some great ideas - anyone have any more?

1. Convert the house into a detached. I've already got the angle
grinder.

Becoming detached is a political as well as a physical process. You
will require a Unilateral Declaration of Detachment form available
from your local council.
P.S. You will need brick acid as well as the angle grinder.

2. Fit a jacuzzi in the bedroom. As there isnt room for a separate
bathroom, I thought if I put it under the bed, you can move the bed to
one side and voila, just drop in! Clever huh. It'll reduce head height
downstairs a bit, but not enought to cause any problems.

Jacuzzi on a string - available from all good sheds - Oxymorons 'R' Us
have a reasonable supply on weekdays. Hang from the ceiling of any
room, just pull the string and down it comes. Push the string to send
it back up to the ceiling - Easy for the whole family - terms and
conditions may apply! Not available in Dagenham, Belgium or Leamington
Spa.

3. I was chatting to Mr Nseowo the other week, and he reckons
extensions are pretty cheap to do. Warned me about trouble from the
council tho, so I'm not sure bout that one.

Mr Nseowo and Dribble exchange information during their tea breaks -
use his advice at you peril!

4. I plan to build an African style mud hut in the back garden too,
garden shed is always useful.

African mud huts are just so 2005. 18th century Icelandic turf roofed
'cottages' are the 'to die for' for this year. P.S. pastel shades
don't work on mud walls and ceilings.

5. Remove the supporting wall and have a nice big walkthru lounge

OMG! Don't do it! Your social world will collapse around your ears.
Don't call it a lounge! My friends in Islington are calling it a
parlour this year. Green. 3 different shades. Lime green carpets will
be the BIG thing next year!

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
http://www.pherber.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Guy King wrote:
The message
.com from
contains these words:

2. Fit a jacuzzi in the bedroom. As there isnt room for a
separate bathroom, I thought if I put it under the bed, you can
move the bed to one side and voila, just drop in! Clever huh.
It'll reduce head height downstairs a bit, but not enought to
cause any problems.

Not as funny as you think. I had a great uncle who'd seen a
sunken bath at the flicks and made one in his house. This was in
1920s Kent and family legend claims you could see the ball & claw
feet hanging through the kitchen ceiling, along with the plumbing.

Our first family home had a sunken bath in a ground floor bathroom. Upon
examining it closely, a cavity had been dug into the foundations and an
ordinary plastic bathtub dropped in. The drain outlet was attached with
jubilee clips to 6ft of hosepipe leading to a sewer pipe which had been
uncovered beneath it. The hosepipe had been connected to the clay sewer
pipe by smashing a 2" hole into it with a chisel, and then cementing the end
of the hose in the hole.

New to DIY at the time, I now cringe when I remember fixing this.....

- I did a reasonable bodge-job on the sewer pipe - exposed the hole, cleaned
the pipe and repaired it smoothly with several layers of self-adhesive
flashing tape, overpainted with several layers of heavy bitumen, before
covering the whole area with a bucketful of waterproofed cement.

- But I exceeded myself in filling the bathtub-sized hole - I vaguely knew
about mixing cement from watching the telly, but I didn't know about
aggregate. So, I filled the whole thing with hand-mixed 6:1 mortar.
And yes, it took a while.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:33:29 +0100, Owain

Hugo Nebula wrote:
I have a semi detached house and want to increase its value before
selling. I thought of some great ideas - anyone have any more?
Create a basement; just start digging below your original foundations.

Ah, the most value increasing idea of all

If your next door neighbour is deaf you could dig under her half as
well. That would solve any problems with one half of the semi sinking
more than the other.

You could also tap into her pipes and wiring giving you free heat and light.

Why not turn you newly created basement into an underground carpark?
This would give you a steady income and pay for the treatment ;-)

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister

Owain wrote:

Much better would be a small combination lift / shower room. This would
save the extra cost of a downstairs cloakroom. Wake up, get into lift,
close door. Have morning ****, lift going down open door, walk into
kitchen, put on coffee, walk back into lift, close door, have shower,
lift going up open door, walk into bedroom, get dressed, walk back
into lift, close door, shave lift going down open door, walk into
kitchen, grab coffee, leave for work.

Not just a fantastic time and space saver but great for the evironment
too as the lift counterbalance can be recycled grey water. Use the space
at the bottom of the lift shaft in the basement for a high flow combi
boiler.

A win, win, win situation.

Sheer brilliance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Peter Lynch wrote:
Think of all that wasted space where the stairs are. Whip them out
and put in a ladder. You could then cover the stairwell with a sheet
or two of ply (12mm should do) and put another bedroom over the top.

Much better would be a small combination lift / shower room. This would
save the extra cost of a downstairs cloakroom. Wake up, get into lift,
close door. Have morning ****, lift going down open door, walk into
kitchen, put on coffee, walk back into lift, close door, have shower,
lift going up open door, walk into bedroom, get dressed, walk back
into lift, close door, shave lift going down open door, walk into
kitchen, grab coffee, leave for work.

Not just a fantastic time and space saver but great for the evironment
too as the lift counterbalance can be recycled grey water. Use the space
at the bottom of the lift shaft in the basement for a high flow combi
boiler.

A win, win, win situation.

Owain

lol, genius