Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Electrics for kitchen extractor fan

On 19 Jun 2006 05:11:14 -0700 someone who may be "Redeye"
wrote this:-

I'm thinking of mounting the fan in one of
the single glazed windows which are sealed shut. My question is one of
electrics. Can I wire this to a mains plug and use one of the sockets
in the kitchen rather than hard-wire it,

It might get some air sucked through the teeth by some. However, if
it is done thoroughly then it could be called a temporary bit of
work until the kitchen is refurbished fully. Stage 1 of the kitchen
refurbishment plan.

and would this get around Part P?

Probably. It is only of passing interest here, so I have not looked
into it too closely.

The other attraction of this solution is that I could re-use the
fan when we have enough money to do the kitchen properly and put a hole
in the wall for the fan.

How it is wired up makes no difference to whether the fan can be
re-used.

Make sure that the fan can be converted into a ducted one before
buying it. You might even want to get some of the bits in case they
stop being made.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh