Posted to uk.d-i-y
Redeye

Default Electrics for kitchen extractor fan

I need to install an extractor fan in my kitchen to improve the current
non-existent ventilation (the windows are painted shut!). Rather than
go to the hassle and expense of putting a hole through the wall
(they're 2 feet thick) I'm thinking of mounting the fan in one of
the single glazed windows which are sealed shut. My question is one of
electrics. Can I wire this to a mains plug and use one of the sockets
in the kitchen rather than hard-wire it, and would this get around Part
P? The other attraction of this solution is that I could re-use the
fan when we have enough money to do the kitchen properly and put a hole
in the wall for the fan.

Thoughts/suggestions welcome...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On 19 Jun 2006 05:11:14 -0700 someone who may be "Redeye"
wrote this:-

I'm thinking of mounting the fan in one of
the single glazed windows which are sealed shut. My question is one of
electrics. Can I wire this to a mains plug and use one of the sockets
in the kitchen rather than hard-wire it,

It might get some air sucked through the teeth by some. However, if
it is done thoroughly then it could be called a temporary bit of
work until the kitchen is refurbished fully. Stage 1 of the kitchen
refurbishment plan.

and would this get around Part P?

Probably. It is only of passing interest here, so I have not looked
into it too closely.

The other attraction of this solution is that I could re-use the
fan when we have enough money to do the kitchen properly and put a hole
in the wall for the fan.

How it is wired up makes no difference to whether the fan can be
re-used.

Make sure that the fan can be converted into a ducted one before
buying it. You might even want to get some of the bits in case they
stop being made.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh

"Redeye" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to install an extractor fan in my kitchen to improve the current
non-existent ventilation (the windows are painted shut!). Rather than
go to the hassle and expense of putting a hole through the wall
(they're 2 feet thick) I'm thinking of mounting the fan in one of
the single glazed windows which are sealed shut. My question is one of
electrics. Can I wire this to a mains plug and use one of the sockets
in the kitchen rather than hard-wire it, and would this get around Part
P? The other attraction of this solution is that I could re-use the
fan when we have enough money to do the kitchen properly and put a hole
in the wall for the fan.

Thoughts/suggestions welcome...

I had an Xpelair fan fitted this way in a window from 1993 for over a
decade. Worked great at getting the humid air and smells out - better than
the pukka extractor hood now fitted, in fact.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"Redeye" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to install an extractor fan in my kitchen to improve the current
non-existent ventilation (the windows are painted shut!). Rather than
go to the hassle and expense of putting a hole through the wall
(they're 2 feet thick) I'm thinking of mounting the fan in one of
the single glazed windows which are sealed shut. My question is one of
electrics. Can I wire this to a mains plug and use one of the sockets
in the kitchen rather than hard-wire it, and would this get around Part
P? The other attraction of this solution is that I could re-use the
fan when we have enough money to do the kitchen properly and put a hole
in the wall for the fan.

Thoughts/suggestions welcome...

I cant see this being a problem at all, most hob extractors come with a
fitted 13A plug on them, and are usually plugged into a socket behind the
cowling.

Make sure you use flex (Multi stranded cable) rather than T&E though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Redeye wrote:
I need to install an extractor fan in my kitchen to improve the current
non-existent ventilation (the windows are painted shut!). Rather than
go to the hassle and expense of putting a hole through the wall
(they're 2 feet thick)

Less hassle than making a hole in galls I'd say.

Core drill, or series of holes and cold chisel..

Strange boat electrics pen UK diy 16 April 9th 06 05:33 PM
Discovery trailer electrics, disaster. Blair Malcolm UK diy 13 December 17th 04 03:17 PM
kitchen appliances - electrics advice Pete UK diy 1 July 30th 04 06:16 PM
Workshop Electrics - Good Reference? pmakesp UK diy 14 June 23rd 04 01:02 PM
Chicago Electrics Rotary Hammer Drill Review Barry Criner Metalworking 0 September 21st 03 02:20 PM