Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian & Hilda Dedic

Default slug problem in kitchen

Hi guys

I have a slug problem in the house, any ideas as to what the best
course of action is?

I've salted and removed the ones I can find, but can't see where they're
coming in from or what they're eating, I just see the trails left.

by the numbers I'm finding I guess the little blighters are breeding, so
there will be eggs somewhere.

Does this mean I've got somewhere damp where they hide?

any suggestions (serious please! )

You are usually very kind and helpful here.

dedics

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0625-1, 19/06/2006
Tested on: 19/06/2006 23:42:05

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
Hi guys

I think there are some grils somewhere here, too...

Does this mean I've got somewhere damp where they hide?

Either that, or they're coming in direct from outside...

any suggestions (serious please! )

What is your kitchen floor made of? What sort of house (age,
construction) do you live in?

You are usually very kind and helpful here.

Oh! *Thank you*, dedics! You're so kind!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
Hi guys

I have a slug problem in the house, any ideas as to what the best
course of action is?

put up a sign saying 'no slugs'?

I've salted and removed the ones I can find, but can't see where
they're coming in from or what they're eating, I just see the trails
left.

Oh yeah, they'll do that.

by the numbers I'm finding I guess the little blighters are breeding,
so there will be eggs somewhere.

probably outside, it's unlikely they would lay eggs indoors....they are
using your house as a cefeteria.

Does this mean I've got somewhere damp where they hide?

possible though not likely, they usually come under the door, through cracks
or any tiny holes, and they don't need moisture to travel.

any suggestions (serious please! )

You are usually very kind and helpful here.

Fill in any small gaps with silicon sealant, put down slug pellets
(available from B&Q) and follow the trails of slime to find out their way
in, what they are seeking (obviously food, but don't imagine that they only
eat lettuce - the ones around here are partial to meat too) and remove it,
check under the sink or behind cupboards for a leaking pipe, any signs of
moisture will make life easier for them...

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
Hi guys

I have a slug problem in the house, any ideas as to what the best
course of action is?

I've salted and removed the ones I can find, but can't see where
they're coming in from or what they're eating, I just see the trails
left.

by the numbers I'm finding I guess the little blighters are breeding,
so there will be eggs somewhere.

Does this mean I've got somewhere damp where they hide?

any suggestions (serious please! )

You are usually very kind and helpful here.

dedics

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0625-1, 19/06/2006
Tested on: 19/06/2006 23:42:05

Well they do come from outside thats a start.

The concrete floor area by the kitchen door in my house was where my slugs
where coming from.
On further inspection there was a flaw in the concrete which had cracked
and a small hole was revealed when I took of the skirting board at the back
of the door and the blighters where coming in through the outside
underneath the door sill.

Not saying this is where yours are coming from,but check your door frame
for rot around the bottom half? or possible they might be getting in behind
the sink area or through a air brick if you have one? also check the
perimeters of the brickwork/skirting/floor for tell tale signs.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Well they do come from outside thats a start.

The concrete floor area by the kitchen door in my house was where my
slugs where coming from.
On further inspection there was a flaw in the concrete which had
cracked and a small hole was revealed when I took of the skirting
board at the back of the door and the blighters where coming in
through the outside underneath the door sill.

Not saying this is where yours are coming from,but check your door
frame for rot around the bottom half? or possible they might be
getting in behind the sink area or through a air brick if you have
one? also check the perimeters of the brickwork/skirting/floor for
tell tale signs.

Damn forgot to add put salt down around the door area first for a couple of
nights and see if they still appear,if they do then you can eliminate the
door area as they wont dare cross the salt and then try another area some
where they are more frequently found.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian & Hilda Dedic

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
[...]

Thank you guys (and gals!)

IT is a concrete tiled floor in the kitchen, built about 25 years ago
(house is 1930s era), I'll check under the cabinet plinths today (ewwwww
wonder what else I'll find!)

There were some very useful suggestions in amongst your replies.

dedics (who is a gal herself,which is probably why I find slugs so yucky)

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0625-1, 19/06/2006
Tested on: 20/06/2006 07:38:38

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You could try the vacuum cleaner on blow to push quite a bit of salt
under the skirting board all round the room. Slug traps outside (I
undertsand pellets are very toxic to pets and wildlife), and general
dryness across land around your house (well drained paths, close
cropped lawns and vegetation), wet, unkept gardens are going to be
slug-central.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
Hi guys

I have a slug problem in the house, any ideas as to what the best
course of action is?

I've salted and removed the ones I can find, but can't see where they're
coming in from or what they're eating, I just see the trails left.

by the numbers I'm finding I guess the little blighters are breeding, so
there will be eggs somewhere.

Does this mean I've got somewhere damp where they hide?

any suggestions (serious please! )

You are usually very kind and helpful here.

dedics

We get one every so often and I'm sure that it comes in attached to the
long hair of our cat. Just another source of them.

Salt is our solution.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bill

"Ian & Hilda Dedic" wrote in message
Hi guys

I have a slug problem in the house, any ideas as to what the best
course of action is?

I've salted and removed the ones I can find, but can't see where they're
coming in from or what they're eating, I just see the trails left.

by the numbers I'm finding I guess the little blighters are breeding, so
there will be eggs somewhere.

Does this mean I've got somewhere damp where they hide?

any suggestions (serious please! )

You are usually very kind and helpful here.

dedics

We had problems with them as well. Never found where they were coming in but
recently had cavity wall insulation done and - no more slugs

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harris

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
Hi guys

I have a slug problem in the house, any ideas as to what the best
course of action is?

bit extreme, but slugs hate copper, I use copper tape around my
vegetables, and haven't had one slug yet this year.
http://www.pestfree.co.uk/slug-tape-pk1.htm

of course it depends if you want copper tape around your back door, but
you could put it around the inside of the door frame so it is only
visible when the door is open?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

bill wrote:
We had problems with them as well. Never found where they were coming in but
recently had cavity wall insulation done and - no more slugs

They're massing in the cavity, preparing for a slithery
all-out final attack!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic 写�:

hello, friend

You''d better keep the kitchen clean and ventilate everyday,
while you perish these siugs with envirmental medicament.

hope you have find some better and available ways.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Ian & Hilda Dedic" wrote in message
Hi guys

I have a slug problem in the house, any ideas as to what the best
course of action is?

I've salted and removed the ones I can find, but can't see where they're
coming in from or what they're eating, I just see the trails left.

by the numbers I'm finding I guess the little blighters are breeding, so
there will be eggs somewhere.

Does this mean I've got somewhere damp where they hide?

any suggestions (serious please! )

They've been known to come through waste pipes, even trough the U bend.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof

In message , Ian & Hilda Dedic
writes
Hi guys

I have a slug problem in the house, any ideas as to what the best
course of action is?

I've salted and removed the ones I can find, but can't see where
they're coming in from or what they're eating, I just see the trails
left.

by the numbers I'm finding I guess the little blighters are breeding,
so there will be eggs somewhere.

We seem to have cured what was a serious kitchen and washroom slug
problem by sealing all the entrances we could think of, this included
door frames to walls, brush strip to the door, pipe holes through the
walls, cracks between the floor slab and the wall, miscellaneous disused
holes, this is between the kitchen and the washroom and the kitchen and
the outside. I think this was a couple of years back, and we've been
slug free since then . . . until a couple of weeks back when some baby
slugs were spotted coming out of the butler sink overflow, that has been
filled with salt since then and no more spotted. They seem to come out
about 2300 to 2400 if you want to stay and see where they're coming
from. Good luck.

--
Due to the very painful lack of quoting Google promotes, all Usenet
posts originating from Google users are now deleted unseen, this means
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof

In message , Phil L
writes

probably outside, it's unlikely they would lay eggs indoors....they are
using your house as a cefeteria.

They definitely laid eggs indoors here, as well as using it as a
cafeteria, the cat food seemed popular.

--
Due to the very painful lack of quoting Google promotes, all Usenet
posts originating from Google users are now deleted unseen, this means
if you post from Google I won't see it. N.B. the preceding sig is
copyright free, feel free to copy it. == bof at bof dot me dot uk ==

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian & Hilda Dedic

bof wrote:
[...]

Yes, this is when spotted ours,I'll look again tonight, I do keep the
kitchen reasonably clean, and the copper tape sounds like something to
try too.

thanks everyone.

dedics

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0625-2, 20/06/2006
Tested on: 20/06/2006 18:15:42

Posted to uk.d-i-y
marvelus

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:25:15 +0100, bof
wrote:

In message , Phil L
writes

probably outside, it's unlikely they would lay eggs indoors....they are
using your house as a cefeteria.

They definitely laid eggs indoors here, as well as using it as a
cafeteria

and as a love shack. Nausiating to see them writhing in the middle of
the floor, worse if you tread on them with bare feet. And that
stagnant water smell that their slime gives off is a give away you
have got them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

marvelus wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 16:25:15 +0100, bof
wrote:

In message , Phil L
writes

probably outside, it's unlikely they would lay eggs indoors....they are
using your house as a cefeteria.

They definitely laid eggs indoors here, as well as using it as a
cafeteria

and as a love shack. Nausiating to see them writhing in the middle of
the floor, worse if you tread on them with bare feet. And that
stagnant water smell that their slime gives off is a give away you
have got them.

Yes we had a problem (still do sometimes) and once found just such a
love shack (loads of the buggers at it) under the washing machine which
had a very slow leak somewhere, just enough to keep the floor beneath it
slightly damp. Nice.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from marvelus contains these words:

and as a love shack. Nausiating to see them writhing in the middle of
the floor, worse if you tread on them with bare feet. And that
stagnant water smell that their slime gives off is a give away you
have got them.

Bare feet's yukky, but finding that the kitten's too incompetant to
catch anything other than slugs and has lined a row up on the doorstep
for you is not best done with socks on. Slug puree between the toes
revolts.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul S

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
Hi guys

I have a slug problem in the house, any ideas as to what the best
course of action is?

I've salted and removed the ones I can find, but can't see where they're
coming in from or what they're eating, I just see the trails left.

by the numbers I'm finding I guess the little blighters are breeding, so
there will be eggs somewhere.

Does this mean I've got somewhere damp where they hide?

any suggestions (serious please! )

You are usually very kind and helpful here.

dedics

I have the same 'problem'. Mine usually appear in the dead of night, so
I only see them at 2am on a Saturday morning.

My solution? Just leave them. They're gone by the morning

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Guy King" wrote in message

Bare feet's yukky, but finding that the kitten's too incompetant to
catch anything other than slugs and has lined a row up on the doorstep
for you is not best done with socks on. Slug puree between the toes
revolts.

Well, not many things revolt me but when I feel a tickle on the upper part
of my foot and see that it's a slug it makes me shuder and react like Bogart
did to leeches in The African Queen.

Mary