Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default FreeView

These TVs with integrated Freeview. Will they receive Freeview when on
cable? I have never looked into this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Phillips

Doctor Drivel wrote:
These TVs with integrated Freeview. Will they receive Freeview when
on cable? I have never looked into this.

Not sure but I'd avoid them anyway.

The upgrade cycle for a STB is (currently) far shorter than a TV, in a few
years time you'd have a relatively new TV with an obsolete "STB".

I've owned both and speak from experience!

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Doctor Drivel wrote:
These TVs with integrated Freeview. Will they receive Freeview when on
cable? I have never looked into this.

You doughnut. Try somewhere appropriate. Take your chav query off
onto uk.media.tv.cable, or free.uk.tv.bigbrother or somewhere.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ABC

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...
These TVs with integrated Freeview. Will they receive Freeview when on
cable? I have never looked into this.

If your TV's RF socket is plugged into the cable box, then you will not get
Freeview. Only connecting the TV to an TV aerial will you get the Freeview
digital signals.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RedOnRed

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...
These TVs with integrated Freeview. Will they receive Freeview when on
cable? I have never looked into this.

We get all our TV fed through cable here in Milton Keynes and you have to
get an aerial put on the roof to get the Freeview channels. Which hardly
seems worth the expense and effort to me.

I get all the Freeview channels through my Sky+ connection.

You can easily tell round here who's getting Freeview as they're the ones
with an aerial, oh, and are normally over 50 and have some contrived
political reason for not paying for Sky...when the truth is they're just too
tight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

These TVs with integrated Freeview. Will they receive Freeview when on
cable? I have never looked into this.

I might check next time I'm over my mother's house. She has NTL and
certainly used to get analogue terrestrial baseband down the cable. No idea
if they are now transmitting digital terrestrial signals as well, or have
reallocated the bandwidth to digital cable or something.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Christian McArdle wrote:

I might check next time I'm over my mother's house. She has NTL and
certainly used to get analogue terrestrial baseband down the cable. No idea
if they are now transmitting digital terrestrial signals as well, or have
reallocated the bandwidth to digital cable or something.

It will be re-multiplexed and modulated according to the DVB-C standard,
which is quite different from DVB-T. AIUI "Freeview" only refers to the
DVB-T (DTT) platform.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Dave wrote:
Who's this self-appointed diy group moderator CRISP BACON

Not you again! Still miffed, eh? My heart bleeds. Grow up. Please
keep your nose out of a lovely exchange I expect to have with the
eminent Dr. Drivel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

It will be re-multiplexed and modulated according to the DVB-C standard,
which is quite different from DVB-T. AIUI "Freeview" only refers to the
DVB-T (DTT) platform.

Obviously it won't pick up the cable digital signal. However, the NTL
system, at least where we were, also rebroadcast analogue terrestrial signal
on the standard UHF frequency. There is no reason that they couldn't do the
same with the DVB-T signal. Whether they do or not is another matter. I
wouldn't be surprised if they had dropped the baseband analogue signal yonks
ago, let alone failed to rebroadcast the new digital multiplexes when they
came online.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alex

RedOnRed wrote:
We get all our TV fed through cable here in Milton Keynes and you have to
get an aerial put on the roof to get the Freeview channels. Which hardly
seems worth the expense and effort to me.

I get all the Freeview channels through my Sky+ connection.

You can easily tell round here who's getting Freeview as they're the ones
with an aerial, oh, and are normally over 50 and have some contrived
political reason for not paying for Sky...when the truth is they're just too
tight.

Or rather it's a load of trash not worth paying for? And why would you
want to have Sky *and* cable?

Alex

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RedOnRed

"Alex" wrote in message
RedOnRed wrote:
We get all our TV fed through cable here in Milton Keynes and you have to
get an aerial put on the roof to get the Freeview channels. Which hardly
seems worth the expense and effort to me.

I get all the Freeview channels through my Sky+ connection.

You can easily tell round here who's getting Freeview as they're the ones
with an aerial, oh, and are normally over 50 and have some contrived
political reason for not paying for Sky...when the truth is they're just
too tight.

Or rather it's a load of trash not worth paying for? And why would you
want to have Sky *and* cable?

Alex

In our area you can only get anologue Sky through the cable service. NTL are
yet to invest in the cable infrastructure.

Anyway, why's it a load of trash? Or need I ask as you fall inside my
demographics?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
These TVs with integrated Freeview. Will they receive Freeview when on
cable? I have never looked into this.

You doughnut. Try somewhere appropriate. Take your chav query off
onto uk.media.tv.cable, or free.uk.tv.bigbrother or somewhere.

Apologies to normal people. This man is clearly a lunatic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"RedOnRed" wrote in message

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...
These TVs with integrated Freeview. Will they receive Freeview when on
cable? I have never looked into this.

We get all our TV fed through cable here in Milton Keynes and you have to
get an aerial put on the roof to get the Freeview channels. Which hardly
seems worth the expense and effort to me.

I get all the Freeview channels through my Sky+ connection.

You can easily tell round here who's getting Freeview as they're the ones
with an aerial, oh, and are normally over 50 and have some contrived
political reason for not paying for Sky...when the truth is they're just
too tight.

I thought Milton Keynes banned external aerials. Paying £30-40 a month,
which may be near £500 a year for sweet FA on Sky is Freeview time. Don't
Sky have a one off deal to fit a dish that can receive Freeview better than
an aerial?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"RedOnRed" wrote in message

"Alex" wrote in message
RedOnRed wrote:
We get all our TV fed through cable here in Milton Keynes and you have
to get an aerial put on the roof to get the Freeview channels. Which
hardly seems worth the expense and effort to me.

I get all the Freeview channels through my Sky+ connection.

You can easily tell round here who's getting Freeview as they're the
ones with an aerial, oh, and are normally over 50 and have some
contrived political reason for not paying for Sky...when the truth is
they're just too tight.

Or rather it's a load of trash not worth paying for? And why would you
want to have Sky *and* cable?

Alex

In our area you can only get anologue Sky through the cable service. NTL
are yet to invest in the cable infrastructure.

So in your area NTL do not broadcast Freeview down their lines. You will
need an aerial to get it, unless on Sky?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Don't Sky have a one off deal to fit a dish that can receive
Freeview better than an aerial?

AIUI, that's not Freeview - it's FreeSAT. It may carry a similar (but not
identical) mix of channels, but it uses different technology and needs a
different sort of decoder (set top box). So a digital TV which contains the
equivalent of a Freeview STB won't be able to understand the signal from the
satellite.

I'm sure others will correct me if this is wrong!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RedOnRed

"RedOnRed" wrote in message

[...]

Milton Keynes have/did banned roof aerials, but (unsurprisingly) it's not
enforced. There have been quite a few rulings from the early days which have
since been broken like "no building should be higher then the highest tree".

If you can somehow get a Sky satellite dish fitted along with a decoder then
you can get all the Freeview channels without having to subscribe to Sky.

Anyway, why on the one hand are you saying that there's "sweet FA" on Sky
but yet you're trying hard to get the Freeview channels which are generally
all a few leagues below sweet FA in quality?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Roger Mills wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Don't Sky have a one off deal to fit a dish that can receive
Freeview better than an aerial?

AIUI, that's not Freeview - it's FreeSAT. It may carry a similar (but not
identical) mix of channels, but it uses different technology and needs a
different sort of decoder (set top box). So a digital TV which contains the
equivalent of a Freeview STB won't be able to understand the signal from the
satellite.

I'm sure others will correct me if this is wrong!

Nope, that sounds about spot on. The bundle of channels is different
(although there is an overlap)

Freeview ones he

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/dtt_channels.html

Sky he

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/?pID=3

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

RedOnRed wrote:

If you can somehow get a Sky satellite dish fitted along with a decoder then
you can get all the Freeview channels without having to subscribe to Sky.

Twaddle.

Many are the same granted, but there are many exceptions:

Freeview has More4, E4, FilmFour (coming soon), abc1, TMF, FTN, The Hits

There are plenty on freesat (mostly shopping and quiz channels) that are
not on freview, most useful is perhaps CNN

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Doctor Drivel wrote:

These TVs with integrated Freeview. Will they receive Freeview when on
cable? I have never looked into this.

The short answer is no. Two reasons, freeview is not supplied down
cable, and cable uses a different broadcast standard.

This is not to say you won't get some of the same channels delivered by
a variety of different digital services including cable, terrestrial,
and sat.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RedOnRed

"John Rumm" wrote in message
RedOnRed wrote:

If you can somehow get a Sky satellite dish fitted along with a decoder
then you can get all the Freeview channels without having to subscribe to
Sky.

Twaddle.

Many are the same granted, but there are many exceptions:

Freeview has More4, E4, FilmFour (coming soon), abc1, TMF, FTN, The Hits

There are plenty on freesat (mostly shopping and quiz channels) that are
not on freview, most useful is perhaps CNN

--
Cheers,

John.

Which bit's "twaddle"?

I stopped subscribing to Sky for a while and got all the Freeview channels
plus more through my satellite and decoder setup.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

RedOnRed wrote:

Which bit's "twaddle"?

The bit about getting *all* of the freeview channels. You gat many of
them, but there are a number which are only included in one of the paid
for sky bundles and not their freesat package.

Also worth noting IIUC is that you dont't get access to the sky EPG
without a subscription, and you can't have the Sky+ (i.e. PVR)
functionality either.

I stopped subscribing to Sky for a while and got all the Freeview channels
plus more through my satellite and decoder setup.

"For a while" meaning you now subscribe again? Or you stopped
subscribing a while ago?

If you *are* getting all the freeview channels including More4, E4, abc1
etc then you had better not tell em in case they take tham away again! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , John
Rumm writes
Roger Mills wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Don't Sky have a one off deal to fit a dish that can receive
Freeview better than an aerial?

AIUI, that's not Freeview - it's FreeSAT. It may carry a similar
(but not identical) mix of channels, but it uses different technology
and needs a different sort of decoder (set top box). So a digital TV
which contains the equivalent of a Freeview STB won't be able to
understand the signal from the satellite.
I'm sure others will correct me if this is wrong!

Nope, that sounds about spot on. The bundle of channels is different
(although there is an overlap)

Sky he

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/?pID=3

Does it require a dedicated sky box, or will any sat. decoder work ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
Doctor Drivel wrote:
These TVs with integrated Freeview. Will they receive Freeview when
on cable? I have never looked into this.

You doughnut. Try somewhere appropriate. Take your chav query off
onto uk.media.tv.cable, or free.uk.tv.bigbrother or somewhere.

Apologies to normal people. This man is clearly a lunatic.

Oh well, stay on your own, then. Get a 42" plasma screen so that
you can watch soaps on it in solitary splendour (thank goodness).
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Chris Bacon" wrote...
Doctor Drivel wrote:
These TVs with integrated Freeview. Will they receive Freeview when on
cable? I have never looked into this.
You doughnut. Try somewhere appropriate. Take your chav query off
onto uk.media.tv.cable, or free.uk.tv.bigbrother or somewhere.

Apologies to normal people. This man is clearly a lunatic.

Oh well, stay on your own, then. Get a 42" plasma screen so that
you can watch soaps on it in solitary splendour (thank goodness).

Flags. See how the Hawaian flag has the UK flag in the corner.
http://www.50states.com/flag/hiflag.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Chris Bacon wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

These TVs with integrated Freeview. Will they receive Freeview when
on cable? I have never looked into this.

You doughnut. Try somewhere appropriate. Take your chav query off
onto uk.media.tv.cable, or free.uk.tv.bigbrother or somewhere.

In this instance...

:-:

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
news
Who's this self-appointed diy group moderator CRISP BACON - or some
such stupid
name?

Oh yes, Mr Bacon. Only fit have his arse on the slicer.

Can you write to this news group in English grammar please?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Dave" wrote in message
Chris Bacon wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

These TVs with integrated Freeview. Will they receive Freeview when on
cable? I have never looked into this.

You doughnut. Try somewhere appropriate. Take your chav query off
onto uk.media.tv.cable, or free.uk.tv.bigbrother or somewhere.

In this instance...

:-:

Dave

Flags.
The American Confederate Stainless Banner. Lowered for the last time on 6th
November 1865 at Liverpool, England, when CSS Shenandoah surrendered to HMS
Donegal. Note the insert stars and bars and white background.

http://ngeorgia.com/images/2ndnat.gif

Flags.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

raden wrote:

Sky he

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/?pID=3

Does it require a dedicated sky box, or will any sat. decoder work ?

