Posted to uk.d-i-y
pen

Default Strange boat electrics

We've acquired a secondhand cabin cruiser, about 12 years old, which
has rather weird electrics. Although the supply is 220-240v, the
actual sockets are american ones! So far we've made do with the
adaptors sold at airports, and nothing particularly heavy duty gets
plugged in apart from the kettle and my hairdryer (!), but I do have a
niggling worry that the sockets themselves may not be really up to
having european electricity passed through them. The previous owners
are both alive and kicking and obviously didn't manage to fry
themselves, but still.....

Pen

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay

"pen" wrote in message
oups.com...
We've acquired a secondhand cabin cruiser, about 12 years old, which
has rather weird electrics. Although the supply is 220-240v, the
actual sockets are american ones! So far we've made do with the
adaptors sold at airports, and nothing particularly heavy duty gets
plugged in apart from the kettle and my hairdryer (!), but I do have a
niggling worry that the sockets themselves may not be really up to
having european electricity passed through them. The previous owners
are both alive and kicking and obviously didn't manage to fry
themselves, but still.....

See if the sockets have a rating stamped on them- usually on the back.

Seem an usual arrangement- where did they get all the sockets from and why?
Are you sure that the sockets aren't the similar looking 12V socket system
used in caravans. If so, then I would worry!

--
73
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nigel Molesworth

On 7 Apr 2006 00:28:13 -0700, pen wrote:

Although the supply is 220-240v, the actual sockets are american ones!

When you say "supply" you mean shore power, yes? So it's an American
boat plugged into the European mains. Assuming the appliances are all
230V, then it's not a problem. The yacht next to mine* in Greece has
exactly this arrangement, but the owner has fitted American plugs.

nothing particularly heavy duty gets
plugged in apart from the kettle and my hairdryer (!),

Hmmm! If it can cope with a kettle (don't you have gas?) and a
hairdryer, it can cope with anything.

* My yacht in Greece http://www.aquariusyachting.co.uk/

--
Nigel M
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pen wrote:

We've acquired a secondhand cabin cruiser, about 12 years old, which
has rather weird electrics. Although the supply is 220-240v, the
actual sockets are american ones! So far we've made do with the
adaptors sold at airports, and nothing particularly heavy duty gets
plugged in apart from the kettle and my hairdryer (!), but I do have a
niggling worry that the sockets themselves may not be really up to
having european electricity passed through them. The previous owners
are both alive and kicking and obviously didn't manage to fry
themselves, but still.....

Pen

American mains electrics are of lower standard than our stuff, though
quite serviceable. Plugs are rated 10A continuous IIRC. A kettle would
be ok since its only on for 3 mins. US plugs can occasionally sit half
in half out, running hot is just accepted etc... not ideal but it
works. (so I'm told anyway)

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Glenn Booth

Hi,

wrote in message
oups.com...

American mains electrics are of lower standard than our stuff, though
quite serviceable. Plugs are rated 10A continuous IIRC.

So at 110v, 10A, does that mean our 'merkin cousins can only draw
1.1 kW from a wall socket? Seems a bit stingey, considering how
much of the world's energy they manage to consume.

Regards,

Glenn.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

"Glenn Booth" wrote in message
Hi,

wrote in message
oups.com...

American mains electrics are of lower standard than our stuff, though
quite serviceable. Plugs are rated 10A continuous IIRC.

So at 110v, 10A, does that mean our 'merkin cousins can only draw
1.1 kW from a wall socket? Seems a bit stingey, considering how
much of the world's energy they manage to consume.

While watching US sourced TV programmes ... ; notice how many times the
actors 'make a cup of tea' using a kettle off a hob! You never (well almost
never) see them use an electric kettle. US 'lectrickery supplies 220V off a
pole to each house where it's transformer centre-tapped to two antiphase
110-0-110 (AC) circuits. For something like a table-saw and/or cooker
(including microwaves) they utilise ,what they call two-phase, 220V.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 10:33:09 +0100, "Glenn Booth"
wrote:

So at 110v, 10A, does that mean our 'merkin cousins can only draw
1.1 kW from a wall socket?

This 1 and a mumble kW limit is why you can't get a proper cup of tea in
the whole country,

They also have many sorts of wall socket because all too many things
need more power. So the chances are that you simply can't use the MIG
welder in the bedroom, as is so easily done on the UK system. No wonder
they're falling technically behind so rapidly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry

On 7 Apr 2006 00:28:13 -0700, "pen" wrote:

We've acquired a secondhand cabin cruiser, about 12 years old, which
has rather weird electrics. Although the supply is 220-240v, the
actual sockets are american ones!

Are you sure they are American and not Shuko or one of the other 23
variations on a plug and socket favoured by European countries?
Where did the boat come from?

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:
On 7 Apr 2006 00:28:13 -0700, "pen" wrote:

We've acquired a secondhand cabin cruiser, about 12 years old, which
has rather weird electrics. Although the supply is 220-240v, the
actual sockets are american ones!

Are you sure they are American and not Shuko or one of the other 23
variations on a plug and socket favoured by European countries?
Where did the boat come from?

Presumably he knows because of the type of adapters he had to buy.
Seemed simple enough to me.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
pen

Are you sure they are American and not Shuko or one of the other 23
variations on a plug and socket favoured by European countries?
Where did the boat come from?

They look like standard US sockets as observed by me on various trips
over the pond. Can't be sure, I suppose.

The boat is a tarquin trader which was bought new in GB by the previous
owners. I think I have been told that traders are made in Taiwan and
then have a final fitting out in the country of purchase.

Pen

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry

On 8 Apr 2006 08:13:25 -0700, "pen" wrote:

They look like standard US sockets as observed by me on various trips
over the pond. Can't be sure, I suppose.

You can find a "spot the plug" guide at
http://users.pandora.be/worldstandar...city.htm#plugs

If you can get visibility of the supply cabling you may also be able
to find the voltage rating printed at intervals along its length.

American sockets are quite safe at 220V (or at least as safe as their
construction inherently allows - its easy to get your finger across
the pins while plugging then in/out).

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Peter Parry writes:

American sockets are quite safe at 220V (or at least as safe as their
construction inherently allows - its easy to get your finger across
the pins while plugging then in/out).

BT looked into getting type approval for US mains plugs.
The maxmimum rating they would be permitted in the EU was
50V 2.5A.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:47:25 +0100 someone who may be Peter Parry
wrote this:-

http://users.pandora.be/worldstandar...city.htm#plugs

This site has a number of things to commend it.

However, it spoils it with the following assertion, "The reason why
we are now stuck with no less than 13 different styles of plugs and
wall outlets, is because many countries preferred to develop a plug
of their own, instead of adopting the US standard."

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

wrote this:-

http://users.pandora.be/worldstandar...city.htm#plugs

This site has a number of things to commend it.

However, it spoils it with the following assertion, "The reason why
we are now stuck with no less than 13 different styles of plugs and
wall outlets, is because many countries preferred to develop a plug
of their own, instead of adopting the US standard."

It's also spoiled with inaccuracies.

I spotted a few:

- The Schuko plug does become polarised if used in a France/Belgium
socket with projecting pin

- The Danish socket illustrated normally has a round earth pin
nowadays

- The Swiss one normally does not have the shroud around the socket
since this prevents Schuko plugs from being plugged into it.

- The Israeli ones that I've seen have a rounded and not a flat earth
pin.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y