Posted to uk.d-i-y
-

Default Dry Lining & Curtains

Hi. Just a quick question about installing curtains into plasterboard.

Our nan has just moved into a new disabled flat and the whole place is dry
lined (hollow walls).

She has two 3.6m wide windows which need curtains and poles / tracks.

Also just to complicate things she would prefer one of the long windows to
have venetian blinds.

I've been to B&Q and checked out the fixings but my question would be how
strong is the actual dry lining itself.

I'm sure I could use the correct fixings to keep the non lined curtains held
up, but what worries me is if the actual plasterboard itself falls down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Our nan has just moved into a new disabled flat and the whole place is dry
lined (hollow walls).

She has two 3.6m wide windows which need curtains and poles / tracks.

There's usually a lintel above the window opening. Have you investigated
this? You may find you actually need something more suited to reinforced
concrete. (i.e. SDS drill, decent 6 or 7mm SDS twist bit and some rawl
plugs).

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

-GB-Carpy wrote:
Hi. Just a quick question about installing curtains into plasterboard.

Our nan has just moved into a new disabled flat and the whole place
is dry lined (hollow walls).

She has two 3.6m wide windows which need curtains and poles / tracks.

It's unlikely that the exterior walls are hollow, more likely the dreaded
dot & dab dry lining. If you tap the walls & listen you can hear where the
dabs of plasterboard adhesive are. You can fix into the block behind.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Slick

"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi. Just a quick question about installing curtains into plasterboard.

Our nan has just moved into a new disabled flat and the whole place is dry
lined (hollow walls).

She has two 3.6m wide windows which need curtains and poles / tracks.

Also just to complicate things she would prefer one of the long windows to
have venetian blinds.

I've been to B&Q and checked out the fixings but my question would be how
strong is the actual dry lining itself.

I'm sure I could use the correct fixings to keep the non lined curtains
held up, but what worries me is if the actual plasterboard itself falls
down.

How about sanding / painting a length of 2x1 and fastening it to the
uprights behind the plasterboard?
If you prod around to find them, they will be hidden by the wood anyway?

cheers
SlicK

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 17:13:26 GMT, "Slick" wrote:

|"-GB-Carpy" wrote in message
.uk...
| Hi. Just a quick question about installing curtains into plasterboard.
|
| Our nan has just moved into a new disabled flat and the whole place is dry
| lined (hollow walls).
|
| She has two 3.6m wide windows which need curtains and poles / tracks.
|
| Also just to complicate things she would prefer one of the long windows to
| have venetian blinds.
|
| I've been to B&Q and checked out the fixings but my question would be how
| strong is the actual dry lining itself.
|
| I'm sure I could use the correct fixings to keep the non lined curtains
| held up, but what worries me is if the actual plasterboard itself falls
| down.
|

|How about sanding / painting a length of 2x1 and fastening it to the
|uprights behind the plasterboard?
|If you prod around to find them, they will be hidden by the wood anyway?

I tap the surface to find where the supports for the plasterboard might be
then drill holes with a 1mm drill to find the exact position, then put a
bigger hole to support whatever I am fixing to the wall. 1mm holes
disappear very satisfactorily without redecoration and disappear completely
after a coat of paint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Slick wrote:
"-GB-Carpy" wrote ...

Hi. Just a quick question about installing curtains into plasterboard
Our nan has just moved into a new disabled flat and the whole place is dry
lined (hollow walls)
She has two 3.6m wide windows which need curtains and poles / tracks.
Also just to complicate things she would prefer one of the long windows to
have venetian blinds
I've been to B&Q and checked out the fixings but my question would be how
strong is the actual dry lining itself
I'm sure I could use the correct fixings to keep the non lined curtains
held up, but what worries me is if the actual plasterboard itself falls
down

How about sanding / painting a length of 2x1 and fastening it to the
uprights behind the plasterboard?

It could be glued on, instead/as well - a good idea, Mn. Slick.

If you prod around to find them, they will be hidden by the wood anyway?

Yes, no, maybe. Is it a question, or a statement?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
I tap the surface to find where the supports for the plasterboard might be
then drill holes with a 1mm drill to find the exact position [finding battens]

Use a bradawl.