Posted to uk.d-i-y
Redeye

Default Electrics for kitchen extractor fan

I need to install an extractor fan in my kitchen to improve the current
non-existent ventilation (the windows are painted shut!). Rather than
go to the hassle and expense of putting a hole through the wall
(they're 2 feet thick) I'm thinking of mounting the fan in one of
the single glazed windows which are sealed shut. My question is one of
electrics. Can I wire this to a mains plug and use one of the sockets
in the kitchen rather than hard-wire it, and would this get around Part
P? The other attraction of this solution is that I could re-use the
fan when we have enough money to do the kitchen properly and put a hole
in the wall for the fan.

Thoughts/suggestions welcome...