Senior Member

Default lining paper puffing up

I am painting my home with professional decorators.

In some wall areas the wall paper has puffed up after applying two coats of matt emulsion. The swelling is very evident, especially in corners and some seams.

We are going to try to fix the problem by regluing or, if this does not look good enough, by stripping out the wall paper, re-lining and painting.

The problem is that the swelling is happening too often:

After painting one ceiling the lining paper also puffed up. I told them to strip and line, which they did. However, even after they put brand new 1200 lining paper, some bubbles have showed up, especially near seams.

The wall paper in all the stairs and landings was in reasonably good condition but I told them to strip and re-line because I did not want any bubbles. They are stripping it now but I fear that it is going to swell up again even with new lining paper.

We are using Dulux Trade emulsion, normal and Diamond grade.

What are they doing wrong?

Thanks,

Antonio
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

asalcedo wrote:
What are they doing wrong [hanging paper so it bubbles]?

Probably not soaking the paper for long enough, or
it's drying before it's hung, or not brushing it
enough, or the surface to be covered needs sizing
(unlikely as it's just been stripped). Paper of this
thickness really needs a long soaking time (or *real*
soaking, in a trough). How long have they been leaving
it to soak?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
sPoNiX

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:27:39 +0000, asalcedo
wrote:

I am painting my home with professional decorators.

In some wall areas the wall paper has puffed up after applying two
coats of matt emulsion. The swelling is very evident, especially in
corners and some seams.

We are going to try to fix the problem by regluing or, if this does not
look good enough, by stripping out the wall paper, re-lining and
painting.

Are you using Solvite walpaper adhesive? If so, try genuine Polycell
next time, allowing it to really soak into the paper before sticking
to the wall.

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

asalcedo wrote:
[...]

Not sealing the wall, or not soaking the paper for long enough. The
heavier the paper, the more important it is to do both.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

asalcedo wrote:
I am painting my home with professional decorators.

What are they doing wrong?

Thanks,

Antonio

Eh!

--?
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
asalcedo wrote:
I am painting my home with professional decorators.
What are they doing wrong?

Eh!

What? Do you think they need diluting (they're a bit
too thick)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Chris Bacon wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
asalcedo wrote:
I am painting my home with professional decorators.
What are they doing wrong?

Eh!

What? Do you think they need diluting (they're a bit
too thick)?

"Three Stooges" spring to mind. ;-)

--?
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Chris Bacon wrote:
asalcedo wrote:
What are they doing wrong [hanging paper so it bubbles]?

Probably not soaking the paper for long enough, or
it's drying before it's hung, or not brushing it
enough

What he said. When pasting you should align one edge of the paper with
the edge of the table, and run the brush right off the edge in a criss-
cross motion so nothing's missed, then repeat with the other edge. Make
sure that the paper hanger isn't working faster than the paper paster,
otherwise it won't soak long enough - putting more paste on is no
substitute for letting it sit for a few minutes so it softens.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In some wall areas the wall paper has puffed up after applying two
coats of matt emulsion. The swelling is very evident, especially in
corners and some seams.

What are they doing wrong?

Perhaps you have some discarded sugar puffs stuck behind the paper?

sponix