Rob

Default Q: Replacing Bandsaw Footbrake Lining

Hi all,

I'm reconditioning a Centauro 20" woodworking bandsaw. The saw has a
foot operated brake for stopping the driven wheel. When I disassembled
the bottom wheel, the brake pad on the foot brake was worn completely
down to metal and needs to be replaced. This is a specialty item on
an ancient bandsaw so the part will not be available locally.

I am assuming I can replace the pad with a lining material available
from an auto parts supplier. What is the best method to attach the
new lining to the pad (epoxy)? Will lining material be able to be
formed to an arc to match the drum circumference?

Thanks for any help.
- Rob
Gunner

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:39:25 -0400, Rob wrote:

Hi all,

I'm reconditioning a Centauro 20" woodworking bandsaw. The saw has a
foot operated brake for stopping the driven wheel. When I disassembled
the bottom wheel, the brake pad on the foot brake was worn completely
down to metal and needs to be replaced. This is a specialty item on
an ancient bandsaw so the part will not be available locally.

I am assuming I can replace the pad with a lining material available
from an auto parts supplier. What is the best method to attach the
new lining to the pad (epoxy)? Will lining material be able to be
formed to an arc to match the drum circumference?

Thanks for any help.
- Rob

For what its worth..fire hose canvas works pretty good for brake
material for things like this.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 08:36:09 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

[...]

Also, regular, good old fashioned cork. Vacuum bottle cork. Wine
bottle cork.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Bugs

Try a piece of saddle leather glued on with Gorilla glue.
Bugs

Bill Marrs

Check your local area for a company that specializes in brakes/clutches and
the like.
Around here, (Oregon), there is "Friction Materials", "Ott's", and a couple
more. They
will have the material, and correct means of attachment.

Bill

"Rob" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm reconditioning a Centauro 20" woodworking bandsaw. The saw has a
foot operated brake for stopping the driven wheel. When I disassembled
the bottom wheel, the brake pad on the foot brake was worn completely
down to metal and needs to be replaced. This is a specialty item on
an ancient bandsaw so the part will not be available locally.

I am assuming I can replace the pad with a lining material available
from an auto parts supplier. What is the best method to attach the
new lining to the pad (epoxy)? Will lining material be able to be
formed to an arc to match the drum circumference?

Thanks for any help.
- Rob

Eric R Snow

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:39:25 -0400, Rob wrote:

Hi all,

I'm reconditioning a Centauro 20" woodworking bandsaw. The saw has a
foot operated brake for stopping the driven wheel. When I disassembled
the bottom wheel, the brake pad on the foot brake was worn completely
down to metal and needs to be replaced. This is a specialty item on
an ancient bandsaw so the part will not be available locally.

I am assuming I can replace the pad with a lining material available
from an auto parts supplier. What is the best method to attach the
new lining to the pad (epoxy)? Will lining material be able to be
formed to an arc to match the drum circumference?

Thanks for any help.
- Rob

A few years back my Ford 9N needed new brake shoes. The way they work
is the lining is riveted to the shoe. The linings were curved when I
took them out of the box but not curved as much as the shoe. The
lining was easily curved more by hand when pressed against the shoe. I
bet that a good auto parts store would have these types of linings
available and you could either rivet or epoxy them. I'd do both. Use
the rivets to clamp the lining to shoe in your bandsaw.
ERS
Rob

Cool! I have both of these materials lying about the workshop. I'll
give it a try. Thanks.

On 6 Jul 2005 05:14:35 -0700, "Bugs" wrote:

Try a piece of saddle leather glued on with Gorilla glue.
Bugs

selling a bandsaw to someone who doesn't do curves... Silvan Woodworking 37 January 20th 05 07:22 AM
Old Delta bandsaw questions Jonathan Woodworking 1 November 20th 04 10:27 PM
first time bandsaw user/owner blade question Wookie Woodworking 4 February 29th 04 03:01 AM
Maloof: “Then I just cut ________ on the bandsaw charlie b Woodworking 12 November 16th 03 04:53 PM
Bandsaw Box... jim Woodworking 8 November 1st 03 05:07 PM