Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vortex

Default MILA locks

Hi There,

My daughter managed to lose a house key today, so I need to change the front
door lock as a precaution.

The door itself is a UPVC job with a "MILA" branded lock.

I've only ever seen old fashioned Legge/Yale type locks in the Sheds so I
guess first stop needs to be a reputable locksmith.

Is this an easy job (I guess it must be)?

Any advance warnings appreciated. Pix he

www.hernibles.com/lock

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

On Mon, 22 May 2006 19:34:22 +0100, "Vortex"
wrote:

Hi There,

My daughter managed to lose a house key today, so I need to change the front
door lock as a precaution.

The door itself is a UPVC job with a "MILA" branded lock.

I've only ever seen old fashioned Legge/Yale type locks in the Sheds so I
guess first stop needs to be a reputable locksmith.

Is this an easy job (I guess it must be)?

Any advance warnings appreciated. Pix he

www.hernibles.com/lock

AFAICS it's a Euro Cylinder lock.

You need only change the cylinder. Some of the sheds do them (beware
they come in different lengths, 2 dimensions to measure, see below).

It is retained by a single screw which screws in from the face of the
door.

http://www.era-security.com/H&A_EURO_CYLINDER.htm

Plenty of suppliers on the internet.

DG
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Vortex wrote:
Hi There,

My daughter managed to lose a house key today, so I need to change the front
door lock as a precaution.

The door itself is a UPVC job with a "MILA" branded lock.

I've only ever seen old fashioned Legge/Yale type locks in the Sheds so I
guess first stop needs to be a reputable locksmith.

Is this an easy job (I guess it must be)?

Any advance warnings appreciated. Pix he

Dead easy to work on, and if you need any non-standard bits you can get
them from http://www.mila.co.uk/ (phone order).

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|Hi There,
|
|My daughter managed to lose a house key today, so I need to change the front
|door lock as a precaution.
|
|The door itself is a UPVC job with a "MILA" branded lock.
|
|I've only ever seen old fashioned Legge/Yale type locks in the Sheds so I
|guess first stop needs to be a reputable locksmith.
|
|Is this an easy job (I guess it must be)?
|
|Any advance warnings appreciated. Pix he
|
|www.hernibles.com/lock

Mine are the same and the supplier (Coral) offered me a new barrel from
stock, must take them up on it. They said remove one bolt to get it out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vortex

AFAICS it's a Euro Cylinder lock.

You need only change the cylinder. Some of the sheds do them (beware
they come in different lengths, 2 dimensions to measure, see below).

It is retained by a single screw which screws in from the face of the
door.

http://www.era-security.com/H&A_EURO_CYLINDER.htm

Plenty of suppliers on the internet.

DG

I removed the said screw and indeed the barrel does come loose but won't
pull right out, even with the handles removed.

Fading light, hunger and rain dictate I'll have another go tomorrow.

david

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"Vortex" wrote in message

AFAICS it's a Euro Cylinder lock.

You need only change the cylinder. Some of the sheds do them (beware
they come in different lengths, 2 dimensions to measure, see below).

It is retained by a single screw which screws in from the face of the
door.

http://www.era-security.com/H&A_EURO_CYLINDER.htm

Plenty of suppliers on the internet.

DG

I removed the said screw and indeed the barrel does come loose but won't
pull right out, even with the handles removed.

Fading light, hunger and rain dictate I'll have another go tomorrow.

Most of them require the key to be inserted and turned slightly to release
them...
You shouldn't need to take the handles off!

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

On Mon, 22 May 2006 20:27:07 +0100, "Vortex"
wrote:

AFAICS it's a Euro Cylinder lock.

You need only change the cylinder. Some of the sheds do them (beware
they come in different lengths, 2 dimensions to measure, see below).

It is retained by a single screw which screws in from the face of the
door.

http://www.era-security.com/H&A_EURO_CYLINDER.htm

Plenty of suppliers on the internet.

DG

I removed the said screw and indeed the barrel does come loose but won't
pull right out, even with the handles removed.

Fiddle it about with the key in positions various. :-)

Fading light, hunger and rain dictate I'll have another go tomorrow.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex wrote:
Hi There,

My daughter managed to lose a house key today, so I need to change the front
door lock as a precaution.

The door itself is a UPVC job with a "MILA" branded lock.

I've only ever seen old fashioned Legge/Yale type locks in the Sheds so I
guess first stop needs to be a reputable locksmith.

Is this an easy job (I guess it must be)?

Any advance warnings appreciated. Pix he

www.hernibles.com/lock

David

Eurolock barrels are easy to replace. The only gotcha is they come in
differing lengths at each end, so you need to measure the 2 lengths
either side of the middle bit before setting off. Also there are 2
different ways of describing the lengths, and they use the same
phraseology, so again you need to check what youre getting by
measuring. Once youve got the right one its a 2 minute job.

A 6 pin antidrill version, £17 instead of £6, reduces some house
insurance policy premiums, and may be required to comply and thus keep
valid some policies.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Vortex

wrote in message
ups.com...
Vortex wrote:
[...]

+++++++

Thanks,

Well I extracted the lock and have taken a couple of pix to show the
locksmith.

http://home.btconnect.com/vortex/lock/ (BTW This JAlbum software I recently
discovered is fantastic)

I agree I will get a "premium" antidrill barrel. Am in the process of
renewing home insurance with a new company (getting quotes at the minute) as
I think I am being shafted by Zurich.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Vortex" contains these words:

I removed the said screw and indeed the barrel does come loose but won't
pull right out, even with the handles removed.

You need to turn the key to about 30 degrees one way or the other to
align the operating tab with the slot.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

Vortex wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Vortex wrote:
[...]

Why are you using a locksmith when you have clearly managed to get the
Euro Cylinder out. Just buy a new one and put it in. Plenty of places
online you can get them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
vortex2

"Richard Conway" wrote in message
Vortex wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Vortex wrote:
[...]

The job is done, locksmith is the only local place with stock AND ability to
make extra keys.

I wanted one immediately because daughter lost her key with address
information too. I have probably paid a tenner more than I could have done
online but hey-ho.......I'm relaxed about it.

Removing cylinder from euro locks Richard Conway UK diy 12 May 11th 06 09:10 AM
Glue in locks Simon UK diy 20 February 19th 06 05:01 PM
Beefing up apartment security - insurance standards, locks, etc. Mark UK diy 2 August 23rd 05 01:12 AM
Window locks on possible fire escapes? [email protected] UK diy 4 August 16th 05 10:44 PM
RUKO locks Dougie Nisbet UK diy 0 November 21st 03 10:04 PM