Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon

Default Glue in locks

My brother owns a shop on a main road. The local rugrats keep filling his
locks with glue and he has them changed, I would say, once a month.
Is there anything that dissolves glue or could he use anything that would
prevent this. I assume they are just mortise locks if that helps.

many thanks
Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If they're padlocks on roll-down shutters or the like - the may be
repeating it in the hope he doesn't use all the security measures one
night...

Locksmiths must have encountered this - maybe thay can suggest a
keyless system to avoid the problem.

I'm told Nitromoors is effective on epoxy resins - maybe soaking the
locks in WD40 in advance would help prevent whatever glue it is getting
any grip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

Simon wrote:
My brother owns a shop on a main road. The local rugrats keep filling
his locks with glue and he has them changed, I would say, once a
month. Is there anything that dissolves glue or could he use anything that
would prevent this. I assume they are just mortise locks if that
helps.

Obvious CCTV camera and a sign? Won't dissolve glue but might deter little
darlings.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AJB

I was told to fill 'em with vaseline (sp?). Smear it all over the key
then push it in and out for a while. (For locks on the secutiry
shutters..)

In article ,
says...
My brother owns a shop on a main road. The local rugrats keep filling his
locks with glue and he has them changed, I would say, once a month.
Is there anything that dissolves glue or could he use anything that would
prevent this. I assume they are just mortise locks if that helps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Simon" wrote in message
My brother owns a shop on a main road. The local rugrats keep filling his
locks with glue and he has them changed, I would say, once a month.
Is there anything that dissolves glue or could he use anything that would
prevent this. I assume they are just mortise locks if that helps.

Just think yourself lucky they don't have a car battery and some welding
rods.

If its padlocks on shutters fix a metal box over the padlock so they have to
reachup inside to get the glue in.
They wont bother unless they have a grudge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Simon wrote:
My brother owns a shop on a main road. The local rugrats keep filling
his locks with glue and he has them changed, I would say, once a month.
Is there anything that dissolves glue or could he use anything that
would prevent this. I assume they are just mortise locks if that helps.

A shop I saw had the electric shutter operated by a remote control - so no
external locks. Wouldn't take long to pay for that if new locks are needed
once a month.

--
*In some places, C:\ is the root of all directories *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Simon wrote:
My brother owns a shop on a main road. The local rugrats keep filling his
locks with glue and he has them changed, I would say, once a month.
Is there anything that dissolves glue or could he use anything that would
prevent this. I assume they are just mortise locks if that helps.

many thanks
Simon

If its superglue, you COULD soak the locks in a jar of acetone..that
does work..but its not cheap. ONLY ACETONE WORKS. other cellulose
thinners do NOT.

Nitromethane also works,but its even more expensive and even harder to get.

Acetone in bulk can be got from places that do supplies for glass fibre
layup.

Or buy a 100 bottles of nail varnish remover.

You will need to spray a thin oil inside afterwards as well
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon wrote:

My brother owns a shop on a main road. The local rugrats keep filling his
locks with glue and he has them changed, I would say, once a month.
Is there anything that dissolves glue or could he use anything that would
prevent this. I assume they are just mortise locks if that helps.

many thanks
Simon

following all the good advice, just one last possible: use a bit of
metal plate to fit a £1 padlock over the real padlock, then all they
can trash is the worthless one. And lots of oil so the glue cant stick.

A real camera, unseen, might get the offender prosecuted. That would
put off the others.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:29:41 -0000, "Simon"
wrote:

My brother owns a shop on a main road. The local rugrats keep filling his
locks with glue and he has them changed, I would say, once a month.
Is there anything that dissolves glue or could he use anything that would
prevent this. I assume they are just mortise locks if that helps.

Stake out the place, catch them in the act, superglue them to the
ground. In case the glue doesn't bond immediately then a nail gun
through the hands and feet might help to secure them while it does.
You may wish to break a few of their bones at this point or apply
large size steel capped boots to their genitals.

Oh and get a good alibi :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Has your brother not heard of a Brenn Gun. Very effective at close
range.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Harrison

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:31:51 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Simon wrote:
My brother owns a shop on a main road. The local rugrats keep filling his
locks with glue and he has them changed, I would say, once a month.
Is there anything that dissolves glue or could he use anything that would
prevent this. I assume they are just mortise locks if that helps.

many thanks
Simon

If its superglue, you COULD soak the locks in a jar of acetone..that
does work..but its not cheap. ONLY ACETONE WORKS. other cellulose
thinners do NOT.

Nitromethane also works,but its even more expensive and even harder to get.

I believe Nitromors paint stripper contains this - it certainly dissolves epoxies, but maybe a bit
too gloopy for a confined space like a lock.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon

"Simon" wrote in message
My brother owns a shop on a main road. The local rugrats keep filling his
locks with glue and he has them changed, I would say, once a month.
Is there anything that dissolves glue or could he use anything that would
prevent this. I assume they are just mortise locks if that helps.

many thanks
Simon

Thanks to al of you for your help. The thought had crossed my mind to nail
them to the floor or electrocute the handle.

Thanks again

Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Stanton

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 01:37:40 -0800, dom wrote:

If they're padlocks on roll-down shutters or the like - the may be
repeating it in the hope he doesn't use all the security measures one
night...

In which case borrow a f**king big alsation for a few weeks.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Simon wrote:

Is there anything that dissolves glue or could he use anything that
would prevent this. I assume they are just mortise locks if that
helps.

I wonder if a liberal application of silicone grease would work. Pack the
lock with it and it might stop the glue sticking to anything.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:07:47 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Simon wrote:

Is there anything that dissolves glue or could he use anything that
would prevent this. I assume they are just mortise locks if that
helps.

I wonder if a liberal application of silicone grease would work. Pack the
lock with it and it might stop the glue sticking to anything.

It's no doubt illegal, but I'd want to coat the padlock in
Nitromors...that'd be a deterrent (after the first time)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Simon wrote:

Is there anything that dissolves glue or could he use anything that
would prevent this. I assume they are just mortise locks if that
helps.

I wonder if a liberal application of silicone grease would work. Pack the
lock with it and it might stop the glue sticking to anything.

In the aerospace industry, we had a problem with this.

After contamination, the paint would just not stick and it was the devil
of a job to get rid of. So I would think that it could well be your answer.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Dave wrote:

In the aerospace industry, we had a problem with this.

After contamination, the paint would just not stick and it was the
devil of a job to get rid of. So I would think that it could well be
your answer.

Good point that. Car valeters use loads of silicone on vinyl trim.
Bodyshops hate the stuff because of that very problem.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:48:38 GMT, Mike Harrison
wrote:

Nitromethane also works,but its even more expensive and even harder to get.

I believe Nitromors paint stripper contains this

Dichloromethane and methanol.

Most mortice locks are relatively glue-proof and can be improved by
filling them with vaseline. Superglue won't hurt them, PU or epoxy will
(but are less common with the toerags). Pin locks ("Yale" cylinders)
are the ones that are easily glued. Greasing them up is a bad idea too.

Best thing is catching the little pikey scumbag in the act, gluing their
hands to the shop door and leaving them there overnight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Andy Dingley wrote:

Best thing is catching the little pikey scumbag in the act, gluing their
hands to the shop door and leaving them there overnight.

ROTFL

That appeals to me, I don't quite know why though :-)

Dave