Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Default House improvements?

Guy King wrote:
The message
.com from
contains these words:

2. Fit a jacuzzi in the bedroom. As there isnt room for a
separate bathroom, I thought if I put it under the bed, you can
move the bed to one side and voila, just drop in! Clever huh.
It'll reduce head height downstairs a bit, but not enought to
cause any problems.

Not as funny as you think. I had a great uncle who'd seen a
sunken bath at the flicks and made one in his house. This was in
1920s Kent and family legend claims you could see the ball & claw
feet hanging through the kitchen ceiling, along with the plumbing.

Our first family home had a sunken bath in a ground floor bathroom. Upon
examining it closely, a cavity had been dug into the foundations and an
ordinary plastic bathtub dropped in. The drain outlet was attached with
jubilee clips to 6ft of hosepipe leading to a sewer pipe which had been
uncovered beneath it. The hosepipe had been connected to the clay sewer
pipe by smashing a 2" hole into it with a chisel, and then cementing the end
of the hose in the hole.

New to DIY at the time, I now cringe when I remember fixing this.....

- I did a reasonable bodge-job on the sewer pipe - exposed the hole, cleaned
the pipe and repaired it smoothly with several layers of self-adhesive
flashing tape, overpainted with several layers of heavy bitumen, before
covering the whole area with a bucketful of waterproofed cement.

- But I exceeded myself in filling the bathtub-sized hole - I vaguely knew
about mixing cement from watching the telly, but I didn't know about
aggregate. So, I filled the whole thing with hand-mixed 6:1 mortar.
And yes, it took a while.