Dedicated box IIUC...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RedOnRed

"John Rumm" wrote in message
RedOnRed wrote:

[...]

It's all a long time ago now, but I seem to recall getting all of the
Freeview channels for nothing when I stopped subscribing to Sky.

Looking at the Freeview list i'm sure that would be the case. Sky supply all
those channels and you don't have to subscribe to them...so it would make
sense really and would you pay for any of them?

Do you have any experience of what I did or are you just basing it on
theory?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Bacon wrote:
Dave wrote:
Who's this self-appointed diy group moderator CRISP BACON

Not you again! Still miffed, eh? My heart bleeds. Grow up. Please
keep your nose out of a lovely exchange I expect to have with the
eminent Dr. Drivel.

Its a pint..if I kill filed you as well you would have total privacy..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare

Doctor Drivel wrote:
These TVs with integrated Freeview. Will they receive Freeview when on
cable? I have never looked into this.

You doughnut. Try somewhere appropriate. Take your chav query off
onto uk.media.tv.cable, or free.uk.tv.bigbrother or somewhere.

uk.tech.digital-tv would likely be an appropriate ng.

AIUI for cable you need to use an STB that matches whatever technology a
particular cable supplier is using. A Freeview STB or integrated Freeview
receiver will not work with cable.

--

Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
These TVs with integrated Freeview. Will they receive Freeview when on
cable? I have never looked into this.

Yes. Just cut the cable with a hacksaw and fix it in the aerial socket
with plenty of PTFE tape.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

RedOnRed wrote:

Looking at the Freeview list i'm sure that would be the case. Sky supply all
those channels and you don't have to subscribe to them...so it would make
sense really and would you pay for any of them?

Would I pay for any of them? Hmm tough call, if the answer was yes it
would be closely followed by "not much"! ;-) Film4 is probably worth
having, more4 and e4 can be OK. abc1 is not too bad. FTN is a waste of
space. The music channels are OK if you like that sort of thing, but I
expect you could substitute any other music channels and not notice much
difference. The best one is probably UK TV History which is also
subscription only on sky.

Do you have any experience of what I did or are you just basing it on
theory?

I am going by the list of channels that sky say are included in the free
sat package he

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/?pID=3

and by what users of the freesat package over on uk.tech.digital-tv have
to say about it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RedOnRed

"John Rumm" wrote in message
RedOnRed wrote:

[...]

Well i've just totted up how many free channels you can get from Freeview
and through Sky...

Freeview - 41
Sky - 169 approx

Baring in mind we're generally not talking quality TV and the emphasis is
more on quantity of channels and you'll have to pay to setup both, so the
Sky package looks a far better deal, especially if you're already a Sky
subscriber and already have the kit and cancel your subscription.

Personally, I think people that go to the expense and effort of paying to
have an aerial put on their roofs just to get crappy Freeview channels might
as well put a banner up there while they're at it saying "We're Too Tight
Fisted Old and Cantankerous To Pay For Sky".

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Personally, I think people that go to the expense and effort of paying to
have an aerial put on their roofs just to get crappy Freeview channels

might
as well put a banner up there while they're at it saying "We're Too Tight
Fisted Old and Cantankerous To Pay For Sky".

Or we don't want a horrible chavvy dish on the wall, making us look like
benefit scum.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Bacon wrote:
Dave wrote:
Who's this self-appointed diy group moderator CRISP BACON

Not you again! Still miffed, eh? My heart bleeds. Grow up. Please
keep your nose out of a lovely exchange I expect to have with the
eminent Dr. Drivel.

Its a pint..if I kill filed you as well you would have total privacy..

Eh?

What I am saying is that Drivel is kill filed..if I and all the others
who have done likewise, kill filed you as well, than our desktops would
be free on banal comments and crap disinformation, and you two could
argue in private.

Mixing Freeview and Cable TV to domestic disbn sys? T i m UK diy 9 April 21st 06 05:35 PM
Freeview connections to VCR etc. [email protected] UK diy 2 September 25th 05 05:11 PM
OT Freeview Antenna Arthur UK diy 15 August 24th 05 09:08 PM
No sound from freeview box. Shabs UK diy 13 February 14th 05 09:36 PM
Freeview Set Top Boxes peter UK diy 13 December 16th 03 05:49 PM